Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

Yikes, I'm speechless. Advil doesn't work, so the doctor prescribes percocet...

Antibiotics are another can of worms that we shouldn't open up today  :lol:

You're missing the point completely. It's about learning how to properly diagnose a condition, not impressing the people around you.

Patients tend to think they know more than their doctor because they go on WebMD or read some forums. Clearly, you're doing the same thing. 

I think your views on this matter are out of touch with reality.

If the DEA is able to trace back drugs used in an OD, who (do you think) gets in trouble? It's the MD who loses his license.

Once again, you've drifted another thread off topic. Have a good day.

You're the one bringing in medical issues into this thread. I was merely trying to respond to you by saying that I'm not here trying to impress a medical school or whatever. Besides, the initial discussion was on-topic between myself and a few others here regarding John Legere and Marcelo Claure, not about medical training and whatsoever. My simple explanation of my health issues wasn't to get into a long discussion of medicine anyways, until you decided to bring this stuff up in the discussion where I was simply pointing out where my viewpoint was involving Legere and Claure.

I can't believe you said over blown drug scare. Apparently some haven't seen firsthand how out of control it is.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

It is overblown because it is affecting people in real pain. There are many, many people with severe chronic pain who cannot get a doctor to prescribe what they need, because so many doctors are terrified about being arrested. It would be better if society were to simply accept individual responsibility into what people take, and let those who truly are n pain be treated as such, rather than as potential drug pushers.

Anyways, this is besides the point I initially made with Legere and Claure, which wouldn't have got into this had I not been questioned as though I'm suppose to be taking a medical test on a Sprint/wireless-network enthusiast website.

• Like 1

Anyways, hopefully this will steer this back on-topic, which I'd be surprised to see anyone argue against this. I found a better article regarding Sprint's IoT deployment than the one I posted above a bit ago.

https://www.sdxcentral.com/articles/news/sprint-to-launch-lte-cat-1-iot-network-by-mid-year/2017/05/

I'm curious how pricing is going to be for this, as well other carriers' IoT pricing, and how it could be implemented in current unlimited data plans.

Can admin please consider limiting the # of posts someone can post in one day? One particular user is making this forum very painful to read/be involved in. Should it be allowed to continue?

• Like 9

Can admin please consider limiting the # of posts someone can post in one day? One particular user is making this forum very painful to read/be involved in. Should it be allowed to continue?

You want to have a restriction on posts? There are plenty of members here who post multiple times a day, particularly during busy times when there are many things going on in the industry. Restricting the number of posts would interfere in conversations that often happen on the site.

A recent article about Sprint's open source strategy. I'm not too familiar into the open source stuff, although I've talked with people who pretty much devote their life to this, so perhaps this will be an interest to some here regarding Sprint and open source :

http://www.fiercewireless.com/wireless/sprint-exec-chaos-open-source-indicative-startup-culture-and-s-just-fine

Seems like sprint is expanding the network rapidly at this point, but verizon does not seem to be doing much. Is it likely that sprint will surpass verizon network coverage/reliability wise soon due to their efforts?

Seems like sprint is expanding the network rapidly at this point, but verizon does not seem to be doing much. Is it likely that sprint will surpass verizon network coverage/reliability wise soon due to their efforts?

Are they though? Without the proper investment, they've been playing catch-up to everyone, even T-Mobile.

Sprint just started deploying small cells in NYC. VZW? They've been at it for two years and have already committed to deploying more.

Now they're deploying small cells in suburbs and other less populous communities; places where Sprint won't get around to improving for a few years because they need to work on their urban network first.

IMO, this is Sprint's biggest weakness, suburbs near major cities. Once you get out of Boston proper, Sprint's network starts to thin-out rapidly. Verizon already has small cells and oDAS systems to solve this problem (Chestnut Hill, Brookline, Newton, etc)

Edited by WiseGuy321

Are they though? Without the proper investment, they've been playing catch-up.

Sprint just started deploying small cells in NYC. VZW? They've been at it for two years and have already committed to deploying more.

Now they're deploying small cells in suburbs and other less populous communities; places where Sprint won't get around to improving for a few years because they need to work on their urban network first.

IMO, this is Sprint (and T-Mobile)'s biggest weakness, suburbs near major cities. Once you get out of Boston proper, Sprint's network starts to thin-out quite rapidly. Verizon already has small cells and oDAS systems. (Chestnut Hill, Brookline, Newton, etc)

How much effort is verizon making at the moment?

Are they though? Without the proper investment, they've been playing catch-up to everyone, even T-Mobile.

IMO, this is Sprint's biggest weakness, suburbs near major cities. Once you get out of Boston proper, Sprint's network starts to thin-out rapidly. Verizon already has small cells and oDAS systems to solve this problem (Chestnut Hill, Brookline, Newton, etc)

Sprint has had small cells in NYC for a while now. They have had 200+ before the start of the year.

Uniontown PA <10,000 people and  Norwalk OH <17,000 are big areas? They have a sprint small cell. Sprint small cells are expanding people are just not looking for them out side of Columbus and one person in NYC.

• Like 3

Do you have a link or anything that states that Sprint is expanding coverage. This is a first I've heard of this. All I know is that they are doing is small cells is dense up their existing network within urban areas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They spend multiples of what Sprint spends on CapEx so yeah, it seems like Verizon puts some effort into it. Sprint has been talking about small cells for the past year while Verizon has been deploying them for a few years.

• Like 1

Effort seems pretty subjective, especially when people usually VZW to have a good network in most regions of the US. West Virginia and Texas are two exceptions (AT&T does better in both)

But yes, I would say there is high "effort." I'm seeing new small cells and oDAS nodes go live on a weekly basis in Massachusetts. Even yesterday, I was at my alma mater's graduation ceremony and Verizon was the only working carrier because they have the campus covered with a Crown Castle oDAS system.

Sprint just started talking about small cells. Verizon has 13,000 sites live and has announced plans to add 8-10k to every major city. http://smallcells.3g4g.co.uk/2017/04/verizons-small-cells-and-roadmap-to-5g.html?m=1

Do you have a link or anything that states that Sprint is expanding coverage. This is a first I've heard of this. 

Yeah, I'm wondering the same. We're still waiting for them to overlay their existing EVDO network with LTE.

Edited by WiseGuy321

Do you have a link or anything that states that Sprint is expanding coverage. This is a first I've heard of this. All I know is that they are doing is small cells is dense up their existing network within urban areas.

Deploying small cells is expanding coverage when the macro's cannot even service customers during congestion. That is what I meant, but more importantly, Sprint seems to be closing the gap on verizon very successfully as of recent.

Deploying small cells is expanding coverage when the macro's cannot even service customers during congestion. That is what I meant, but more importantly, Sprint seems to be closing the gap on verizon very successfully as of recent.

Ok. Gotcha! When you said expanding coverage I was under the notion that they are getting/putting up service in areas they currently don't serve and etc.

As good Sprint's band41 is, the spectrum simply isn't deployed enough. Many people here have been very adamant in the need for Sprint to deploy the spectrum in order to really catch up with the other carriers, and even then, its also important for Sprint to densify, which they may do if Sprint doesn't get their merger wish with T-Mobile.

• Like 1

Uniontown PA <10,000 people and  Norwalk OH <17,000 are big areas? They have a sprint small cell. Sprint small cells are expanding people are just not looking for them out side of Columbus and one person in NYC.

That's good to hear, but still not at the same scale as Verizon, who has nearly 13,000 of them up in the US.

We have a large thread over on HoFo with spottings all over rural US (http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php/1893580-Verizon-Small-Cell-oDAS-Thread)

The way that sprint is closing the gap as of recent, they should be number 1 or 2 in every market they service.

Unfortunately, they're not. Looking at every major city and state in the Northeast, Sprint is in last place, tied for last, or in 3rd. I did a comparison in this thread a few pages back.

Remember that Verizon deemed their network VoLTE-ready back in fall 2014 when it went live nationwide. We're still waiting for Sprint to do the same...

Edited by WiseGuy321

The way that sprint is closing the gap as of recent, they should be number 1 or 2 in every market they service.

Only if they can get their band41 spectrum deployed and densify the network. Once that is done, they'll easily be the top rated.

• Like 2

Only if they can get their band41 spectrum deployed and densify the network. Once that is done, they'll easily be the top rated.

No one can compete with sprint once their b41 is dense enough. No other carrier has these many resources once implemented.

• Like 1

No one can compete with sprint once their b41 is dense enough. No other carrier has these many resources once implemented.

I hate to sound like a broken record, but Sprint has been tooting their B41 horn for years.

Instead of wasting money on Tidal, the various Pokemon Go promos, or that Verizon guy, they could've spent it on their network.

I think the issue here is Softbank. They're not focused on Sprint's core product... it's network.

