Build your own devices, routers, relays, IoT etc.

yes, it only support 2x2 currently(only have 2 antenna port)

Thought so. I'm excited for 4x4 modems to come out. When the providers actually implement Rank 4, it basically doubles throughput. Sprint has 4x4 on sites, but at least in Samsung markets, only does Rank 1 or 2, so there's no speed bump (just a more robust signal). I don't know off hand if AT&T or Verizon do Rank 3/4 yet, but I know T-Mobile does.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

• Like 1

T-Mobile on 4x4 is great. Unfortunately my card only does 4x4 on the first component carrier. When they update for multi channel 4x4 is when it gets exciting.

2 hours ago, ingenium said:

Thought so. I'm excited for 4x4 modems to come out. When the providers actually implement Rank 4, it basically doubles throughput. Sprint has 4x4 on sites, but at least in Samsung markets, only does Rank 1 or 2, so there's no speed bump (just a more robust signal). I don't know off hand if AT&T or Verizon do Rank 3/4 yet, but I know T-Mobile does.

T-Mobile on 4x4 is great. Unfortunately my card only does 4x4 on the first component carrier. When they update for multi channel 4x4 is when it gets exciting.

How do you have your antennas oriented relative to one another? I'm assuming you have 4 antennas?

• 2 weeks later...

8lvc.jpg

Went all in on this new dual sim router built for failover. I am having quite the time getting all these radios to behave! Nice to be able to install an mPCIe WiFi card since all mediatek embedded radios are trash. Even this repurposed laptop WiFi card I installed does better.

Currently hosting an LM960 and an EM7565. The custom port I needed to make in goldenorb for the LM960 do not play nice with the EM7565. I am going to get some Telit support baked in and then I should be good to go. The Telit card is still on version 1 firmware and no connection issues. The EM7565 . . . I have to perform reanimation on every time it needs an update. Telit card is just shooting 3's from half court now.

The router has a small physical switch to manipulate which sim you want. I am going to put this in a box on the roof, I wonder how I could automate that switch? It would probably be better to just enjoy the stability this build offers with one radio and a 5GHz wifi card for outdoors, but I probably can't just do that.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ingenium pointed me to this thread.  I just finished configuring my 4-headed system for the Sprint network using the new Sprint Inseego/Novatel MiFi8000.  Attached is a photo showing the configuration.

Router:  qty=1:  Pepwave MAX-OTG-U4 (Max On-The-Go with FOUR active USB ports).  Note that the "MAX-OTG" and "MAX-OTG-U1" just have 1 active port.  The MAX-OTG-U4 Supports 4 USB WAN ports, 1 ethernet LAN port, 1 ethernet WAN port, and WiFi connections.  Bought from 5Gstore.com

Modem:  qty=4: Sprint Inseego/Novatel MiFi8000 (a sister unit of the Verizon MiFi8800L).  The MiFi8000 supports Sprint's bands (e.g.  Band 41, etc.). Sprint has a sale right now.  $2.50 per month for 24 months (i.e.  $60).  Bought directly from Sprint. Arrived with everything configured -- plug and play.  No dinking around with SIM cards that don't fit,  aren't the right format, or aren't recognized.

Antennas: qty=4: Netgear AirCard MIMO Antenna. Bought from Amazon (B00DN3J03O). Quite frankly, the only reason why I got this was because it had the dual TS9 connectors and the cable is 50cm long.  I previously tried some TS9 to SMA adapters, but wasn't happy with how that worked.

Since I was paying $240/month for Sprint's old 120GB per month grandfathered plan, the plan for these 400GB is 4*$65 = $260/month.  Yes, it is horribly expensive, but I live out in the country and have had continual problems since Sprint bought Clear and disassembled WiMax.  Waiting for Verizon, waiting for SpaceX's satellite cluster. waiting for the continuous promises of fixed wireless, etc.  and I'm tired of continually jumping through hoops.  These companies could make a killing here in the country if they would just try...  And I'm not in the "country"; I'm 2 miles outside of city limits.  Even the pizza delivery people come out to me.  But no cable, and DSL tops out at 3Mbps here.  So I'm stuck with wireless.

