Build your own devices, routers, relays, IoT etc.

I went ahead today and purchased 2 of the antennas below from LTEFIX to test.

https://ltefix.com/shop/antennas/4g-lte-antennas/mimo-directional/1700-2700mhz-15dbi-4g-lte-mimo-directional-antenna/

However, I noticed the frequency range is 1700MHz to 2700MHz with max gain of 15 dBi. The XPOL-2-5G Poynting frequency range is 698MHz to 3800MHz with max gain of 11dBi. Will I not be able to connect to certain bands with the 1700MHz to 2700MHz frequency range? 

Edited by PJG

6 minutes ago, PJG said:

Will I not be able to connect to certain bands with the 1700MHz to 2700MHz frequency range? 

They are not as efficient with lower bands obviously. I still get 3x aggregation with mine on bands 2(1.9)/4(1.7)/5(850MHz). Band 5 sits at -105 RSRP while bands 2 and 4 are about -95 & -100 respectively.

1 minute ago, PJG said:

4x4 MIMO

The third and fourth ports have a frequency floor of 1.7GHz anyway. They can't stuff big enough antennae in this form factor yet. You are better off not using a low band capable antenna as your auxilliary. They just do not receive or transmit those bands. 12/13/14/26/71 only work on your first two ports.

9 minutes ago, PJG said:

More expensive

All of your other modems only Transmit on the main port anyway. 2x1 MiMo no matter the frequency. The LM960 is 4x2. 4 downlink and 2 uplink on 1.7GHz and above and 2x1 on low band no matter which is your main component carrier in the aggregation scheme.

Say you are on bands 2/4/5 with 2 as Primary and 4/5 as secondary. You would get 4x2 on band 2, then 2x0 on band 4, 2x0 on band 5. If you are on band 5/4/2 Then you will get 2x1 on band 5, 2x0 on band 4 and 2x0 on band 2. Does this make sense?

3 minutes ago, belusnecropolis said:

All of your other modems only Transmit on the main port anyway. 2x1 MiMo no matter the frequency. The LM960 is 4x2. 4 downlink and 2 uplink on 1.7GHz and above and 2x1 on low band no matter which is your main component carrier in the aggregation scheme.

Say you are on bands 2/4/5 with 2 as Primary and 4/5 as secondary. You would get 4x2 on band 2, then 2x0 on band 4, 2x0 on band 5. If you are on band 5/4/2 Then you will get 2x1 on band 5, 2x0 on band 4 and 2x0 on band 2. Does this make sense?

Yes.. I'm still learning...

10 minutes ago, belusnecropolis said:

The third and fourth ports have a frequency floor of 1.7GHz anyway. They can't stuff big enough antennae in this form factor yet. You are better off not using a low band capable antenna as your auxilliary. They just do not receive or transmit those bands. 12/13/14/26/71 only work on your first two ports.

image.thumb.png.9800134b113bb74a1451bb8e72f3a715.png

Want to make sure I understand.. Currently I have the XPOL-2-5G Poynting antenna connected to Primary 0 and Primary 1. In addition, I have my GPS antenna connected to the GNSS.

When I get the second XPOL-2-5G Poynting antenna , I will connect it to Seondary 0 and Secondary 1. Please confirm.

Edited by PJG

4 minutes ago, PJG said:

image.thumb.png.9800134b113bb74a1451bb8e72f3a715.png

Want to make sure I understand.. Currently I have the XPOL-2-5G Poynting antenna connected to Primary 0 and Primary 1. In addition, I have my GPS antenna connected to the GNSS.

When I get the second XPOL-2-5G Poynting antenna , I will connect it to Seondary 0 and Secondary 1. Please confirm.

Trying to decide if I need a second XPOL-2-5G Poynting antenna or will one of the LTEFix antenna be good enough for the Secondary 1 and Secondary 0 ports on the LM960.

16 minutes ago, belusnecropolis said:

1 minute ago, PJG said:

will one of the LTEFix antenna be good enough for the Secondary 1 and Secondary 0 ports on the LM960.

