Network Vision/LTE - Boston Market (all of Massachusetts)

brendan4t

Just a small update on my LTE speeds. I think it is my phone.

I had RSRP of -85dBm and I was still only hitting about 8mbit.

I'll retest when my optimus G gets its screen replaced :(

Sounds like your site may have a backhaul choke point. I've never had such low speeds from such a strong signal. I would say I averaged 25-35Mbps with that signal strength in all my testing.

Robert via Samsung Note II via Tapatalk

Sounds like your site may have a backhaul choke point. I've never had such low speeds from such a strong signal. I would say I averaged 25-35Mbps with that signal strength in all my testing.

Robert via Samsung Note II via Tapatalk

Wow! Were you standing next to the tower when you got those speeds? lol .. i never got those speeds.. EVER! actually.. maybe when lte tower first came out in somerville, i might've got 20 mbps... and then the public caught on... lol...

Wow! Were you standing next to the tower when you got those speeds? lol .. i never got those speeds.. EVER! actually.. maybe when lte tower first came out in somerville, i might've got 20 mbps... and then the public caught on... lol...

Sites are not congesting yet. Not even close. What I'm reporting is consistent in all markets. 20Mbps+ speeds are not anomalies with a strong LTE signal.

If you are experiencing strong signals and meh speeds consistently in your market, then perhaps your market is having an issue with the core they are working though. Are you determining your signal strength through engineering screens? I hope you are not using the bars in your signal strength indicator to determine LTE signal strength.

Robert via Nexus 7 on Tapatalk

Bit the bullet today and switched from Verizon to Sprint. Happy to report that Haverhill MA has LTE turned on, currently getting 5-7 mb/s on sensorly's speed test in my den.. which was notorious for not getting any service before.

• Like 2

Bit the bullet today and switched from Verizon to Sprint. Happy to report that Haverhill MA has LTE turned on, currently getting 5-7 mb/s on sensorly's speed test in my den.. which was notorious for not getting any service before.

Yeah I get these speeds in my basement in Chicago mezyvu9u.jpg

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus rockin 4.2.1 using Tapatalk 2

I got LTE for about a minute on the Westwood / Dedham line (exit 14) off 128, right by the rotary. If I go into airplane mode and come out, it shows LTE for a second and then goes away again, and finds the much stronger 3G signal. At least there is some progress going on somewhere though! :D

• Like 1

With an rsrp of - 100 dbm I can get about 9 mbps down and 5 mbps up

Sites are not congesting yet. Not even close. What I'm reporting is consistent in all markets. 20Mbps+ speeds are not anomalies with a strong LTE signal.

If you are experiencing strong signals and meh speeds consistently in your market, then perhaps your market is having an issue with the core they are working though. Are you determining your signal strength through engineering screens? I hope you are not using the bars in your signal strength indicator to determine LTE signal strength.

Robert via Nexus 7 on Tapatalk

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Going to be visiting Boston/Brookline in the next week or so. Can any one comment on LTE service, specifically in Brookline? Sensorly shows strong to decent coverage in central Boston, but not much in Brookline. Hoping it might just not have been mapped yet...

Going to be visiting Boston/Brookline in the next week or so. Can any one comment on LTE service, specifically in Brookline? Sensorly shows strong to decent coverage in central Boston, but not much in Brookline. Hoping it might just not have been mapped yet...

I don't have specifics about brookline, but i have noticed that maybe of the Boston sites seem to be up and down frequently. I've gone a lot of places that sensorly has LTE showing, yet there is zero. I wouldn't get your hopes up based on sensorly for anything in Boston sadly.

Brookline village 4G non existent

I don't have specifics about brookline, but i have noticed that maybe of the Boston sites seem to be up and down frequently. I've gone a lot of places that sensorly has LTE showing, yet there is zero. I wouldn't get your hopes up based on sensorly for anything in Boston sadly.

Bummer. How's the 3G service in and around Boston? Usable at all?

My experience with my EVO LTE is that it is poor. This should be taken with a grain of salt due to the fact that I have my phone set to LTE & cdma. If I set my phone to cdma mode only, I think I would pick up higher speeds. Could be wrong though.

I didn't have Sensorly running, but it looks like there's a new tower lit up in Chicopee. I was on I-391 through Chicopee this weekend and had a strong LTE signal from the Connecticut River right up to the 91 split. I haven't had LTE coverage in that area before and I am on that road several times a week.

I was able to run some speed tests today in the Dedham / Westwood area that I was talking about yesterday. My highest down was 7.93Mbps, and highest up was 3.95Mbps. Although I did have pretty weak signal according to my iPhone 5 (which does show LTE signal in bar form). I do feel like this is just the very start of testing in this area though. I drive here everyday and yesterday was the first time I've gotten any LTE signal.

I frequent the Dartmouth / New Bedford area, and when they were in testing phase it was super spotty, but the second it went "live" on the sprint site, the coverage exploded, and signal was amazing.

I just wish sensorly worked on the iPhone for mapping like it did on my S3.