Pros:

• The Pepwave MAX-OTG-U4 works fine with the MiFi8000.  Even though the MiFi8000 isn't in Pepwave's compatibility list, it was just plug-and-go for me.
  • Speeds for a single MiFi8000 are 20 Mbps using a modest flat panel antenna.  I'm not getting dramatically more signal-strength bars than without, but it does allow me to stuff the units in a drawer and stack the units up willy-nilly.  The antennas will mount on a wall with a picture in front of them.
  • The USB cable from the MAX-OTG-U4 powers the MiFi8000 units.  It doesn't have any problems driving all 4 of them.
  • The MiFi8000 has TS9 connectors.  I would have preferred SMA, but the TS9's seem to work OK with this flat panel.

Cons:

• The battery has to stay in even though the MiFi8000 is on the USB cable.  If I take the battery out, it complains then shuts down.  Since it is going to be powered 24.7, this is probably going to eat the batteries and these unused batteries will need to be replaced periodically...

Thanks,

Scott

unit.jpg

• Like 1

On 9/7/2019 at 11:14 PM, 645824 said:

Ingenium pointed me to this thread.  I just finished configuring my 4-headed system for the Sprint network using the new Sprint Inseego/Novatel MiFi8000.  Attached is a photo showing the configuration.

Router:  qty=1:  Pepwave MAX-OTG-U4 (Max On-The-Go with FOUR active USB ports).  Note that the "MAX-OTG" and "MAX-OTG-U1" just have 1 active port.  The MAX-OTG-U4 Supports 4 USB WAN ports, 1 ethernet LAN port, 1 ethernet WAN port, and WiFi connections.  Bought from 5Gstore.com

Modem:  qty=4: Sprint Inseego/Novatel MiFi8000 (a sister unit of the Verizon MiFi8800L).  The MiFi8000 supports Sprint's bands (e.g.  Band 41, etc.). Sprint has a sale right now.  $2.50 per month for 24 months (i.e.  $60).  Bought directly from Sprint. Arrived with everything configured -- plug and play.  No dinking around with SIM cards that don't fit,  aren't the right format, or aren't recognized.

Antennas: qty=4: Netgear AirCard MIMO Antenna. Bought from Amazon (B00DN3J03O). Quite frankly, the only reason why I got this was because it had the dual TS9 connectors and the cable is 50cm long.  I previously tried some TS9 to SMA adapters, but wasn't happy with how that worked.

Since I was paying $240/month for Sprint's old 120GB per month grandfathered plan, the plan for these 400GB is 4*$65 = $260/month.  Yes, it is horribly expensive, but I live out in the country and have had continual problems since Sprint bought Clear and disassembled WiMax.  Waiting for Verizon, waiting for SpaceX's satellite cluster. waiting for the continuous promises of fixed wireless, etc.  and I'm tired of continually jumping through hoops.  These companies could make a killing here in the country if they would just try...  And I'm not in the "country"; I'm 2 miles outside of city limits.  Even the pizza delivery people come out to me.  But no cable, and DSL tops out at 3Mbps here.  So I'm stuck with wireless.

Pros:

• The Pepwave MAX-OTG-U4 works fine with the MiFi8000.  Even though the MiFi8000 isn't in Pepwave's compatibility list, it was just plug-and-go for me.
  • Speeds for a single MiFi8000 are 20 Mbps using a modest flat panel antenna.  I'm not getting dramatically more signal-strength bars than without, but it does allow me to stuff the units in a drawer and stack the units up willy-nilly.  The antennas will mount on a wall with a picture in front of them.
  • The USB cable from the MAX-OTG-U4 powers the MiFi8000 units.  It doesn't have any problems driving all 4 of them.
  • The MiFi8000 has TS9 connectors.  I would have preferred SMA, but the TS9's seem to work OK with this flat panel.

