What Tower Company does Sprint use?

Sprke

I spent some time on the link below and noticed that Sprint don't have any applications in under their name. Does Sprint exclusively use a 3rd party tower company? If so, which one/s? 

https://wireless2.fcc.gov/ASR/service/nationalNoticeReport.faces

I spent some time on the link below and noticed that Sprint don't have any applications in under their name. Does Sprint exclusively use a 3rd party tower company? If so, which one/s? 

https://wireless2.fcc.gov/ASR/service/nationalNoticeReport.faces

Sprint uses all tower companies.  Crown Castle, SBA, American Tower, pretty much all of them.  Whoever owns a site where they need to be, that's who they use.  Sprint doesn't own towers, and leases them from others.

Robert

• Like 2

You do occasionally come across a structure registered in their name.  They used to own some towers, as did Nextel, but most of those that would be useful to others have been sold to leasing companies.

You do occasionally come across a structure registered in their name.  They used to own some towers, as did Nextel, but most of those that would be useful to others have been sold to leasing companies.

Honestly I highly doubt it, If they are on a tower by themselves its a county tower with at least one county antenna or on a water tower, (at least around here).  The big two have more money to have there own towers, or at least that is my understanding whenI have talked to a guy I know really well at Sprint (on the tower technician side). Its not to say you will never find one registered with Sprint, but good luck.... However I have come across a "Sprint/Nextel" one back when they first merged BUT Nextel was First on the tower.  

Sprint/Nextel Corporation WIP licenses will show up on the FCC and it looks as if they own but the tower, but they don't.  Its either SBA Towers, Crown Castle, American Towers, etc that own them and lease the sites to a wireless operator.  I believe Verizon still owns towers but I'm not 100% sure...

Honestly I highly doubt it, If they are on a tower by themselves its a county tower with at least one county antenna or on a water tower, (at least around here).  The big two have more money to have there own towers, or at least that is my understanding whenI have talked to a guy I know really well at Sprint (on the tower technician side). Its not to say you will never find one registered with Sprint, but good luck.... However I have come across a "Sprint/Nextel" one back when they first merged BUT Nextel was First on the tower.  

Primarily a few Nextel sites in remote areas, on which Sprint and Nextel were the only carriers.  As I said, I know they sold off whatever they did own that others would buy a number of years ago.

Sprint sold about 3,300 towers, which I assume was all or most, to Towerco in 2008 for a paltry $670 million.

Several years ago (after 2008) I did see a tower fence with a Nextel sign on it but that may have just been a site that hadn't been remarked by its new owner.

Looks like Sprint sold off 6,500 or so towers back in 2005 when it was trying to acquire Nextel. That sale was for $1.2 billion.  Sprint sold off a second batch of towers in 2008. I presume those were Nextel towers they acquired as part of the merger.  They sold those 3000 towers to American Tower Co. for $670 million. At this point they only towers they may own directly might be former clearwire towers.  I imagine there can't be too many of those. 

2005 sale:

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB110782747596448508

2008 sale

http://newsroom.sprint.com/news-releases/sprint-nextel-completes-tower-sale-to-towerco-for-approximately-670-million-in-cash.htm

Funny reading that 2005 WSJ piece and seeing the references.  Sprint was trying to leap frog the bigger cell companies even back then. 

If memory serves, Sprint sold off the rest of their tower structures to Crown Castle in the last transaction.  Circa 2010 or 2011.  After that, they pretty much only remained in ownership of really bizarre or specialty sites, where they could not really sell the site.  We are talking about dozens of sites, not hundreds or thousands.

Robert

Well that sucks..I was hoping to keep tabs on where sprint may be expanding native coverage. Looks like the big 2 are steadily pecking away at some very rural locations. I'm familiar with some of the new site locations in MT that both ATT and VZW are applying for and there's basically no population to speak of there

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk