Sprint Prepaid and the Moto G

No_name

Starting march 14th Sprint Prepaid is a new plan type. It is not a replacement for Sprint As You Go which is a no contract post paid service where sprint sends a bill. Sprint prepaid will be a program like any other prepaid where you buy a month in advance.

Smart phone plans.

Unlimited everything is $60* throttled to 3g after 2.5 gb

Wifi data unlimited calling/texting $45

Basic plans

Unlimited everything $50

500 min unlimited text and data $35

Phones

Moto g $99

Gs3 $350

Gs4 mini $300

CPO iphone 4s $200

Kyocera Kona coming soon

• Like 2

Will sprint allow any sprint direct connect phones on prepaid like the kyocera duraxt or the kyocera torque?

My understanding is the only devices allowed on Prepaid are devices that have their ESN classified as a Prepaid device. Post paid ESNs will not work on Prepaid just like they wont work on Saygo currently.

Its prepaid there is no roaming.

Sprint as you go had roaming. And ting has roaming.... and thats prepaid.

So is sprint going to keep virgin mobile and boost mobile or is sprint going to make us move to the new plans on sprint prepaid?Is sprint prepaid going to be named sprint freedom as rumored?

All the material says its called Sprint Prepaid.

• Like 2

My understanding is the only devices allowed on Prepaid are devices that have their ESN classified as a Prepaid device. Post paid ESNs will not work on Prepaid just like they wont work on Saygo currently.

Yes, that's the information I say as well. Which kinda seems like a mistake to me, as it ignores the BYOD crowd.

Of course, for BYOD, you have Framily, which is a zero-month-term plan as well. Even with one person alone on Framily, for 3 GB of data (comparable to Sprint Prepaid's 2.5 GB), you're at $65 vs $60, and you can very quickly get that cheaper.

That being said, I know the Moto G and other cheapo devices would sell on Framily/Easy Pay if they brought them over...

Yes, that's the information I say as well. Which kinda seems like a mistake to me, as it ignores the BYOD crowd.

Of course, for BYOD, you have Framily, which is a zero-month-term plan as well. Even with one person alone on Framily, for 3 GB of data (comparable to Sprint Prepaid's 2.5 GB), you're at $65 vs $60, and you can very quickly get that cheaper.

That being said, I know the Moto G and other cheapo devices would sell on Framily/Easy Pay if they brought them over...

Budget conscious people eat up the phones in the $10-14 range. There needs to be more i feel like. The photon q dropping to 250 is a good start hopefully msrp will start to regularly drop now as phones get older.

• Like 1

Budget conscious people eat up the phones in the $10-14 range. There needs to be more i feel like. The photon q dropping to 250 is a good start hopefully msrp will start to regularly drop now as phones get older.

I completely agree. Something like the Moto G (whose cost has to be less than $200; the GPE is $179 (so $0 down and $7.50/month)) would sell like crazy.

It also doesn't help when Saygo/Prepaid devices have a different MSRP than Sprint devices, despite being the same thing. Price-conscious consumers notice these things.

If that does happen though, some system improvements will be in order. Right now, for the Preferred channel, we can't take any cash payment less than $20 for down payments or sales tax. That means when collecting the Sales Tax (which for Michigan is 6%), we can't take a cash payment for it for any phone with an MSRP less than ~$333. If somebody wants a Photon Q, it's $0 down, and $15 on a credit card, please.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry, but this is a joke to me...

Just like the above link states, is everyone forgetting about Virgin Mobile?

$35 a month for 300 minutes of talk and unlimited data (technically) and texting. 

How is this any better, there is even better pricing on phones through Virgin and a bit better selection depending what you're looking for. If they included roaming or something fine... 

This new plan is funny.

A blog about it : http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2014/03/14/sprint-vies-for-worst-deal-ever/

Is part of the new price wars?

Actually what makes me laugh is what is written in this article: Is it any wonder more people don’t love their wireless carrier? Sprint’s new plans do a pretty good job of illustrating the tangled mess that wireless calling plans have become. (“It makes me want to stick a fork in my eye,” a woman from Illinois told us for a story last year.)