Cons:

• The battery has to stay in even though the MiFi8000 is on the USB cable.  If I take the battery out, it complains then shuts down.  Since it is going to be powered 24.7, this is probably going to eat the batteries and these unused batteries will need to be replaced periodically...

Thanks,

Scott

unit.jpg

I have an AT&T UDP, a couple Tmo UDP's and had a Sprint UDP. This seems really expansive for one carrier. I hope you get what you need.

12 hours ago, belusnecropolis said:

I have an AT&T UDP, a couple Tmo UDP's and had a Sprint UDP before I woke up. This seems really expansive for one carrier. I hope you get what you need.

On 9/7/2019 at 11:14 PM, 645824 said:

Pros:

Cons:

Thanks,

Scott

unit.jpg

I mean, do you do one channel per or just suction per plan via load balance? You could fake poor and get PC's for people at 10 bucks a month. Buy a Calyx sim, get an connected car ATT plan, a Verizon pUDP/FUDP, a 15/ month Kickstart plan, or any T-Mo UDP and adjust your TTL settings and achieve what you want. The hoops you mention are not that tough and no one has suffered an extreme loss that I know of and I was the first to call and say hey, xfer my calyx from this crappy battery hotspot to my netgear 6100D at the time, AND IT WORKED.

Listen, the rules do not apply. You can get guilt tripped all day about being a data abuser, you still need internet. Many are city dwellers that like to shit on anyone that doesn't subscribe to the idea of paying 150 a month for a cable drop. They literally hate people that don't live like they do, see any post about expanding rural coverage and you will be met with but we are the money. I appreciate your need and expound the great agility you took with no strings attached but you are going to eat it in fees and modem/battery replacement. 5G store sells stuff at a MAXXX premium. 

You are a smart guy, I hated the hassle too so I said adios Sprint. I can contribute and still know they are a garbage choice in my area.  

This is an awesome set of hardware. You have made a great setup that is futureproof and will handle other, more accommodating plans. 

13 hours ago, belusnecropolis said:

I mean, do you do one channel per or just suction per plan via load balance? You could fake poor and get PC's for people at 10 bucks a month. Buy a Calyx sim, get an connected car ATT plan, a Verizon pUDP/FUDP, a 15/ month Kickstart plan, or any T-Mo UDP and adjust your TTL settings and achieve what you want. The hoops you mention are not that tough and no one has suffered an extreme loss that I know of and I was the first to call and say hey, xfer my calyx from this crappy battery hotspot to my netgear 6100D at the time, AND IT WORKED.

Listen, the rules do not apply. You can get guilt tripped all day about being a data abuser, you still need internet. Many are city dwellers that like to shit on anyone that doesn't subscribe to the idea of paying 150 a month for a cable drop. They literally hate people that don't live like they do, see any post about expanding rural coverage and you will be met with but we are the money. I appreciate your need and expound the great agility you took with no strings attached but you are going to eat it in fees and modem/battery replacement. 5G store sells stuff at a MAXXX premium. 

You are a smart guy, I hated the hassle too so I said adios Sprint. I can contribute and still know they are a garbage choice in my area.  

This is an awesome set of hardware. You have made a great setup that is futureproof and will handle other, more accommodating plans. 

I am using qty=4 of the 100 GB/month plans.  Each MiFi8000 has an individual plan and an individual phone number at $65 each, that comes to $260.  So it is a tad more expensive than my existing $240/month for 120 GB.  

My four MiFi8000 units are load-balanced by the MAX-OTG-U4.  So it distributes the load among the four and also (might) make things more reliable.  I've been watching the load graphs over the weekend and the MAX-OTG-U4 is doing what it is supposed to.

