Am I understanding this correctly?

Migrated from Original Forum. Originally Posted 20 November 2011

I think I remember seeing somewhere that once the LTE deployment begins, anywhere there was a native Sprint 3G signal, you would get LTE when the tower is upgraded. Does that sound familiar to anyone?

Migrated from Original Forum. Originally Posted 20 November 2011

I don't think it will happen that smoothly. I believe once a tower is upgraded it will be LTE ready, but will be activated by market, not just because it's ready to go, although there may be a soft launch before the official announcement like they did with WiMax. Since we're both in the metro area and in the 21st largest market according to the feds, I wouldn't expect to get LTE turned on until the 2nd QTR of 2013 at the latest. Just my guess on how Sprint is working the 8 largest markets and the areas w/o WiMax first.

Migrated from Original Forum. Originally Posted 21 November 2011

It is believed that once a tower receives full Network Vision upgrades, all the LTE equipment will be installed and ready to go. But when Sprint will turn that signal on and make it active is unknown at this time.

Some believe that Sprint will not turn on the LTE where it's been deployed until LTE devices are released in Mid 2012. I believe they will turn on LTE at every tower when they install the equipment. This will allow them to continue to test and fine tune while they are deploying Network Vision. Sprint techs and Sprint execs do have LTE USB dongles that will run on Sprint's frequencies. This was confirmed by a field tech who reads our Facebook page. And they are already using them on a few towers in Chicago.

However, if I were to guess, I don't think Sprint will announce any LTE cities until they have devices to sell. I think then they will say something like, "Our LTE devices are now for sale, oh, and by the way, our LTE network is now live in 30 cities."

But what I would do, if I was them, I would announce every city the moment it goes live. Even though there are not LTE devices for sale. And show LTE coverage maps. And get people excited about LTE. And they can see the rapid progress. And then they see LTE show up in therr neighborhood. So, on the day that LTE devices go on sale, they are standing in line at the Sprint store to buy their device. Because they know this time it's real, and they Sprint's rapid progress.

But that's just me! ;)

• Like 2

Migrated from Original Forum. Originally Posted 21 November 2011

Verizon has really surprised me on their ability to execute month after month on lighting up major metros on schedule. I'm really hoping that Sprint is going to be just as smooth.

Who does VZ network maintenance? Do they contract out like AT&T and Sprint?

Migrated from Original Forum. Originally Posted 22 November 2011

Verizon has done a great job, largely because of these three parts...

• Part of it is because 700MHz is faster to deploy because of it's much larger coverage area (approximately 5 times greater than 2500MHz). Having to deploy only one fifth the number of sites that Clearwire had to per market makes for faster and less expensive deployment.
  • Part of it is because they planned it out far in advance. They committed to LTE 2 years in advance of deployment, waited for pricing to come down so their money would go farther and detailed everything to the Nth degree.
  • The last part is because Verizon is a well run carrier.

I have no idea who specifically maintains Verizon's network.

Migrated from Original Forum. Originally Posted 5 January 2012

The biggest changes we will see in Sprint's network will come in 2013 when the 800Mhz spectrum is completely decoupled from iDEN and is moved to LTE-Advanced. Because Sprint's network tower configuration is engineered for 1900Mhz, the 800Mhz will allow for so much overlapping coverage, penetration, and with 1900Mhz and (eventually) 2.5Ghz holding most of the capacity, coverage will be incredible, and data speeds should be just as amazing. Sprint has the spectrum necessary to deploy Network Vision in a way that unless you are roaming you will have LTE-Advanced data and voice connections and at that point we are talking theoretical speeds of anywhere from 75 to 300 Mbps. AWESOME!

• Like 1

Migrated from Original Forum. Originally Posted 5 January 2012

For a demonstration of how well 800MHz overlaps for superior coverage on PCS spacing, look at this slide from this article: http://s4gru.spruz.com/pt/New-Network-Vision-and-LTE-Deployment-info-released-in-Sprint-Webinar-today/blog.htm

393699_341345652549546_257896107561168_1626391_930575228_n.jpg

As for Sprint's LTE-Advanced, it will be on two aggregated carriers...a 5x5 on 800 and a 5x5 on 1900. It will perform like a 10x10 FD-LTE carrier. But there will be some advantages with Sprint's radios up behind the antenna panels. Sprint's aggregated carrier LTE Advanced will likely provide speeds around 10 to 20MB download, with bursts over 30MB.

One disadvantage for aggregated carriers on such different frequencies, is you will only get the aggregated carrier advantage if your device is in range of both frequencies, the 800 and 1900. In areas where you only get the 800, like when you go deep inside a building or at the edge of service, then you won't get the boosted aggregated speeds. Because your device will only see the one carrier. But in approximately 90% of the coverage area, you will be in an overlap zone where your device sees a signal on 800 and 1900.

The real performer will be Clearwire's TD-LTE with 20MHz carriers. It will have speeds between 30MB and 50MB download, with bursts in the 60 to 80MB range.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

There is approximately a 6 month transition period between when LTE is installed and when CDMA is to be decommissioned. During that time, Sprint's provisioning team (which they actually contract out, so it's not really "Sprint's team") tests and monitors the newly constructed sites and ensures a smooth transition from the old CDMA equipment to the new LTE equipment. This is all done in the wee hours of the night/morning when network traffic is at its slowest. As for turning the network on site by site vs. lighting up the whole network up at once, I'll have to do some more research.

On a side note - Verizon maintains their own network.

• 4 weeks later...
There is approximately a 6 month transition period between when LTE is installed and when CDMA is to be decommissioned. During that time' date=' Sprint's provisioning team (which they actually contract out, so it's not really "Sprint's team") tests and monitors the newly constructed sites and ensures a smooth transition from the old CDMA equipment to the new LTE equipment. This is all done in the wee hours of the night/morning when network traffic is at its slowest. As for turning the network on site by site vs. lighting up the whole network up at once, I'll have to do some more research.

On a side note - Verizon maintains their own network.[/quote']

We are seeing alot faster transitions than 6 months.

Can you post some information to verify this information?

• Like 1

We are seeing alot faster transitions than 6 months.

Can you post some information to verify this information?

Our NV schedules don't seem to support this.

Robert

Are you saying is does take 6 months from when sprint first add NV hardware till completion?

I should be more clear. Our NV schedules don't seem to support the person you quoted. It seems in most instances, Site deinstall of legacy equipment is schedule 30 to 45 days after all work at the site is completed.

Robert

• Like 1