Build your own devices, routers, relays, IoT etc.

4 minutes ago, belusnecropolis said:

https://ltefix.com/shop/modems/quectel-modems/quectel-em12-g-cat12-m-2-modem/

EM20 is out of stock right now there though. Ebay has a couple sellers from China for 265 so who knows on shipping, I will see if I can source you one domestic. 

Great.. I'm willing to try the EM20 in the Pepwave. However, I may be waiting my money if it does not work...

Edited by PJG

3 minutes ago, PJG said:

Great.. I'm willing to try the EM20 in the Pepwave. However, I may be waiting my money if it does not work...

Yes you want a sled or a chassis of some sort that will operate it correctly. I do not have a pepwave to test the ones I have. If Pepwave has a forum, look there for any leads or other users who are looking for this combination.

It obviously works in the m2m. I am working on adding a failover radio in next week's version. Did you mention the pepwave has a second radio yes? It is a cool feature to have.   

8 hours ago, belusnecropolis said:

Yes you want a sled or a chassis of some sort that will operate it correctly. I do not have a pepwave to test the ones I have. If Pepwave has a forum, look there for any leads or other users who are looking for this combination.

It obviously works in the m2m. I am working on adding a failover radio in next week's version. Did you mention the pepwave has a second radio yes? It is a cool feature to have.   

The Pepwave unit I have does have 2 radios. However, changing out the second radio requires you to totally dissemble the unit to remove it.

11 hours ago, PJG said:

The Pepwave unit I have does have 2 radios. However, changing out the second radio requires you to totally dissemble the unit to remove it.

The Pepwave unit I have does have 2 radios. However, changing out the second radio requires you to totally disassemble the unit to remove it.

Ok guys need some help i have a pepwave max hd2  firmware 8.0.0.2 with the telit lm960 and running 4x4mimo on sim tmobile but in pepwave dashboard it keeps saying  resetting and can get anything ... any help 

47 minutes ago, Jp156 said:

Ok guys need some help i have a pepwave max hd2  firmware 8.0.0.2 with the telit lm960 and running 4x4mimo on sim tmobile but in pepwave dashboard it keeps saying  resetting and can get anything ... any help 

Is your APN correct? What are your signal levels like? Is this plan provisioned as a data line and is it IMEI locked to a certain device?

10 minutes ago, Jp156 said:

I cant get it to say anything but resetting on the cellular 1 

I get it, but could you let me know if you tried setting the APN to the one your plan is provisioned for? Maybe fast.t-mobile.com or fbb.home?

What service is your plan provisioned as, is it a voice, tablet or connected device line?

Is the SIM card attached to the plan locked to this or another device?

• 4 weeks later...

Hey everyone, I wanted to share something that I've been working on. I bought a Fibocom 850GL from eBay (the HP version) for about $30. My original intention was to create a DIY Portable Mobile Hotspot with a Raspberry Pi acting as the router and a TP Link WR902ac for a fast WiFi AP. I got two Cradlepoint antennas (I didn't trust any cheap ones on eBay/Amazon) that is rated to pickup 2.5 GHz and put the modem in an enclosure that converts from M.2 to USB 3.0 with a SIM slot.

You can see it all together held by rubber bands (there is also a 20,000 mAh battery underneath it all):

rVQNzAn.jpg

It worked great! I installed OpenWRT on the RPi and configured it to get a cellular data connection. I used it for a few weeks taking it around town and it was stable. However data speeds weren't as fast as it should be (about 42 Mbps). I initially thought it was the antennas but after some digging around I figured out a way to fix it. To keep it brief, abrasive on GitHub figured out how to change USB modes with an AT command. I tried changing the USB mode to 7 which allows it to work in Windows using CDC MBIM (before it wouldn't work in Windows). To my surprise it worked, and without any drivers! Best of all, I'm seeing much better data speeds almost upwards of 120 Mbps download. The modem supports 3xCA on B41. 

trrmc2j.png 

From here, I haven't gotten much further. I'd like to put this modem in a real router using PCIe instead of USB but I'm unsure about compatibility and drivers when looking some up. Now why this modem? You can activate it on Sprint as a "tablet" which costs $15/month after auto pay (the HP version only) for unlimited data.

