I get three pings/beeps when placing a call. I used to think this was an airave connection but recently it has been happening more often and in places that an airave should not be present. Does anybody know what this is?

Never experienced that. You are not roaming right?

Hmmm. I should not be. I frequent what is probably the best geographical area for sprint signals. Next time it happens I will check to make sure.

And chance it is something on your phone?

Don't think so. It does not happen all of the time. It happened twice today and both times I looked at the screen to see if anything was amiss and everything looked fine. No messages no roaming just a strong sprint signal.

sprint airaves can reach up to 500ft

Is that all they can reach? That isn't worth much to me, especially when I count interference with metal wall framing and window tint blocking signals already. :(

as far as i know, but i could be wrong.

I just read on Sprint's Airave support page that it is actually 5,000 ft. Of course, that's give or take due to interference.

i just read the same thing lol, i stand corrected.

The Airave is used as a 'micro-tower' and boosts a signal up to 5,000 square feet from point of origin. It uses your internet to cary voice services to the switching center. When you make a wireless call and connect to a Sprint tower, that signal is taken and run over a dedicated data line to the central offices (a little more is involved, but for basic understanding...) and then passed along to the next provider or PSTN to complete your call. The airave acts the same, just using less bandwidth since it is only connecting up to 3 calls at a time. Each calls requires approximately 40Kbps of upload and download speed per device during a voice call.

source http://community.sprint.com/baw/thread/74317

And I just found out the reason it won't work with satellite broadband is too much jitter and some service providers can't support IPsec. :( So much for my idea since I don't have DSL or cable in my neighborhood.

i usually have 4/5 bars around town (i know bars are bad indicators) but the dBm seems good as well ( around 80). Walmart is bad for a signal as well, except in the break room. Center of walmart, im at 100-110 dBm

WalMart is always bad for everyone due to the large amounts of metal used in the buildings. Where I live, I get 4-max bars in town and anywhere from 0-4 at my house, in house it's 0-2.

I just read on Sprint's Airave support page that it is actually 5' date='000 ft. Of course, that's give or take due to interference.[/quote']

5000 sq ft.... About 70 ft in all directions.

• Like 1

5000 sq ft.... About 70 ft in all directions.

I personally have an Airave and can verify that this is about correct. Depends on the construction type of the home or business, but the figures are about right. Put one in the center of your home and it will cover the entire home unless you have a very big mansion.

• Like 1

I personally have an Airave and can verify that this is about correct. Depends on the construction type of the home or business, but the figures are about right. Put one in the center of your home and it will cover the entire home unless you have a very big mansion.

How accurate is the GPS after it is moved away from the window?

How accurate is the GPS after it is moved away from the window?

I am in a one story home with a drywall type celing with loads of insulation on top of it. Then a standard plywood and shingle roof.

My Airave will sit in the middle of the home and stay locked onto the GPS about 99.99% of the time. It a bad thunderstorm with lots of clouds, it may lose the GPS for a few minutes, but the Airave countinues to work OK. I do not know what happens if the Airave loses GPS for hours. I never experienced that.

No need to confirm. I am always correct.

Except that it is about 40 feet in any direction from the airrave as it would be a big circle radiating from the airrave. Area of a circle is determined by pi times the radius squared. Hence 40*40*3.14=5024 square feet. ;)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk