What does HD voice need from the network to run on your phone?

I posted a comment about this in the Samsung thread but thought I would throw it out here because it might be a network issue possibly?

I just made the switch to Sprint last Friday with 2 S7 edges for me and my wife. I haven't been able to make or receive HD calls on these phones since we switched over??

I went to the store and they said that I should be able to make and receive HD calls on the S7 edge. They even tried to call me on their phone to mine and it showed attempting HD call on their end but the end result was no HD call??

I was looking forward to keeping some version of HD voice (WB enabled codec through 1x advanced) when I switched from T-Mobile after using their VOLTE which was crystal clear as I still use my phone as a phone and the downgrade to standard voice quality from VOLTE is very noticeable.

Any thoughts guys on why my call log doesn't show HD calls between me and my wife nor does it say attempting HD call? Is it network related or market related issues with the S7 edge?

Thx

Did you integrate with Google voice?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I have, does that cause problems? Because hd voice seems to work when I make a local call but when I call my brother in a different state it never works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have, does that cause problems? Because hd voice seems to work when I make a local call but when I call my brother in a different state it never works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know why, but Google voice integration completely blocks HD voice for me. Luckily hangouts calls sound almost as good.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Nope never even used Google voice before....It's frustrating that I can't make or receive HD calls yet :(

Send a tweet out to Marci's team. She can will some engineers involved. Sounds like a bug in your market with the S7. Possibility.

I posted a comment about this in the Samsung thread but thought I would throw it out here because it might be a network issue possibly?

I just made the switch to Sprint last Friday with 2 S7 edges for me and my wife. I haven't been able to make or receive HD calls on these phones since we switched over??

I went to the store and they said that I should be able to make and receive HD calls on the S7 edge. They even tried to call me on their phone to mine and it showed attempting HD call on their end but the end result was no HD call??

I was looking forward to keeping some version of HD voice (WB enabled codec through 1x advanced) when I switched from T-Mobile after using their VOLTE which was crystal clear as I still use my phone as a phone and the downgrade to standard voice quality from VOLTE is very noticeable.

Any thoughts guys on why my call log doesn't show HD calls between me and my wife nor does it say attempting HD call? Is it network related or market related issues with the S7 edge?

Thx

HD Voice rarely works for me, even when I was on my LG G3.  It only works about 50% of the time when calling my sister's Sprint phone and she is in Chicago.  Either way, Sprint's voice quality is a lot better than the other carriers, so it doesn't matter that much.  If only HD voice would work carrier to carrier, that would be great.  I'm tired of mushmouth Verizon callers.

• Like 2

I don't know why, but Google voice integration completely blocks HD voice for me.

With Google Voice integration, reports are that your calls have to be transcoded, probably to PCM, in order to pass through Google's servers.  At this point, if there is any transcoding away from EVRC-NW, such as in a call to a landline, then the call will not be HD voice.

AJ

• Like 1

HD Voice rarely works for me, even when I was on my LG G3.  It only works about 50% of the time when calling my sister's Sprint phone and she is in Chicago.  Either way, Sprint's voice quality is a lot better than the other carriers, so it doesn't matter that much.  If only HD voice would work carrier to carrier, that would be great.  I'm tired of mushmouth Verizon callers.

I very much agree with you regarding Sprint's voice quality. When I was on Sprint a few times last year, it was a definite improvement over what I've been use to using T-Mobile. I'm not sure if it were HD Voice active during my phone calls using the Nexus 6 and the Kyocera devices on Sprint, but what I liked about Sprint's voice quality is how the sound was clear and more deep-sounding, very rich-like, similar to the sound of someone speaking over a high-end loudspeaker using professional grade equipment and microphone. Whereas, T-Mobile sounds more robotic and static-like with breakups in the transmission. I made a very good post explaining the sound differences back then better than I'm explaining right now. I'll search for it and post it here for a better idea of what I mean.

Ah, I found it! I'll post the link, then I'll also add to here the content of the post I wrote back then. Here is the link : http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/6950-t-mobile-lte-network-discussion-v2/?p=420816

Here is the content of what I wrote, which really explains what I've noticed in the voice quality differences between Sprint and T-Mobile, which I prefer Sprint's voice quality quite a bit more than T-Mobile's. A quick note, I was responding to gusherb in the post, here :

"I didn't answer your question specifically earlier, as I wanted to think of the best way to describe the differences between Sprint's voice quality sound, in contrast to T-Mobile's voice quality sound. Now that I've thought about it for a bit, I think I've figured out an analogy I'm going to use, which I believe is at least fairly accurate.