Also as a side note, right now I deactivated it. Should I reactivate it again because of the merger and the plan not being available? I don't need this but it's pretty cool to have. 

Edited by notsrealinc
  • Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
12 hours ago, dnwk said:

Is there any LTE modules that would support B71?

Commercially available; Quectel has a cat 4 device or you are looking at 300 bux for an LM960 from Telit.

I have a few engineering samples of Quectel's RM500 and RM510 coming, they have band 71 on 4G and 5G, production models should start up whenever the Wuhan coronavirus slows down in Hubei and Shenzhen. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

lgEWx2Mr.jpg

Will put this together tomorrow. Router is a test cut dual SIM, One LTE radio and one New Radio radio, Dual band WiFi, all modular of course. Once assembled I can hunt for signals.

hz7a3oXr.jpg

I've had an Telit LM960 crushing it on ATT in an CBA850 for a couple weeks. I really like this new A18 model. It gets 4x MiMo on the second carrier and sometimes third, 3x uplink aggregation on a few band combinations and all sorts of sweet band support. 

• Love 1

I ordered another LM960 and a bag o goodies from Quectel. I got an RM510-Q, that mmWave jazz, another 500 and some EM-20's. 

I still have the first bag of RM500Q. I waited on building this to get a good board and some firmware to try to garner some interest of a complete build. 5G cards are a larger form factor then your usual m.2 sled, router or slot! They have an extra 10mm.

I made vidya getting acquainted with the dev board and RM500 but haven't been able to garner interest now that I have a good router and several ancillary parts like WiFi cards and an LTE card for the mPCIe slot. ;-; I will build it today and go Five Gee hunting tonight.

i completed the 5G build.

The LTE radio is just killer in this thing. I have tested to make sure we have ENDC going and all signs(at commands) point to yes. I took her for a spin in Frank Sonata today to pick up some carryout and was unable to make a 5G connection on n71 so I will take a trip down to that band 2/5/71 only tower I used to confirm 71 on my LM960. That site is nice and out of range of most other sites so I will be able to park for a few and run some commands. This trip should be much safer then last time lolol. I will roll in NR only mode and see what she picks up.

• Like 2

I will roll in NR only mode and see what she picks up.

I don't believe any providers in the US (or anywhere really) have deployed NR SA. Everything is NSA still. I've seen some Network Signal Guru data from Ericsson test labs showing standalone, but no one is planning to deploy it until the end of the year at the earliest.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, ingenium said:

US

Oh great point I completely missed! As expected it got zero hits overnight. She is back in dual RAT before I take her out there innawoods looking for signal soon.

I forgot to turn off band 5 until I was on the way home so I spent most of my time camped there ;-; I was only able to pass that one tower today. I will have more opportunities tomorrow. I explored the band locking feature. 2020 interjected into my plans, a distracted driver plowed into Frank Sonata so now I don't have wheels. I am going to explore building a capable stand for this router now in the lab since it is stationary until further notice.

Silver lining I get to build stuff, schematic time!

Telit released new firmware for the LM960 last month, this now includes band locking support for L66 and L71. I was able to update mine no problem on my crappy windows 10 laptop. You will need the Telit windows drivers and the firmware update file. These are available from Telit, download via your vendor, or Techship. If you are unable to find them I can get you a copy. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/9/2020 at 4:55 PM, belusnecropolis said:

get to build stuff

I utilized all of the scrap furniture in my lab and amalgamated it onto a frankenpole until I get my fresh new one built. Say hello to the TrashMonster™ 5G Edition.

dyJ9iq2.jpg

JiEvUE1.jpg

TrashMonster™ works hard, TrashMonster™ plays hard. 

