What If: Sprint / BLU partnered for guaranteed Android update timelines

jeffcarp

I'm just curious what other people think of this idea. I've always been frustrated by how long it takes Samsung and LG to update Android versions with the carriers. It seems like there is a great opportunity for Sprint to differentiate themselves by associating with a small handset manufacturer that they had some leverage with and providing a line of flagship phones that had guaranteed Android update timelines. I've always thought Blu would be a great manufacturer to partner with.

I know the Nexus line exists but it would be nice to have another option.

I'm just curious what other people think of this idea. I've always been frustrated by how long it takes Samsung and LG to update Android versions with the carriers. It seems like there is a great opportunity for Sprint to differentiate themselves by associating with a small handset manufacturer that they had some leverage with and providing a line of flagship phones that had guaranteed Android update timelines. I've always thought Blu would be a great manufacturer to partner with.

I like that idea. The only reason current BLU phones dont work on sprint is due to lack of CDMA support and, lack on sprint LTE bands support. Othewise their phones would work.

Blu doesn't even optimize their phones for US LTE bands when they bring them over. They never have ALL bands that each of the US GSM carriers use. I wouldn't trust them for software updates.

I'm not sure you can call them a manufacturer - they're more like importers. They rebrand phones from other markets.

• Like 3

Blu doesn't even optimize their phones for US LTE bands when they bring them over. They never have ALL bands that each of the US GSM carriers use. I wouldn't trust them for software updates.

I'm not sure you can call them a manufacturer - they're more like importers. They rebrand phones from other markets.

I should note that Blu is based in Florida. So they are a rare domestic phone manufacturer.

Plus, Blu seems very low end, which isn't good for Sprint's business plan for more prime customers.

I think a much better option would be for Sprint to work with Sony and bring the Xperia Z5 line to Sprint, perhaps even exclusively. Also, Sprint could work further with Sharp to bring in the higher end Aquos devices.

Plus, Blu seems very low end, which isn't good for Sprint's business plan for more prime customers.

I think a much better option would be for Sprint to work with Sony and bring the Xperia Z5 line to Sprint, perhaps even exclusively. Also, Sprint could work further with Sharp to bring in the higher end Aquos devices.

I like everyone's idea however I must say with SoftBank in Japan I don't know why sharp/Sony don't have exclusive deals with SoftBank/sprint USA

• Like 1

I like everyone's idea however I must say with SoftBank in Japan I don't know why sharp/Sony don't have exclusive deals with SoftBank/sprint USA

If Sprint had Sony and Sharp exclusivity, it would help Sprint win over alot of people who wouldn't, or very unlikely wouldn't try Sprint based on its old, outdated, yet still unfortunately often thought of bad network reputation. This would give Sprint an extra opportunity to prove that reputation as no longer valid, and they'd be doing it directly towards prime, tech-minded customers.

If Sprint, Sony, and Sharp added the idea mentioned here earlier by jeffcarp, about having Android released very timely, then it could be a major benefit for customers on Sprint with these devices, which further go to helping Sprint.

They are not a manufacturer. Their phones are rebranded from Chinese OEMs. 

According to their website, they design the phones themselves and use to have them manufactured in China but since then, moved the manufacturing to Brazil.