Yes

Just now, belusnecropolis said:

I would run Your Poynting on Primary 0 and Secondary 0 and the WiFix antenna on Primary 1 and Secondary 1.

Will do.. I will get the WiFix antenna on Saturday...

So once again, there is no need to purchase another Poynting antenna?

Just now, PJG said:

Will do.. I will get the WiFix antenna on Saturday...

So once again, there is no need to purchase another Poynting antenna?

Save your money. The ports labeled 1 are just unable to utilize those frequencies. In that pic from the hardware manual you will notice Primary and Secondary 1 only have certain bands, they exclude the lower frequencies. Notice P and S 0 add bands like 14 and 71. These are low band frequencies. These 0 labeled ports would be the ports you would hook up your Poynting to, the ports labeled 1 you would hook up your WiFix antenna too. Let me know if this makes sense, I am glad to explain anything I can.

1 minute ago, belusnecropolis said:

Save your money. The ports labeled 1 are just unable to utilize those frequencies. In that pic from the hardware manual you will notice Primary and Secondary 1 only have certain bands, they exclude the lower frequencies. Notice P and S 0 add bands like 14 and 71. These are low band frequencies. These 0 labeled ports would be the ports you would hook up your Poynting to, the ports labeled 1 you would hook up your WiFix antenna too. Let me know if this makes sense, I am glad to explain anything I can.

Got it.. Thanks...

Just now, belusnecropolis said:

Absolutely, anything for team UDP. Do you have any other questions about this radio or any of your other ones?

Not at the moment. I will probably sell the EM7511 and EM7565 modem. Can't return to LTEFIX.

Just now, PJG said:

No.. I don't have a Facebook account. Why? My wife has an account.

Yeah no worries we are all boomers over there, it is a handy outlet for any questions you may have and a good way to contact Mr Jim directly, he operates LTEfix.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/LTE.HACKS/

They have a resale page as well. I build stuff and then sell it there, you can too. Others sell surplus.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Wireless.Joint/

2 minutes ago, belusnecropolis said:

Yeah no worries we are all boomers over there, it is a handy outlet for any questions you may have and a good way to contact Mr Jim directly, he operates LTEfix.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/LTE.HACKS/

They have a resale page as well. I build stuff and then sell it there, you can too. Others sell surplus.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Wireless.Joint/

Thanks...

Now I need to purchase some LMR400 cable from Amazon. I believe you recommended the MPD Digital cable.

https://www.amazon.com/MPD-Digital-400-n-sma-15-Microwave-Connectors/dp/B00H9II8Q4/ref=pd_bxgy_3/133-8912366-0499346?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00H9II8Q4&pd_rd_r=cd336ace-dd48-4a4f-8fae-0d319b9ea0df&pd_rd_w=v3pjq&pd_rd_wg=ZO0wJ&pf_rd_p=fd08095f-55ff-4a15-9b49-4a1a719225a9&pf_rd_r=RCH96MH7MBJ8XE63YFX2&psc=1&refRID=RCH96MH7MBJ8XE63YFX2

Just now, PJG said:

Capital idea for a next step and choice of product. You always want as few adapters as possible, so going Antenna>Nmale end LMR400 coax SMA end>SMA end 1.13mm coax MHF4 end>LM960 is ideal. 

Lots of folks get the N Male on both ends and add an N Male to SMA adapter between the LMR and the 1.13mm, avoid this by going with the choice you selected. Just make sure to measure thrice and cut once when determining cable length and placement. 

1 minute ago, belusnecropolis said:

Capital idea for a next step and choice of product. You always want as few adapters as possible, so going Antenna>Nmale end LMR400 coax SMA end>SMA end 1.13mm coax MHF4 end>LM960 is ideal. 

Lots of folks get the N Male on both ends and add an N Male to SMA adapter between the LMR and the 1.13mm, avoid this by going with the choice you selected. Just make sure to measure thrice and cut once when determining cable length and placement. 

Will do.. Thanks...