Although there are other features in it (speed aggregation, etc.) I didn't activate any of those features.  Quite frankly, 20 Mbps is fine for what I need.  I just need a good download speed for video streaming (there's no cable where I am), and a reasonable upload speed for the plethora of security cameras that I have.

I share your frustration.  In my area, there is no cable, DSL is 3 Mbps, Verizon throttles and severely limits, Tmobile limits, and AT&T coverage is spotty.  So I'm stuck with Sprint until something better comes along.  I'm just lucky that I am  "only"  3 miles away from the Sprint tower.

I've seen reports that Sprint is starting to throttle Calyx accounts also -- seems they wised up. At this point, I have eliminated finger-pointing; for any problem it is Sprint's fault since it is their contract, their tower, and their branded hardware.  Ever since my Clear (WiMax) was eliminated it has been a continual mish-mash and has been a continual headache.

I can take a headache; but when my wife or sons constantly say  "Daddy, fix the Internet"  it really digs...

As soon as something comes along that is reliable and cheaper, I'll jump.  Living in the "country" means that I'm not on any company's front-burner.  So right now I have internet, it works, and speeds are reasonable; but yes, it is horribly expensive.  So I can bide my time waiting for SpaceX's satellite-based system that should work BETTER in the country since there is less multi-path interference and clutter.

For those gentle readers who are confused, note that I'm paying $260/month for 400GB/month unthrottled.  So any hardware costs are ignorable...  When forced to abandon Clear's WiMax several years ago, then I had cycled through 3 passive 18dBi 6-foot long 2.5 GHz Yagi high-gain antennas, a Netgear modem, several routers, two Cradlepoint COR-IBR900's, one Cradlepoint COR-IBR1700, and a dozen SIM cards.  At that point, enough was enough.

Thanks,

Scott

• Like 1

I am using qty=4 of the 100 GB/month plans.  Each MiFi8000 has an individual plan and an individual phone number at $65 each, that comes to $260.  So it is a tad more expensive than my existing $240/month for 120 GB.  
My four MiFi8000 units are load-balanced by the MAX-OTG-U4.  So it distributes the load among the four and also (might) make things more reliable.  I've been watching the load graphs over the weekend and the MAX-OTG-U4 is doing what it is supposed to.
Although there are other features in it (speed aggregation, etc.) I didn't activate any of those features.  Quite frankly, 20 Mbps is fine for what I need.  I just need a good download speed for video streaming (there's no cable where I am), and a reasonable upload speed for the plethora of security cameras that I have.

I share your frustration.  In my area, there is no cable, DSL is 3 Mbps, Verizon throttles and severely limits, Tmobile limits, and AT&T coverage is spotty.  So I'm stuck with Sprint until something better comes along.  I'm just lucky that I am  "only"  3 miles away from the Sprint tower.
I've seen reports that Sprint is starting to throttle Calyx accounts also -- seems they wised up. At this point, I have eliminated finger-pointing; for any problem it is Sprint's fault since it is their contract, their tower, and their branded hardware.  Ever since my Clear (WiMax) was eliminated it has been a continual mish-mash and has been a continual headache.
I can take a headache; but when my wife or sons constantly say  "Daddy, fix the Internet"  it really digs...
As soon as something comes along that is reliable and cheaper, I'll jump.  Living in the "country" means that I'm not on any company's front-burner.  So right now I have internet, it works, and speeds are reasonable; but yes, it is horribly expensive.  So I can bide my time waiting for SpaceX's satellite-based system that should work BETTER in the country since there is less multi-path interference and clutter.

For those gentle readers who are confused, note that I'm paying $260/month for 400GB/month unthrottled.  So any hardware costs are ignorable...  When forced to abandon Clear's WiMax several years ago, then I had cycled through 3 passive 18dBi 6-foot long 2.5 GHz Yagi high-gain antennas, a Netgear modem, several routers, two Cradlepoint COR-IBR900's, one Cradlepoint COR-IBR1700, and a dozen SIM cards.  At that point, enough was enough.
Thanks,
Scott

Did you try Calyx? That was one person reporting potential throttling (I was one of the commenters on the post) over a year ago, and I was still unthrottled when I last used Calyx a few months ago. I suspect his site just got congested (which happened on my site as well. Verified with my Sprint phone getting the same performance).

Calyx is coded as a "Spectrum Mobile Broadband 30GB" plan, which should not be throttled or deprioritized. It is a metered plan just like the one you're on now. It incurs overages after 30GB (expensive on paper, like $20 or $30/GB) in theory, but Calyx / Mobile Citizen have basically an unlimited bucket that these overages come from.@lilotimz can explain it better, but basically Sprint doesn't charge them for the overages. Sprint would need to re-code the plan I believe to throttle it, since the Spectrum Mobile Broadband plan is not throttled since it charges for overages.

Even if it did start getting deprioritized, if you can get a Magic Box and have it get a usable signal, it should bypass deprioritization. The deprioritization is done on a per eNB basis. Since you will be the only person on the MB eNB, it will be seen as uncongested and not deprioritized. In theory the MB is actually prioritized over other devices on the macro / donor.

If your setup is working for you and you're happy with it, that's fantastic and is what really matters. But there may be ways to save you a substantial amount of money for basically the same service (that is less complex), which is why we're suggesting them.

23 hours ago, ingenium said:

Did you try Calyx? That was one person reporting potential throttling (I was one of the commenters on the post) over a year ago, and I was still unthrottled when I last used Calyx a few months ago. I suspect his site just got congested (which happened on my site as well. Verified with my Sprint phone getting the same performance).

Calyx is coded as a "Spectrum Mobile Broadband 30GB" plan, which should not be throttled or deprioritized. It is a metered plan just like the one you're on now. It incurs overages after 30GB (expensive on paper, like $20 or $30/GB) in theory, but Calyx / Mobile Citizen have basically an unlimited bucket that these overages come from.@lilotimz can explain it better, but basically Sprint doesn't charge them for the overages. Sprint would need to re-code the plan I believe to throttle it, since the Spectrum Mobile Broadband plan is not throttled since it charges for overages.

Even if it did start getting deprioritized, if you can get a Magic Box and have it get a usable signal, it should bypass deprioritization. The deprioritization is done on a per eNB basis. Since you will be the only person on the MB eNB, it will be seen as uncongested and not deprioritized. In theory the MB is actually prioritized over other devices on the macro / donor.

If your setup is working for you and you're happy with it, that's fantastic and is what really matters. But there may be ways to save you a substantial amount of money for basically the same service (that is less complex), which is why we're suggesting them.

Nope, didn't try Calyx.  I'm burned out by all of the multi-step hoop jumping that I've gone through over the past several years.

I don't want to open the door to Calyx + Magic Box + Mobile Citizen + ...      At this point, I have a solution and it seems to be working.  It is horribly expensive but it is fast and reliable (and those are taking priority for my household right now).  A happy wife and happy children supersedes other issues.

Thanks for the pointers,

Scott

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, 645824 said:

Nope, didn't try Calyx.  I'm burned out by all of the multi-step hoop jumping that I've gone through over the past several years.

I don't want to open the door to Calyx + Magic Box + Mobile Citizen + ...      At this point, I have a solution and it seems to be working.  It is horribly expensive but it is fast and reliable (and those are taking priority for my household right now).  A happy wife and happy children supersedes other issues.

Thanks for the pointers,

Scott

I have a 800 dollar jalopy spread all over my radio room. No complaints about how it looks as long as Netflix streams crisp and clear. 

I identify with your statement.

On 9/9/2019 at 8:24 AM, 645824 said:

Update:  it has been a couple of weeks now and things are still working fine.