I am still working with the Quectel RM500Q-GL. I have been on midband(1.7-2.7 antenna for the last few weeks since getting stuff is a pain right now, so no 5G quite yet at the homestead . .  hopefully until today :) I just got my 2kUSD order of 4x MiMo wideband antennas and routers in today! 

oxP9ojG.jpg

Super pumped to get this going. 

I have an Fibocom 5G card coming around Wednesday, and a pile of Quectel radios coming in June.

So far the only routers capable of taking this thicc 5G form factor modem are the ZBT WG1608 which I will also have a few of in June. It is basically a beefed up WG3526.  

The H721 m2m v3 that I am working with is good so far, really good for a prototype. I am hoping that one gets into production soon since I like the modular mPCIe slots for adding or removing WIFi, and it also supports dual sim/dual radios. I have yet to explore this but I intend to soon. Waiting for my pile of TelitLM960's to get here.

Anyhoo, I have a busy month of building stuffs ahead. I hope everyone here has a great weekend and gets a good laugh out of my developer edition pole. Stay 🇺🇸 free 🇺🇸 out there folks!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

We also got a new to us Frank Sonata, we on Ver 3. People just love driving into my wife, I am installing an auto turret and some brush guard on this one I swear.  So once I get all of these parts centrally located and built into New Frank, I am gonna head out for some more travel and fotos.

On 5/24/2020 at 1:41 AM, belusnecropolis said:

I utilized all of the scrap furniture in my lab and amalgamated it onto a frankenpole until I get my fresh new one built. Say hello to the TrashMonster™ 5G Edition.

dyJ9iq2.jpg

JiEvUE1.jpg

TrashMonster™ works hard, TrashMonster™ plays hard. 

I am still working with the Quectel RM500Q-GL. I have been on midband(1.7-2.7 antenna for the last few weeks since getting stuff is a pain right now, so no 5G quite yet at the homestead . .  hopefully until today :) I just got my 2kUSD order of 4x MiMo wideband antennas and routers in today! 

oxP9ojG.jpg

Super pumped to get this going. 

I have an Fibocom 5G card coming around Wednesday, and a pile of Quectel radios coming in June.

So far the only routers capable of taking this thicc 5G form factor modem are the ZBT WG1608 which I will also have a few of in June. It is basically a beefed up WG3526.  

The H721 m2m v3 that I am working with is good so far, really good for a prototype. I am hoping that one gets into production soon since I like the modular mPCIe slots for adding or removing WIFi, and it also supports dual sim/dual radios. I have yet to explore this but I intend to soon. Waiting for my pile of TelitLM960's to get here.

Anyhoo, I have a busy month of building stuffs ahead. I hope everyone here has a great weekend and gets a good laugh out of my developer edition pole. Stay 🇺🇸 free 🇺🇸 out there folks!

Nice! :o 

• Like 1

It’s been a while since I’ve posted here since I’ve switched away from Sprint but I happened upon your thread while researching an upgrade to my Rural Internet Setup and I thought you might be able to help some

I currently have a MoFi 4500 with two 35ft long LMR400 cables going from inside my cabin up to two panel antennas on the roof https://imgur.com/a/NpOjzwM

It’s working ok but I think I’m missing out on a lot of bandwidth since bands 14 and 66 have been added to the area and I could get better signal with a modem mounted behind the antennas (eliminating a lot of line loss).

I’ve been looking at mounting a Telit LM960 or Quectel EM20 in a panel behind the antennas outside along with a Golden Orb compatible router powered by POE and adding another pair of antennas for 4x4 MIMO.

Since you’ve tested both the EM20 and the LM960, which do you prefer? It appears the LM960 actually has better CA combinations for AT&T’s network even though it’s theoretically not as high level of LTE technology category as the Quectel.

It appears to me most of the higher order carrier aggregation on the Quectel is with CBRS or LTE unlicensed which I don’t think I’ll ever see in this rural Edge of Cell area.

Also does it appear to you that having these installed outside would be a reliability issue? It gets really hot here in the summers with plenty of severe weather and it can be cold in Winters. The LM960 at least appears to have a pretty broad operating temperature range.

Any advice is appreciated, thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2