Sprint, Dish will start fixed TD-LTE tests within a month

mhammett

http://www.fiercewireless.com/tech/story/sprint-dish-will-start-fixed-td-lte-tests-within-month/2014-08-07?utm_medium=nl&utm_source=internal

A Dish Network (NASDAQ: DISH) executive said the company will begin a trial of fixed wireless broadband service with Sprint (NYSE: S) within a month. Dishlaunched a similar pilot with Sprint wholesale partner nTelos Wireless in Virginia during June and expanded the service availability in July.

• Like 5

http://www.fiercewireless.com/tech/story/sprint-dish-will-start-fixed-td-lte-tests-within-month/2014-08-07?utm_medium=nl&utm_source=internal

A Dish Network (NASDAQ: DISH) executive said the company will begin a trial of fixed wireless broadband service with Sprint (NYSE: S) within a month. Dishlaunched a similar pilot with Sprint wholesale partner nTelos Wireless in Virginia during June and expanded the service availability in July.

onward-contraption-to-glory.gif

• Like 5

I like the fact that they are actually trialling it first to discover the limits of how many customers it can support at what load. It should do really well in the boondocks, I mean rural areas.

• Like 1

I like the fact that they are actually trialling it first to discover the limits of how many customers it can support at what load. It should do really well in the boondocks, I mean rural areas.

#whatsrural #yolocarrier. Oh wait, wrong website. 

• Like 6

Well I like it. Theres really no reason Dish couldnt reach an agreement with sprint similar to the Lightsquared agreement. More money, immediate opportunity to deploy, longterm partnership for expansion and site sharing

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Well I like it. Theres really no reason Dish couldnt reach an agreement with sprint similar to the Lightsquared agreement. More money, immediate opportunity to deploy, longterm partnership for expansion and site sharing

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

And now with Masa, I no longer feel concerned that Sprint will have to make a bad deal with Charlie and get taken for a ride. I know Masa will not make a bad deal out of desperation for cash. If a deal is made with Dish now, it will be good for Sprint.

But I still have a strong dislike and mistrust for Charlie. But business is business.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 12

Very good point.

This is a much more measured approach vs. the old "build like hell" clearwire days not realizing they were way off on their consumption forecast.

Who and where and how?

Ky WiMax. Pings in the ~300ms range and speeds maxing out around 128kb, and god help you if it rains. Calls to complain about the supposed 3mb service are answered with "Nothing wrong on our end. Restart your router." 

Ky WiMax. Pings in the ~300ms range and speeds maxing out around 128kb, and god help you if it rains. Calls to complain about the supposed 3mb service are answered with "Nothing wrong on our end. Restart your router." 

Ah, yes, I should have known that from the Danville, KY part. I've reached out to them to see what they can do for ya.

• Like 3

This is good news (I've been reading about it since I saw it announced last December (http://newsroom.sprint.com/news-releases/sprint-and-dish-to-trial-fixed-wireless-broadband-service.htm), hopefully more information comes soon). I'll definitely try it if it does go nationwide and nothing better shows up before then.

I live in a rural area not far from a Sprint tower and this would be a great way to get decent internet since AT&T doesn't seem to support new DSL connections (and since they won't a lot of the smaller guys in my area won't) - they want to sell you a miniscule mount of GB/month LTE instead. And the only WISP that might reach my house is on the other side of a hill and I can't get a signal from without putting up like a 70ft tower.

I only hope the data cap (assuming there is one) is high enough to be usable (50+ GB/month). I don't even mind if I'm throttled on speed to 5/10 Mb/sec as long as I get plenty of data to use.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Sprint and Dish have launched their fixed broadband service.

Dish Network (NASDAQ: DISH) launched fixed TD-LTE service in Corpus Christi, Texas, using Sprint's (NYSE: S) 2.5 GHz network and spectrum.

dish-sprint.jpg

Dish's fixed wireless service relies on an outdoor router, right, that can work alongside Dish's satellite for TV service, left.

The companies first announced in December 2013 that they would partner on the pilot program in Corpus Christi. Dish had said in early August that it expected the Sprint trial to start within a month. Dish is also engaged in a similar pilot program with Sprint network partner nTelos Wireless using fixed 2.5 GHz TD-LTE service in Virginia. The trials are targeted at unserved and underserved consumers, especially those with slow or no Internet access.

Dish said the Internet service in Corpus Christi will deliver download speeds of 10 Mbps, and is available for $30 per month when bundled with a qualifying package of Dish's satellite TV service, or $40 as standalone service.

http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/dish-launches-fixed-td-lte-service-sprint-corpus-christi-offering-10-mbps-3/2014-09-24?utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=Editor&utm_campaign=SocialMedia

• Like 3

I'm sorry, what new news are they covering? Are they saying it's now out of Pilot testing?

I think they're actually announcing the launch of the pilot test. 

That's weird. Robert has been saying for a few months now that the pilot has been up and running.