Network Vision/LTE - Utah Market (Salt Lake City/Ogden/Provo/St. George/Cedar City)

Rafaelcab

The Advanced Wireless Services (AWS) is in the 1710 – 1755 and 2110 – 2155 MHz spectrum range. The most common use of AWS spectrum is fixed and mobile voice and data services, including cell phone, text messaging, and Internet.

Similar services include the 700 MHz Service, 800mhz cellular, PCS, and SMR service.AWS-1: The Advanced Wireless Services (AWS) dates back to 2002 when the FCC released a second report and order that allocated 90 MHz of spectrum for AWS in the 1710 – 1755 and 2110 – 2155 MHz spectrum range. These spectrum bands are known as AWS-1. In 2002, the FCC also released a notice of proposed rulemaking seeking comment on service rules for AWS. In 2003, the FCC released an Order that established rules to license AWS in the 1710 – 1755 and 2110 – 2155 MHz spectrum range. In 2005, the FCC released an Order on Reconsideration that modified some of the AWS-1 rules. 

AWS-2: In 2004, the FCC released a Notice of Proposed Rulemaking seeking comment on service rules for additional AWS spectrum in the 1915 – 1920, 1995 – 2000, 2020 – 2025, and 2175 – 2180 MHz spectrum range. These spectrum bands are known as AWS-2.

AWS-3: In 2007, the FCC released a Notice of Proposed Rulemaking seeking comment on service rules for additional AWS spectrum in the 2155 – 2175 MHz spectrum range. This spectrum band is known as AWS-3).  In 2008, the Commission released a Further Notice of Proposed Rulemaking seeking comment on proposed rules for AWS-3 and some of AWS-2.

AWS-4: In 2012, the FCC released a Notice of proposed Rulemaking seeking comment on service rules for additional AWS spectrum in the 2000 - 2020 and 2180 - 2200 MHz spectrum range. These spectrum bands are known as AWS-4.

The proposals to license spectrum for AWS-2 and AWS-3 are currently pending.

This is probably more than you'll ever want to know about it but there ya go! haha 

• Like 1

question guys, what is AWS?

I think it's easier to say it like this:

AWS = Advances wireless servcies

Run on 1700/2100

Used by: ATT for LTE, Verizon for LTE, T-Mobile for LTE, MetroPCS for LTE, and cricket for LTE  (ATT and VZW also use 7XX for LTE)

Also used by t-mobile for HSPA, and metro/cricket for 1X/EVDO

As far as I know, Sprint is the only of the top four or five providers that doesnt own or deploy AWS.

Its peers would be PCS (1900), WCS (2300), CLR (850), SMR (800) and so on

As an aside:

The most interesting thing about the AWS situation is for phone portability.  I know in the sprint/verizon world, even with same frequencies of 1x/EVDO there was no portability by both companies own decision.  Since LTE is an extension of GSM and verizon LTE devices having all the common GSM/hspa frequencies now supported, is that verizon phones can come over to ATT somewhat compatibly, and t-mobile substantially compatibly with just a sim swap.   A verizon phone with AWS compatibility that has a t-mobile sim card placed in it will come up and function on t-mobile's GSM/umts/LTE right out of the box.

I think it's easier to say it like this:

AWS = Advances wireless servcies

Run on 1700/2100

Used by: ATT for LTE, Verizon for LTE, T-Mobile for LTE, MetroPCS for LTE, and cricket for LTE  (ATT and VZW also use 7XX for LTE)

Also used by t-mobile for HSPA, and metro/cricket for 1X/EVDO

As far as I know, Sprint is the only of the top four or five providers that doesnt own or deploy AWS.

Its peers would be PCS (1900), WCS (2300), CLR (850), SMR (800) and so on

As an aside:

The most interesting thing about the AWS situation is for phone portability.  I know in the sprint/verizon world, even with same frequencies of 1x/EVDO there was no portability by both companies own decision.  Since LTE is an extension of GSM and verizon LTE devices having all the common GSM/hspa frequencies now supported, is that verizon phones can come over to ATT somewhat compatibly, and t-mobile substantially compatibly with just a sim swap.   A verizon phone with AWS compatibility that has a t-mobile sim card placed in it will come up and function on t-mobile's GSM/umts/LTE right out of the box.

thats crazy stuff. man... lol thanks for the explination!

VZW does not have conservative LTE maps.  Most likely there was a new site fired up that was not reflected on their maps yet.  In my area, even with a really strong LTE device, I can only get LTE service in the dark red areas.  The light red areas (extended LTE), I rarely get service unless I'm outside in the clear wide open and not moving.

I'm not bagging on VZW coverage maps.  I think they're pretty good, especially compared to Sprint's (which have the worst LTE coverage maps in America).  T-Mobile's new coverage maps may be the best quality.

S4GRU has been really critical of Sprint's LTE coverage maps about severely overstating coverage.  And also, their quality of presentation of their coverage maps is also a poor experience.

Robert

You should write an article on the wall about the coverage maps. It's a crime.