The only issue that I ran into is that if the external dual-antenna is attached, and the MiFi 8000 has trouble locking onto a signal, then it keeps rebooting over and over every 30 seconds.   I tried re-positioning the antenna but for the time being I've switched back to just using the built-in (internal) antenna.  I've lost some signal levels (a bar or two) but will spend more time on the weekend to get better positioning of the antennas for less unit-to-unit interference.

I just wish it would allow the removal of the battery.  The USB cables are providing power to the units, so I don't need the batteries. But when I take the battery out, it shuts down. It really seems to be designed for the battery in-place whether we want it or not.  I haven't looked into what jumpers/loads would be required to fool the battery connector.

Scott

• Like 1

On 9/18/2019 at 6:21 AM, 645824 said:

Update:  it has been a couple of weeks now and things are still working fine.

Update to my update.  I posted this review on the Sprint web page, but they deleted it.  I gave it 1 Star because of the reboot-cycle issue with the Sprint InSeeGo MiFi 8000 (the Verizon InSeeGo MiFi 8800L has the same problem).

I am using the latest firmware on my Sprint MiFi 8000 (firmware version 1S). This has the same reboot problem that others have reported. It also has the same reboot problem that the Verizon MiFi 8800L has; even with firmware 1S. So it appears that InSeeGo is having problems identifying/reproducing the problem. And they aren't able to fix it.

I have four of the Sprint MiFi 8000 units, and they all have the same reboot problem. Pulling out the battery, then putting it back in, then doing the Profile Update seems to help for awhile. Although the unit works fine when it works, I can't give more than 1 star to a device that keeps auto-rebooting.

I also attached an external antenna to the Sprint MiFi 8000 external antenna ports (the TS9 antenna ports under the two rubber caps on the same side of the unit as the USB connector). But that made the problem worse. I suspect that the unit is rebooting whenever there are signal level issues (either with the internal antenna or the external antenna). And it thinks that rebooting itself will somehow make things better...

So the firmware needs to be updated to stop doing that. It seems like a simple fix; or give the user the option. If the unit is in a reboot cycle, we can't access the menu system to adjust anything. So if you have the reboot cycle, try repositioning the unit to get a better signal. Or attach an external antenna (Netgear has a flat panel with two TS9 connectors that made directly to the two ports on the Sprint MiFi 8000)  *and*  position that external antenna to get a very good signal. The reboot threshold for an external antenna appears to be worse than the reboot threshold for the internal antenna.

Since InSeeGo has had many months to fix this problem, I'm going to try one of the HTC 5G units from Sprint to see if that is any better.

I am out in the country, 2 km from the Sprint cell tower, so I only get 3 bars. I imagine that folks with 5 bars wouldn't have this problem, so I'm guessing that rebooting is related to signal level.  The unit seems to think that rebooting will make things better???

Scott

Should have my Tri-WAN system up to test by next week! Finally made a schematic for an outdoor mount, have a cat 20 radio coming and getting lots of throughput on my dual setup now.

Getting close to 75 peak at the homestead and everything is still ground mounted or on a pole in the lab.

I'm saving the flagpole for Five Gee and a few other projects so this was a nice compromise.

I get to pitch a cat 20 against a cat 18 against a cat 12 Thursday night; all embedded in their own gigabit capable port.  

I don't know about you guys but if you are in the neighborhood BYO sims and beer and I'll throw on some steaks and taters, or veggie burgers for our California frens. Pretty excited. Watch out for the wires running everywhere ;) trip on one and I bet the whole lab goes down!

I am going to take the cat 20 to town in a portable build so I can maxxx out the carrier aggregation combos, then settle it in at home. Great times ahead!

• Like 1

Shooting for

band 25/66/71 or 5 on T-Mobile

Band 25/66a/66b/30/14 or 12 on AT&T

Need to get a Kickstart plan from Sprint for 41/41/41/25, but because Sprint is Sprint you have to lease a device, call in, do a credit check, get a magic box, yeah...

