Build your own devices, routers, relays, IoT etc.

I'm still not getting how to connect to the LM960 modem after installing the USB driver in Window and connecting the modem via a USB adapter to a Windows PC.

Edited by PJG

Just now, PJG said:

I'm still not getting how to connect to the LM960 modem after installing the USB driver in Windows.

Windows should operate an auto connect tool. It may show up under your internet connection icon in the task bar.

6 minutes ago, belusnecropolis said:

Do you need help sending it commands over putty?

In Putty, I would be using the Serial Connection type right? If yes, I would need to know what the COM port is and the serial port configuration (baud rate, data bits, stop bits, parity, & flow control). 

Device Manager>PORTS (COM & LPT) It will show a comm port, use the number next to that.

Use the stock settings on putty and see what happens. Should get you a talkie going.

2 minutes ago, PJG said:

In Putty, I would be using the Serial Connection type right? If yes, I would need to know what the COM port is and the serial port configuration (baud rate, data bits, stop bits, parity, & flow control). 

Just now, belusnecropolis said:

Device Manager>PORTS (COM & LPT) It will show a comm port, use the number next to that.

Use the stock settings on putty and see what happens. Should get you a talkie going.

Ok.. The USB adapter from Amazon will arrive tomorrow. So I will give it a try tomorrow. Thanks

9 minutes ago, PJG said:

Can you provide more detail on the setup.

H721 router; dual Sim, Gb ethernet, 2x m.2, 2x mPCIe, SD card, manual sim switch.
Quectel EM-20G (N. America ver), M.2

2.4Ghz Atheros WiFi card, mPCIe
5GHz/2.4GHz Atheros WiFi card, mPCIe

Lots of 1.13mm MHF4>SMA female and U.FL>RP-SMA cables
Lots of stubby antennae

Testing today for a buyer who uses AT&T.

37 minutes ago, belusnecropolis said:

H721 router; dual Sim, Gb ethernet, 2x m.2, 2x mPCIe, SD card, manual sim switch.
Quectel EM-20G (N. America ver), M.2

2.4Ghz Atheros WiFi card, mPCIe
5GHz/2.4GHz Atheros WiFi card, mPCIe

Lots of 1.13mm MHF4>SMA female and U.FL>RP-SMA cables
Lots of stubby antennae

Testing today for a buyer who uses AT&T.

Does LTEFix still sell the H721 router? What is the best 2.4Ghz and 5GHz Atheros WiFi cards (specific model #) out there?

What router OS are you using?  

Do you get most of your parts from LTEFix? 

Edited by PJG

10 minutes ago, PJG said:

Does LTEFix still sell the H721 router?

Should have some more by next month. They are made in China and that place is melting down so it takes a few, I bulked up when I saw this nCoV was gonna be worse than the Central Committee of the Communist Party of China would lead us to believe. 

What is the best 2.4Ghz and 5GHz Atheros WiFi cards (specific model #) out there?

I use the AR5BXB92 2.4/5GHz in most builds, the 2.4GHz only card is there lowest tier. There is a Compex QCA9880 that offers a little more in 3 antennae if you need more range and throughput, I put this in where folks want extra.

https://ltefix.com/product-category/wifi-adapters/

What router OS are you using?

I use a GoldenOrb, I had to make my own version to get this running tip top.

http://ofmodemsandmen.com/

If you would like me to build you a router like this let me know. 

16 minutes ago, belusnecropolis said:

Should have some more by next month. They are made in China and that place is melting down so it takes a few, I bulked up when I saw this nCoV was gonna be worse than the Central Committee of the Communist Party of China would lead us to believe. 

I use the AR5BXB92 2.4/5GHz in most builds, the 2.4GHz only card is there lowest tier. There is a Compex QCA9880 that offers a little more in 3 antennae if you need more range and throughput, I put this in where folks want extra.

https://ltefix.com/product-category/wifi-adapters/

I use a GoldenOrb, I had to make my own version to get this running tip top.

http://ofmodemsandmen.com/

If you would like me to build you a router like this let me know. 

I am tinkering with my Pepwave MAX HD2 with the LM960 modem. 

I noticed that LTEFix has the build tutorial for the H721 as well. I would love to build one if the H721 is better than the Pepwave build I'm working on right now. The Pepwave OS/firmware is very stable and user friendly. It has lots of features.  Not sure which one is the better build (Pepwave or the H721)?

https://ltefix.com/shop/routers/m2m-routers/m2m-nexg-h721/

Edited by PJG

On 2/16/2020 at 10:15 AM, PJG said:

I am tinkering with my Pepwave MAX HD2 with the LM960 modem. 

I noticed that LTEFix has the build tutorial for the H721 as well. I would love to build one if the H721 is better than the Pepwave build I'm working on right now. The Pepwave OS/firmware is very stable and user friendly. It has lots of features.  Not sure which one is the better build (Pepwave or the H721)?

https://ltefix.com/shop/routers/m2m-routers/m2m-nexg-h721/

The firmware is open source, so you can make it do what you like depending on the amount of time and skill you have to apply. I use golden orbModem Manager is popular, and open mptcp is a nice program. These are mostly prebaked packages that operate well with barbarians like me. Easy to flash and tinker. The router is nice. It is theV1. a V2 is coming in a couple months at most.

If you like what you have and it does what you want than work on improving it as much as you are comfortable. then apply those ideas to how you will build next. It is amazing what does and does not apply sometimes between different kit. Keep reading on how the radios talk, each one speaks a little of it's own language and may work differently in routers sometimes. Then read all the hardware design guides twice. I love Quectel lately,  and the LM960 is a pretty good card for at least a few years in different routers, machines or whatever robot people are plugging these things into these days.

Have fun 🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸

4 hours ago, belusnecropolis said:

The firmware is open source, so you can make it do what you like depending on the amount of time and skill you have to apply. I use golden orbModem Manager is popular, and open mptcp is a nice program. These are mostly prebaked packages that operate well with barbarians like me. Easy to flash and tinker. The router is nice. It is theV1. a V2 is coming in a couple months at most.

If you like what you have and it does what you want than work on improving it as much as you are comfortable. then apply those ideas to how you will build next. It is amazing what does and does not apply sometimes between different kit. Keep reading on how the radios talk, each one speaks a little of it's own language and may work differently in routers sometimes. Then read all the hardware design guides twice. I love Quectel lately,  and the LM960 is a pretty good card for at least a few years in different routers, machines or whatever robot people are plugging these things into these days.

Have fun 🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸

Thanks for the feedback. It would be curious to see if the Pepwave firmware recognizes the Quectel modem. Specially what model and version would you recommend? 

9 hours ago, PJG said:

Thanks for the feedback. It would be curious to see if the Pepwave firmware recognizes the Quectel modem. Specially what model and version would you recommend? 

I don't know if it will be able to utilize a Quectel. The EM12 is a good radio. If you need more, get the EM20.

7 hours ago, belusnecropolis said:

I don't know if it will be able to utilize a Quectel. The EM12 is a good radio. If you need more, get the EM20.

What's the best place to purchase the EM12 or EM20?

https://ltefix.com/shop/modems/quectel-modems/quectel-em12-g-cat12-m-2-modem/

EM20 is out of stock right now there though. Ebay has a couple sellers from China for 265 so who knows on shipping, I will see if I can source you one domestic. 

8 minutes ago, PJG said:

What's the best place to purchase the EM12 or EM20?