Sprint has to know that they are not realistic. I am guessing they do it so they can tell investors and Softbank that they cover millions more PoPs than they really do.

Near my home, outside, at a major train station I get one bar of voice, not even evdo can keep a connection... Yet sure enough, that area is yellow with LTE.

Obviously this will be solved with ESMR... But it's wrong for sprint marketing to have maps show they coverage that they do.

Honestly, I can't see how unrealistic maps are good for sprint.

Honestly, I can't see how unrealistic maps are good for sprint.

Their voice maps are pretty good but those LTE maps are downright horrible. Many areas show LTE where there is none. They even show LTE at my house even though the only site that serves my house is 100% legacy still. It just pisses off customers as they think either the service is broke or their phone is junk. They need to fix it.

I still say the LTE maps may erroneously reflect something on the order of -120 dBm RSSI instead of RSRP.

AJ

• Like 2

so do any of you think that someday, sprint will fill in its LTE footprint, on say major freeways??

take vegas to LA.....there was HORRIBLE coverage...on a main freeway, that serves probably thousands daily...so who knows how many sprint custys are there...

On my way down from up north...I could tell (i think anyway) that most of those have at least the upgraded GMO, or 3g service...as it was constantly hitting around 2.00 down instead of the .05 typical of layton....

so is it upgraded equip??

less people??

a little of both??

and will it get filled in???

because really, on the open road..1-2 is plenty for streaming music, or a possible movie....and LTE maybe wouldnt need to be slapped in there...

just a few thoughts i had today while out on the road.....

ohh and a few times in the Victorville area...uhhhh LTE was hitting around .75 :rofl:  :td:   Again, is this a coverage, or # on the system??

In theory yes where you had 3g on the highway should get filled in with LTE eventually because every single site in the U.S (except for like 100 because of various reasons) are getting upgraded to LTE.  Now with that, I said in theory because the LTE signal is more fragile than a 3g signal and so real world who knows what will happen but in essence yes.  As far as the speeds being better on the 3g site there are multiple reasons.  If you were in a spot with new equipment installed and running, and if there isn't much voice or data traffic happening on the tower you were connected too you should see higher speeds even without the backhaul in place.  As far as the LTE hitting .75....well....thats just sad.  Obviously there are factors into that and LTE is more fragile so maybe a weak crappy signal or something else i'm not sure.  That is truly sad even for a weak LTE signal though...

Just to add to what lvanders already said and to more directly answer you yes there are several sites down the southern part of the I-15 corridor that have been 3g accepted. If you take a peak at the map you would see that. There is even some 800 along the way.

Sent from my rooted G Note 2 Using TapaTalk 4 Beta

I sent out a petition  :deal:  to make it so sprint doesn't have to deal with permits anymore for NV and also to send every single worker in the U.S to Utah to finish installing the equipment and do the backhaul and it was approved!!.....Then....I woke up.... :wall:

• Like 3

I was in Taylorsville last night (around 6:30) off of 4900 S 1950 W and looked at my phone to check the time and noticed that it said I was connected to LTE. The signal was very weak and I was too busy coaching softball to check into it any further but thought I'd mention it to see if anyone else has had any sightings in this area.

I was in Taylorsville last night (around 6:30) off of 4900 S 1950 W and looked at my phone to check the time and noticed that it said I was connected to LTE. The signal was very weak and I was too busy coaching softball to check into it any further but thought I'd mention it to see if anyone else has had any sightings in this area.

It looks like there are a few sites with in striking distance of this area, but none of them have been LTE accepted.  It could have been testing, or you could have caught a stray signal from a site very far away--not very likely.  My money is on testing, which would be awesome. 

i hate legacy so much. LOL.

but seriously, percentage wise, how completed does everyone think NV is?

live site? Less than 1%.  Actual work?  10%.  Hard to say with those guys burying that fiber the way they do.   The fact that we've seen so many site with their RRUs popping up means that we're waiting for the fiber.  Maybe one day they'll connect the motherload junction box and we'll see 50 sites go live in one day...one can dream right?

i know its been funky out here in vegas...

1 minute no 3g, the next 4g....then some 3, then some 4, then nothing..

plus the speeds have been slower then i thought...

so here is hoping that utah will be a little more stable....

though...i cant blame them for not doing stuff out here in the summer....ick its hot....

so lets hope 50% or more is done before the cold winter hits..because you know its going to slow down

i know its been funky out here in vegas...

1 minute no 3g, the next 4g....then some 3, then some 4, then nothing..

plus the speeds have been slower then i thought...

so here is hoping that utah will be a little more stable....

though...i cant blame them for not doing stuff out here in the summer....ick its hot....

so lets hope 50% or more is done before the cold winter hits..because you know its going to slow down

I don't think having daily thunderstorms rolling in at 3 p.m. helps the work at all.  I'm sure the fiber guys work through it, but I'd hate to be up 200 ft hanging hardware on a lightning rod. I was a brick/stone mason for quite a few years and I've heard rebar buzz and felt my trowel vibrate in my hand while up 30-40 ft on scaffolding when a storm rolled in.