Network Vision/LTE - Utah Market (Salt Lake City/Ogden/Provo/St. George/Cedar City)

Rafaelcab

if I remember you were at 107 signal strength which is pushing it for usability so conditions may have just been perfect? I do see a few sensorly dots up there so I'd guess its that tower on foothill. Until we get all the hex I'd and sector ids for that tower all we can do is assume.

Sent from my rooted G Note 2 Using TapaTalk 4 Beta

I'll go get them today after work.

Foothill and 2300 east I believe its a rooftop or stealth. Either way you should be able to get all the screen shots if your within vicinity. Post them in the Utah nv progress map thread please. And thanks for putting in the work"

Sent from my rooted G Note 2 Using TapaTalk 4 Beta

Does anyone know exactly where the Foothill tower is? I can't see it on the satellite photos in Google maps. Is it a roof top antenna? 

TThey are on the rooftop of the building furthest south/east in that little shopping center with the Smith's or Harmons, Starbucks, downeast, etc. 

• Like 1

I have noticed on sensorly that around spanish fork there is lte. On the way back from st. George, I picked up the signal in Spanish fork and it went until the mapleton exit. I ran the following speed test. How fun! Can't wait till this is all around the area.post-24754-0-31583100-1378181380_thumb.jpg

Edited by Goober

Then when it went back to 3G north of mapleton, the normal speeds showed up as this speedtest. The 3G in at George was very poor btw. Hardly worked and couldn't access data many times, hurry up sprint!post-24754-0-44471500-1378181437_thumb.jpg

Edited by Goober

I drove down US 6 in Spanish Fork to I15 tonight and it never hit LTE. Last week when I was there I had to toggle airplane on/off mode to finaly hit it.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 4

It seems like I have to toggle airplane mode to get LTE anywhere right now. 

Last week when I was there I had to toggle airplane on/off mode to finaly hit it.

I also have an SPH-L900 (Samsung Galaxy Note II) and didn't have to toggle when I picked up LTE on Foothill.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note II using Tapatalk 2

Then when it went back to 3G north of mapleton, the normal speeds showed up as this speedtest. The 3G in at George was very poor btw. Hardly worked and couldn't access data many times, hurry up sprint!attachicon.gifimage.jpg

That's actually an amazing 3G test for St.George, the legacy gear down here is terrible and has been for awhile. I've got pages of 0.08 down 0.16 up and i've been harping on Sprint all year about it. 

That's actually an amazing 3G test for St.George, the legacy gear down here is terrible and has been for awhile. I've got pages of 0.08 down 0.16 up and i've been harping on Sprint all year about it.

I'm going to SG soon and am not looking forward to the crappy service.

It's a tough area to cover effectively with the terrain but Sprint has neglected even the "prime" towers for optimal coverage for the past two years at minimum. I've been watching their upgrades closely as my contract is up in 3 months. I've been with Sprint for 10 years and i'd like to stay, but when Verizon here is on LTE, and their 3G consistently tests at 0.80+ it's hard to justify it anymore. Here's hoping StG gets some love

Actually that spped was in Mapleton right after that sweet lte signal dropped off.  I couldn't agree more, sprint in st. george is virtually unusable.  I was so shocked the other month when I had my verizon ipad down there and its lte is beautiful all over.  I guess the money of verizon got the towers upgraded quickly.  It is slow as molases for sprint.  We will probably notice one tower at a time go up and we will all cheer and it will take years to really cover the wasatch front area.  As for st. george, I would honestly do verizon.  I was getting 20/ 5 megs consistantly from washington to so. st. george earlier this year.  Blast the verizon capped plans!  I've also been with spint for 8 years and with these smartphones now, they eat data.  Sprint was ok when we were just checking email, but forget streaming anything.  Where I live in draper it is ok, but when we go to eat in sandy, there is usually no data connect at all.  

Edited by Goober

It's a tough area to cover effectively with the terrain but Sprint has neglected even the "prime" towers for optimal coverage for the past two years at minimum. I've been watching their upgrades closely as my contract is up in 3 months. I've been with Sprint for 10 years and i'd like to stay, but when Verizon here is on LTE, and their 3G consistently tests at 0.80+ it's hard to justify it anymore. Here's hoping StG gets some love

The entire market is being upgraded.  Including St. George.  They are working on sites in the order in which permitting is easiest or backhaul is ready first.  So either permitting is more difficult/time consuming in St. George or there the backhaul provider is not ready yet with any sites in that area.

When the sites are ready to be worked on, they will.  Also, please note your second post was removed as it was in violation of our posting guidelines.  We do not host Sprint complaints.  But note that every site in Utah is being upgraded and they will not leave the market until complete.  This is a comprehensive system wide upgrade.

