T-Mobile, Leap agree to swap AWS spectrum

From FierceWireless

T-Mobile USA and Leap Wireless (NASDAQ:LEAP) agreed to swap AWS spectrum in several markets across the country to boost capacity, which Leap said will help it improve its LTE capacity as it deploys the technology.

tmobile-refarm-small.jpg

Click here for details on T-Mobile refarming plan.

The deals also involve Leap's noncontrolled, majority-owned venture, Savary Island Wireless, as well as T-Mobile's joint venture with Cook Inlet. Financial terms of the deals were not disclosed. The FCC will need to approve the swaps.

Under the swap, Leap will get 10 MHz of additional AWS spectrum in Phoenix, and Houston, Galveston and Bryan-College Station, Texas. Leap and Savary will give T-Mobile spectrum in various markets in Alabama, Illinois, Missouri, Minnesota and Wisconsin. The transactions also include intra-market exchanges among Leap, T-Mobile and Cook Inlet in Philadelphia, Wilmington, Atlantic City and various markets in Texas and New Mexico, and between Leap and Cook Inlet in certain markets in Texas.

Wow! A surprising move. I hope it works out for them.

Why is it so "surprising"?

AJ

I just didn't realize that any carriers were planning anything right now.

Spectrum transactions happen all the time, Josh. But unless you really follow the wireless industry closely, you hear about only the most significant deals.

AJ

Spectrum transactions happen all the time' date=' Josh. But unless you really follow the wireless industry closely, you hear about only the most significant deals.

AJ[/quote']

That must be why I only hear of a few. I'm still learning about spectrum and the underlying components of the telecommunications industry. Up until this site, i've only ever concentrated on the phones themselves. Thanks AJ

Sent from Joshs Evo Shift using Forum Runner

• Like 2

I came to this site to get educated' date=' and every time I think I'm getting comfortable with the terminology/technology, someone goes and ups the bar. I feel like I'm back in a AP class in school.[/quote']

You and me both, and i never took AP classes in high school. :( (I'm smart enough that I should have though) :(

You and me both, and i never took AP classes in high school. :( (I'm smart enough that I should have though) :(

What is this "AP" you speak of?

What is this "AP" you speak of?

Advanced Placement. Classes for the smart people. I was in AP classes in 6th grade, but failed them terribly because I didn't try to apply myself.

Advanced Placement. Classes for the smart people. I was in AP classes in 6th grade, but failed them terribly because I didn't try to apply myself.

I was in advanced math but spent the better part of high school in the industrial tech wing. LOL

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

I was in advanced math but spent the better part of high school in the industrial tech wing. LOL

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Smarty pants!

I was in the gifted class.

AJ

• Like 1

I was "gifted". Worst curse you could wish on someone.

Why is that a curse? I wish I had tried harder when I was younger. Instead I was lazy and almost had to be held back in the 6th grade and my mom begged my new school to place me in 7th. :blush:

Why is that a curse? I wish I had tried harder when I was younger. Instead I was lazy and almost had to be held back in the 6th grade and my mom begged my new school to place me in 7th. :blush:

When everything is so easy in school you get used to being lazy.

Still, I suppose I prefer having smarts over not.

• Like 1

My dad told me "Well son, you tried, and you failed. The lesson is, never try." Oh, wait, that was Homer Simpson. Doh!

• Like 1

When everything is so easy in school you get used to being lazy.

Still, I suppose I prefer having smarts over not.

It wasn't so much everything being easy as it was that I just didn't care too much. I got too bored too easy. My mom almost even had me tested for ADD. The biggest problem with public schools in Nevada is that the books are around 5 years older than they should be, and it just makes everything that much worse. I sure wish I had tried instead. Could have been Valedictorian if I had tried hard enough. Oh well.

My dad told me "Well son, you tried, and you failed. The lesson is, never try." Oh, wait, that was Homer Simpson. Doh!

:rofl:

The biggest problem with public schools in Nevada is that the books are around 5 years older than they should be, and it just makes everything that much worse.

It's not a Nevada thing. Washoe, Douglas, Carson City and Churchill County schools are very good in the North. However, Nye and Clark Counties probably are what you are referring to.

It's not a Nevada thing. Washoe, Douglas, Carson City and Churchill County schools are very good in the North. However, Nye and Clark Counties probably are what you are referring to.

That might be what it is.