Anyone have a VZW UDP I could borrow for a few?

On 9/22/2019 at 5:59 PM, belusnecropolis said:

Is Sprint your only option?

Yes. 

Cable isn't available here.  DSL out here is only 3Mbps.  Verizon and T-mobile don't have the data package that I need.  Been waiting forever for a "real" Verizon fixed-wireless plan.  AT&T doesn't have a signal here. 

And Sprint's Band41 has the speed that I would like as a streamer. 

My Sprint HTC 5G hub arrived yesterday.  It seems more stable than my existing 4 Sprint MiFi8000 units so I am connecting that to my Peplink Max-OTG ethernet WAN port (the 4 USB ports are used by the 4 MiFi8000 units).

Thanks,

Scott

1 minute ago, 645824 said:

Yes. 

Cable isn't available here.  DSL out here is only 3Mbps.  Verizon and T-mobile don't have the data package that I need.  Been waiting forever for a "real" Verizon fixed-wireless plan.  AT&T doesn't have a signal here. 

And Sprint's Band41 has the speed that I would like as a streamer. 

My Sprint HTC 5G hub arrived yesterday.  It seems more stable than my existing 4 Sprint MiFi8000 units so I am connecting that to my Peplink Max-OTG ethernet WAN port (the 4 USB ports are used by the 4 MiFi8000 units).

Thanks,

Scott

I am referencing your 5 top end broadband devices whenever some one here claims Sprint has a low ROI for rural build outs. Glad the 5G hub is working better for you Scott. If you want to venture into other carriers let me know, I would be glad to help you out. 

Question, do you use Sprint's public IP service? I know they offer one for, I believe, a 3$ add on if you require one. 

That is the only benefit I have found from them personally, but I use a VPN for my static IP needs on other carriers.

Have a great weekend!

5 hours ago, belusnecropolis said:

I am referencing your 5 top end broadband devices whenever some one here claims Sprint has a low ROI for rural build outs. Glad the 5G hub is working better for you Scott. If you want to venture into other carriers let me know, I would be glad to help you out. 

Question, do you use Sprint's public IP service? I know they offer one for, I believe, a 3$ add on if you require one. 

That is the only benefit I have found from them personally, but I use a VPN for my static IP needs on other carriers.

Have a great weekend!

From a practical standpoint, Sprint is my only option just because of where the cell towers are located, and what data plans and bandwidth the various wireless companies provide here.   My experience, just based on 2-days, is that the HTC 5G hub is much better than the MiFi8000 units.  The HTC unit doesn't continually auto-reboot -- what a concept!   🙂

But I will be first in-line to try the new SpaceX systems once they deploy (StarLink).  That's how desperate I am.  My son's school requires Chromebook; and chromebooks don't work without an internet connection.  That was the last straw and initiated my 4-headed hydra system mentioned above (now it is a 5-headed hydra).  People who live in town just don't understand: "what do you mean the Internet didn't work?"   And I'm not  "in the country",  I'm just 2 miles outside of city limits.  The Internet cliff is very steep...

Thanks,

Scott

• Like 1

On 9/26/2019 at 11:36 PM, 645824 said:

I cut the cable after service, customer and network was just not worth the price. We have a wire, it is just terrible. They coiled 40 ft of RG-8 in my lawn next to my house. The run to the cable plant is about 15 feet. The router was 10 bucks a month and reset often, did not have WiFi. Customer service was incorrigible. 

After trying out my options I am able to carry a couple data plans and maintain a spend on endless cellular gear every month at the same cost as one CableCo subscription, and I have a fun hobby I get to post about. Whenever that fiber gets here I should have my sept-WAN setup mastered fren.

My lab is a nightmare but I have said it before and I will say it again, I can have x hundred/thousand dollar network jalopy going in the garage as long as everything streams in HD in the home. Now that you have that hub keep your eye out for 5G massive MiMo setup on your tower.