Network Vision/LTE - Colorado Market (Denver/Colo Springs/Fort Collins/Pueblo/Grand Jct)

Craig

You should ask the Rockies what they are doing about enterprise grade Wi-Fi at Coors Field. The NFL is mandating its venues meet certain Wi-Fi availability and capacity standards. MLB should do likewise.

AJ

Well I don't go to the games. I just hang out at the bars with everyone else.

Ok, are you sure it's the LTE Spark icon?

None of the sites near that location have LTE accepted. So if you are picking up LTE, it's from a site that likely isn't CSFB ready.

What band of LTE are you getting? I need to see some engineering screens or Signal Check Pro screenshots before we can really figure out what's going on. It sounds like you just have a very, very weak signal, which is why it would be unusable.

Yes I'm sure. I think I have seen the icon spin once or twice

Well I don't go to the games. I just hang out at the bars with everyone else.

If this were nearby and the people inside the stadiums were on Wi-Fi, then game crowds would no longer suck up all of the capacity on the surrounding macro sites.

AJ

Does the spark icon come on for all bands or just 41? Before this update to spark I was able to get lte. Usually band 41. Obviously it didn't stay connected long but at least a few minutes. Now after update I get nothing just the icon and no bars. My other question was the new tower that just became 3g accepted and I'd broadcasting 800 is doing what others are doing, showing the icon and no activity, no bars. I will get some screen shots either tonight or tomorrow.

If this were nearby and the people inside the stadiums were on Wi-Fi, then game crowds would no longer suck up all of the capacity on the surrounding macro sites.

AJ

Yes..just across the street grin the stadium. I do believe it gets better during the game but the festivities before, forget it.

A Triband device does not need to be connected to CSFB on the LTE site it is connected to, it just needs to be connected to CSFB on the CDMA site it is connected to.  So if you are on CDMA 800 (which all should be CSFB connected), you would be able to connect to LTE.  Even if that CDMA 800 site is 20 miles away.  It's true of CDMA 1900 too.  However there is still a lot of legacy CDMA 1900 out there, but we know that all CDMA 800 is CSFB capable.

Robert

I guess I don't fully understand. A tri-band device only connects to one band at a time, is the device checking CDMA while still connected to LTE?

I assumed it had to be on the site with LTE, because here, everytime a site gets LTE activated, it's not CSFB, and kicks tri-band devices off until it is. This happens despite being in range of a site that is CSFB ready. 

I guess I don't fully understand. A tri-band device only connects to one band at a time, is the device checking CDMA while still connected to LTE?

I assumed it had to be on the site with LTE, because here, everytime a site gets LTE activated, it's not CSFB, and kicks tri-band devices off until it is. This happens despite being in range of a site that is CSFB ready. 

All LTE sites are connected to the CSFB network.  But it cannot push through on the 3G side if there is no CSFB connection there too.  CSFB needs a full circuit back from your device, through LTE, through the network and back via 1x to your phone.  The standard pre-Samsung 1x network cannot do this.  It is CSFB that does this switch.  CSFB leaves the voice network on standby for the device.  The Samsung LTE eCSFB does not work with the legacy OEM's CSFB.  Whereas the Ericsson LTE eCSFB does work with Nortel's legacy CSFB.

When a Triband device connects to LTE, it sends a signal through CSFB on the network back to the device via 1x.  If it sees your device again, it stays connected to LTE.  If it does not, it kicks it down.  It's the 1x connection back to the device that is CSFB capable that it's looking for.  All LTE is CSFB capable.  No CSFB on the 1x connection, no LTE.

In fact, some of the problems why people aren't getting phone calls is because they start out on a site that is CSFB capable.  But when the call comes in, the device is no longer connected to CSFB and it cannot get off LTE to initiate the call.  The call goes to voicemail.

Robert

• Like 1

uploadfromtaptalk1391641722254.jpg this is what signal check does. Sometimes it says connected to lte but again it's not useable lte. This was done on a non 3g accepted site on 103rd and federal. Wimax site.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

attachicon.gifuploadfromtaptalk1391641650823.jpg here a shot of the icon I get

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

Unfortunately, the Spark icon works for all bands.  Not just Band 41.  This is an error in judgment on Sprint's part.  :td:

Robert

Unfortunately, the Spark icon works for all bands. Not just Band 41. This is an error in judgment on Sprint's part. :td:

Robert

Oh. Well I feel dumb. I thought that was just for spark. So those icons are for any of the three bands then?

All LTE sites are connected to the CSFB network. But it cannot push through on the 3G side if there is no CSFB connection there too. CSFB needs a full circuit back from your device, through LTE, through the network and back via 1x to your phone. The standard pre-Samsung 1x network cannot do this. It is CSFB that does this switch. CSFB leaves the voice network on standby for the device. The Samsung LTE eCSFB does not work with the legacy OEM's CSFB. Whereas the Ericsson LTE eCSFB does work with Nortel's legacy CSFB.

When a Triband device connects to LTE, it sends a signal through CSFB on the network back to the device via 1x. If it sees your device again, it stays connected to LTE. If it does not, it kicks it down. It's the 1x connection back to the device that is CSFB capable that it's looking for. All LTE is CSFB capable. No CSFB on the 1x connection, no LTE.

In fact, some of the problems why people aren't getting phone calls is because they start out on a site that is CSFB capable. But when the call comes in, the device is no longer connected to CSFB and it cannot get off LTE to initiate the call. The call goes to voicemail.

Robert

Ok so I'm basically on always 1x so no csfb and no lte. What will it say when I'm not on 1x then? That's why I'm not connecting to that newly 3g accepted tower and really can't connect to anything lte right now until wet go live? Thanks again

Oh. Well I feel dumb. I thought that was just for spark. So those icons are for any of the three bands then?

Unfortunately, yes.  This is the kind of confusion I knew would happen.  I don't see any advantage of Sprint using the Spark icon for all LTE, while they are promoting Spark runs up to 60Mbps.

Robert

Ok so I'm basically on always 1x so no csfb and no lte. What will it say when I'm not on 1x then? That's why I'm not connecting to that newly 3g accepted tower and really can't connect to anything lte right now until wet go live? Thanks again

The network will throw a Triband device off the LTE network if it cannot connect back to your device via CSFB.  It sends you back to the 3G network so you will still be able to receive calls.  If the 3G signal is too weak, then you will be disconnected from everything.  The only way to force a Triband phone onto LTE when it cannot connect to CSFB is by putting the device in LTE Only mode.

Robert

I have some other screen shots of you like or do you get what I'm saying? Basically I need to chill for the next thirty days as I think Merlin was saying

I'm curious what band you were connecting to, if the connection last long enough to get an engineering screenshot.

I've also never heard of 1x800 being labeled "Secondary 800."

I guess you do not like my writing.

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/blog/1/entry-347-whats-the-frequency-kenneth-interpreting-your-engineering-screen-part-two/

;)

AJ

Hmm.. not sure what to make of that.

You are not connected to LTE at all. I don't know why it is displaying the Spark icon.

I've also never heard of 1x800 being labeled "Secondary 800."

All LG devices I have used refer to CDMA 800 as "Secondary 800".  I believe they consider Cellular band primary.

Robert