Edited by WiseGuy321
  • Like 6

You're absolutely correct about that. Sprint really is in an excellent position where they really do not need to merge with any other carrier, if only their majority owner, Softbank, would spend on Sprint. Others here, including myself, haven't been happy with Sprint spending on Pokemon and Tidal, which the finances spent on both would have been better spent on network improvements.

Softbank is the bigger problem though, in my opinion, compared with anything I may disagree with about Sprint management itself though. Softbank has spent billions of dollars acquiring other companies, yet they are leaving Sprint with a CapEx much less than Sprint's competitors. It, along with the merger rumors, are holding back Sprint from spending big on itself, which if only Sprint could do, then yes, it would be a major force in wireless. Their band41 spectrum is amazing, and when I had Sprint in areas where it was well deployed, the speeds surpassed the other carriers, particularly during rush hour.

You're absolutely correct about that. Sprint really is in an excellent position where they really do not need to merge with any other carrier, if only their majority owner, Softbank, would spend on Sprint. Others here, including myself, haven't been happy with Sprint spending on Pokemon and Tidal, which the finances spent on both would have been better spent on network improvements.

Softbank is the bigger problem though, in my opinion, compared with anything I may disagree with about Sprint management itself though. Softbank has spent billions of dollars acquiring other companies, yet they are leaving Sprint with a CapEx much less than Sprint's competitors. It, along with the merger rumors, are holding back Sprint from spending big on itself, which if only Sprint could do, then yes, it would be a major force in wireless. Their band41 spectrum is amazing, and when I had Sprint in areas where it was well deployed, the speeds surpassed the other carriers, particularly during rush hour.

Softbank bought the low hanging fruit at the time. I do believe that they should've just went and bought T-Mobile instead from jump since they are who they really want. It would be nice if SB could seed money into Sprint but their hands are tied based on what I've read with SB buying 80% of Sprint. If they did just completely buy Sprint then yes we would see a different Sprint today. Now why do they not want to buy the other 20% of Sprint and make it into this force to be reckoned with they way SB talks about Sprint being in the best position???? Idk.

• Like 2

Softbank bought the low hanging fruit at the time. I do believe that they should've just went and bought T-Mobile instead from jump since they are what they really want. I would be nice if SB could seed money into Sprint but their hands are tied based on what I've read over the time SB has 80% of Sprint. If they did just completely buy Sprint then yes we would see a different Sprint today.

I've read the same opinion from a lot of people online regarding Softbank buying T-Mobile first, and perhaps that would have been best. I think that follows up with the question I made a thread about recently regarding Dish buying Sprint. Dish of course was after Sprint, losing it to Softbank, which afterwards led to rumors of Dish going after T-Mobile. What is going to happen with that now, who knows. However, I'm of the opinion Sprint would have been better of with Dish, or even without Dish, had Dish decided to cancel their attempts at Sprint.

I know others have differing views, and everyone is entitled to them, of course. Mine is still hoping Sprint had stayed managed by Dan Hesse, who would have continued with the deployment and densification strategy. Surely, Sprint would have ended up with a worse money problem from that, but eventually as reviews started showing the huge improvements made, this would have been the ultimate test for Sprint in whether an awesome network experience would bring customers in with their money flowing through Sprint, or if Sprint would still need a rebrand to convince them.

I believe that in the end that way, Sprint would have won this thing.

I've read the same opinion from a lot of people online regarding Softbank buying T-Mobile first, and perhaps that would have been best. I think that follows up with the question I made a thread about recently regarding Dish buying Sprint. Dish of course was after Sprint, losing it to Softbank, which afterwards led to rumors of Dish going after T-Mobile. What is going to happen with that now, who knows. However, I'm of the opinion Sprint would have been better of with Dish, or even without Dish, had Dish decided to cancel their attempts at Sprint.

I know others have differing views, and everyone is entitled to them, of course. Mine is still hoping Sprint had stayed managed by Dan Hesse, who would have continued with the deployment and densification strategy. Surely, Sprint would have ended up with a worse money problem from that, but eventually as reviews started showing the huge improvements made, this would have been the ultimate test for Sprint in whether an awesome network experience would bring customers in with their money flowing through Sprint, or if Sprint would still need a rebrand to convince them.

I believe that in the end that way, Sprint would have won this thing.

I do remember all of that. I do also remember Dan saying that he wanted to throw their 2.5 on every single tower that Sprint had. How that would have looked idk. I would guess in rural areas that would be great and would have gave the big two a run for their money.

• Like 1