• Like 1

I was able to run some speed tests today in the Dedham / Westwood area that I was talking about yesterday. My highest down was 7.93Mbps, and highest up was 3.95Mbps. Although I did have pretty weak signal according to my iPhone 5 (which does show LTE signal in bar form). I do feel like this is just the very start of testing in this area though. I drive here everyday and yesterday was the first time I've gotten any LTE signal.

I frequent the Dartmouth / New Bedford area, and when they were in testing phase it was super spotty, but the second it went "live" on the sprint site, the coverage exploded, and signal was amazing.

I just wish sensorly worked on the iPhone for mapping like it did on my S3.

That's great to hear!

I am getting a good LTE signal all over West Springfield from the Holyoke Mall area to the rt5 interstate 91 merge all the way into CT. From the Westfield line into Downtown Springfield (I haven't gone into Springfield past downtown in a few days). Also I get a consistent LTE signal in Agawam from the West Springfield line all the way up rt 159 and it continues about 1 mile into Suffield CT. Maybe this weekend I'll try to see what I can get east of the Connecticut river on the East side of Springfield towards Wilbraham ,Palmer and Ludlow. But from the looks of it the lower pioneer valley is pretty well covered with LTE right now.

Bummer. How's the 3G service in and around Boston? Usable at all?

So far I've been getting 1-2 MB/s on 3G service, between 6 and 14mb/s on 4g depending on area. From what I've seen anything over 1mb/s is very useable/instantaneous for most data tasks.

• Like 2

So far I've been getting 1-2 MB/s on 3G service, between 6 and 14mb/s on 4g depending on area. From what I've seen anything over 1mb/s is very useable/instantaneous for most data tasks.

+1 I can do everything I need to do on dependable, consistent, +1Mbps 3G.

I'm sure if I gamed or watched movies I would think otherwise but how much is enough?

Those that proudly display their 28Mbps download speeds are no different than those that think it's important to have coverage in places they will never go.

Sent using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Really depends on where you are in Brookline.

If you are at Coolidge Corner, there is a sprint antenna on top of the movie theater. It's been upgraded with network vision gear but no LTE yet. Coverage is great in that area. It's hilarious, it points directly at the only Sprint store in Brookline. I'll grab a picture later.

Further away from Boston, coverage gets pretty hit/miss. They really need to follow what AT&T/T-Mobile/Verizon/Clearwire (yes, even clearwire) did and put in a tower to cover Washington Square. I wonder how many subs have ported out over the years because they don't have coverage on the green line.

So to answer your question:

Yes, in the half of brookline closest to Boston, coverage is good. In the middle of Brookline, there are no towers, so it's a black hole and you get bounced around from one weak connection to the next.

Boston coverage is very solid, never had any issues in Boston.

if you give me a better idea of where you will be visiting in Brookline, I can give you a better idea of coverage.

Also, if you want some restaurant pointers, I can make some good suggestions (zaftigs for brunch, washington sq tavern and the abbey for a nice dinner, the publick house for casual dinner and an ABSOLUTELY AMAZING beer selection, rod dee for good thai food that's cheap and quick (casual).

Really depends on where you are in Brookline.

If you are at Coolidge Corner, there is a sprint antenna on top of the movie theater. It's been upgraded with network vision gear but no LTE yet. Coverage is great in that area. It's hilarious, it points directly at the only Sprint store in Brookline. I'll grab a picture later.

Further away from Boston, coverage gets pretty hit/miss. They really need to follow what AT&T/T-Mobile/Verizon/Clearwire (yes, even clearwire) did and put in a tower to cover Washington Square. I wonder how many subs have ported out over the years because they don't have coverage on the green line.

So to answer your question:

Yes, in the half of brookline closest to Boston, coverage is good. In the middle of Brookline, there are no towers, so it's a black hole and you get bounced around from one weak connection to the next.

Boston coverage is very solid, never had any issues in Boston.

if you give me a better idea of where you will be visiting in Brookline, I can give you a better idea of coverage.

Also, if you want some restaurant pointers, I can make some good suggestions (zaftigs for brunch, washington sq tavern and the abbey for a nice dinner, the publick house for casual dinner and an ABSOLUTELY AMAZING beer selection, rod dee for good thai food that's cheap and quick (casual).

I'll be staying right at the Hawes St. Green line station (right on Beacon St. really). Any suggestions for seafood?

I'll be staying right at the Hawes St. Green line station (right on Beacon St. really). Any suggestions for seafood?

You will have great coverage there.

Neptune oyster in north end and oceanaire at government center are both very good for seafood.

• Like 1

I am getting a good LTE signal all over West Springfield from the Holyoke Mall area to the rt5 interstate 91 merge all the way into CT. From the Westfield line into Downtown Springfield (I haven't gone into Springfield past downtown in a few days). Also I get a consistent LTE signal in Agawam from the West Springfield line all the way up rt 159 and it continues about 1 mile into Suffield CT. Maybe this weekend I'll try to see what I can get east of the Connecticut river on the East side of Springfield towards Wilbraham ,Palmer and Ludlow. But from the looks of it the lower pioneer valley is pretty well covered with LTE right now.

Great to hear, but please fire up Sensorly so we can see all the coverage. There's very little showing west of the river right now. As for the area east of downtown Springfield, there doesn't seem to be much coverage yet. LTE drops off after Mercy Hospital on 291.