Robert

• Like 2

Apologies Robert it wasn't intended to come across as Sprint bashing in any way, only referencing what conditions here have been like in comparison to other tech going in and the sites they share in common with Sprint ( I know it's a fine line ). I'm fairly familiar with these sites from work and the companies we do business with. No harm intended :)

• Like 1

Apologies Robert it wasn't intended to come across as Sprint bashing in any way, only referencing what conditions here have been like in comparison to other tech going in and the sites they share in common with Sprint ( I know it's a fine line ). I'm fairly familiar with these sites from work and the companies we do business with. No harm intended :)

No problem.  However, we all know the legacy network sucks.  So we aren't keen about the details of where and how bad it sucks in certain areas.

Robert

• Like 1

Legacy is what it is, I'm really interested to see what they do with all the Nextel spectrum they've got down here. I know we had conflicts with licensing here locally with an ISP that owned a chunk Sprint wanted to use a few years back. This area is a great example of where the lower frequency LTE shines. 

I didn't have any of my sprint gear with me the last time I stayed in Saint George (about a month ago).  You're right about VZW's LTE being nice.  And contrary to what VZW's coverage map shows, I didnt really lose LTE much between SG and Nephi (VZW's coverage map being conservative made me laugh a little).  ATT did pretty good as well.  I had 3-5 meg tests down there.  What surprised me is t-mobile.  Their coverage map shows 2G but I had 4G there (non roaming) and hit 6+ megs a couple times.

Edit:  Upon reflection, I did have a device with Sprint service with me, just didn't bother to power it on and test it :-/

Edited by dmplus

I didn't have any of my sprint gear with me the last time I stayed in Saint George (about a month ago).  You're right about VZW's LTE being nice.  And contrary to what VZW's coverage map shows, I didnt really lose LTE much between SG and Nephi (VZW's coverage map being conservative made me laugh a little).  ATT did pretty good as well.  I had 3-5 meg tests down there.  What surprised me is t-mobile.  Their coverage map shows 2G but I had 4G there (non roaming) and hit 6+ megs a couple times.

Edit:  Upon reflection, I did have a device with Sprint service with me, just didn't bother to power it on and test it :-/

VZW does not have conservative LTE maps.  Most likely there was a new site fired up that was not reflected on their maps yet.  In my area, even with a really strong LTE device, I can only get LTE service in the dark red areas.  The light red areas (extended LTE), I rarely get service unless I'm outside in the clear wide open and not moving.

I'm not bagging on VZW coverage maps.  I think they're pretty good, especially compared to Sprint's (which have the worst LTE coverage maps in America).  T-Mobile's new coverage maps may be the best quality.

S4GRU has been really critical of Sprint's LTE coverage maps about severely overstating coverage.  And also, their quality of presentation of their coverage maps is also a poor experience.

Robert

• Like 1

Robert,

I agree in regards to vzw's map being conservative, which I why I laughed a little.  I've always maintained that Verizon's coverage maps are an "under ideal conditions, you have a shot at getting signal here".  There are many, many poor, or unusable areas that are full red on their maps.  Sprints maps are a bit.... overzealous, but the main problem is the technology driving the map UI is terrible.

I suppose they could have turned on additional LTE towers, but according to the press releases I read a month or so ago, they stated they were done with deployment of their LTE 700 footprint, and now are focusing on AWS in metro areas for capacity.

Robert,

I agree in regards to vzw's map being conservative, which I why I laughed a little.  I've always maintained that Verizon's coverage maps are an "under ideal conditions, you have a shot at getting signal here".  There are many, many poor, or unusable areas that are full red on their maps.  Sprints maps are a bit.... overzealous, but the main problem is the technology driving the map UI is terrible.

I suppose they could have turned on additional LTE towers, but according to the press releases I read a month or so ago, they stated they were done with deployment of their LTE 700 footprint, and now are focusing on AWS in metro areas for capacity.

They are still deploying.  Ran into a crew on Friday.  I trust Verizon press releases as much as Sprint.  None.

Robert

They are still deploying.  Ran into a crew on Friday.  I trust Verizon press releases as much as Sprint.  None.

Robert

Were they deploying AWS?  Where was this at?  I understood the SLC market would not see verizon aws lte for a while.

Were they deploying AWS?  Where was this at?  I understood the SLC market would not see verizon aws lte for a while.

No.  They said that they would not be deploying AWS in Northern New Mexico for quite some time.  They were on a site in Alcalde, New Mexico.  They were adding new Cellular 850 panels and LTE 750 panels.  The Contractor says they are deploying dozens of rural sites throughout the "Four Corners" states.  I took that to mean New Mexico, Colorado, Arizona and Utah.

Robert