Sprint's voice quality sounds like someone is speaking through a microphone connected to a good speaker system in an auditorium setting. It is crisp and clear, as long as the person is not speaking too loudly, as it would create an issue for the microphone's sensitivity, which causes artifacts.

T-Mobile's voice quality sounds like someone is speaking through a toned-down megaphone, which despite the volume not being as high, still produces a bass-less amplified sound. Opposite of Sprint, T-Mobile seems to do better when someone is speaking louder, as it has difficulty picking up softer voices and causes a lot of skipping and static, at least from my experiences with it.

Anyways, that is my assessment of the two, again from my experiences with them. Personally, I vastly prefer Sprint's sound with the occasional artifacts, rather than T-Mobile's tinny loudspeaker-like sound."       

Do you have wifi calling enabled?

I do not...haven't tried that feature quite yet, glad I have the option though just like T-Mobile

Send a tweet out to Marci's team. She can will some engineers involved. Sounds like a bug in your market with the S7. Possibility.

I wonder if that's what it is, a problem with the S7 in the Denver market?? I'll see if I can reach out to the appropriate personnel at Sprint to try and get a response to this issue?

Thx

<p>@Arysyn  When you did those tests, was TMobile still using the 24kbps on the AMR-WB codec?  IIRC TMobile downgraded on the down low the codec to ~12Kbps I think. </p>

<p> </p>

<p>My personal preference, I use a combo of stuff regularly.  It is pretty rare that I run into garbage where it sounds like Im trying to talk to someone using a 20ft 2in PVC pipe and really have to jam that phone speaker into my ear to hear well.  Mostly happens when I talk to someone on Verizon.  Here I just assume it is poor Sprint/Verizon call transfer.  But in terms of quality, I don't really have a preference cause they all good.  Each codec and technology is going to have its own unique sound, so as long as I can hear you.  I just want a reliable connection, which I seem to get less with VoIP.  Older technology can be a lot more forgiving in that department and can handle better much poorer signals. </p>

• Like 1

<p>@Arysyn  When you did those tests, was TMobile still using the 24kbps on the AMR-WB codec?  IIRC TMobile downgraded on the down low the codec to ~12Kbps I think. </p>

<p> </p>

<p>My personal preference, I use a combo of stuff regularly.  It is pretty rare that I run into garbage where it sounds like Im trying to talk to someone using a 20ft 2in PVC pipe and really have to jam that phone speaker into my ear to hear well.  Mostly happens when I talk to someone on Verizon.  Here I just assume it is poor Sprint/Verizon call transfer.  But in terms of quality, I don't really have a preference cause they all good.  Each codec and technology is going to have its own unique sound, so as long as I can hear you.  I just want a reliable connection, which I seem to get less with VoIP.  Older technology can be a lot more forgiving in that department and can handle better much poorer signals. </p>

Hey red_dog,

I've also had some difficulties getting quotes to work using some of the browsers while on S4GRU. I hope Invision Power Board will fix the issue for the site, especially since Robert is paying a lot of money for their hosting S4GRU.

Anyways, I had Sprint in the Spring, then later in the summer last year. I'm not sure what T-Mobile was using for voice quality then, and I'm not sure exactly what they are using now, unless its the same as you mentioned. I find T-Mobile just not sounding very good as compared with Sprint. Then again, Sprint has had many years of excellent voice quality reputation, despite the negatives over the data speeds. I'm not sure why T-Mobile would make the voice quality worse, as I figured this was something meant to get better with the advancements in VoLTE/HD Voice. I've read on Wikipedia there even is an AMR-WB+ codec, which I'm wondering why that isn't being used. It goes up to 48kbit/s, according to the site, which would sound so much better than what you mentioned T-Mobile was using/is using.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extended_Adaptive_Multi-Rate_%E2%80%93_Wideband

• 1 month later...

Interesting. I've found that AT&T/T-Mobile's sound quality is much better than Sprint, and way better than Verizon's. Does AT&T use FR (12.2) or HR (5.9) in your market? What about T-Mobile? I'm assuming that would be WB. Sprint-to-Sprint calls are great, but I feel like that's the same with every carrier. (VZ-VZ), (T-T), (TMO-TMO)