Steve Perlman claims to have a new approach to revolutionize wireless networks w pCell/Artemis

TaiKing

Well it's been a year since the pCell original presentation, finally we're getting some activity.

THE WHITEPAPER IS FINALLY HERE: http://www.rearden.com/artemis/An-Introduction-to-pCell-White-Paper-150224.pdf

DISH will Lease Spectrum in San Francisco to Artemis for World’s First pCell Deployment Artemis I Hub Available for pCell Venue and Indoor Trials

pCell compatible with off-the-shelf LTE devices such as iPhone 6, iPad Air 2 and Android devices

San Francisco, CA February 24, 2014 Artemis Networks LLC today announced that DISH, through its wholly-owned subsidiary American H Block Wireless L.L.C., would lease certain H Block mobile spectrum in San Francisco to Artemis for up to two years for the world’s first deployment of pCellTM wireless technology, subject to FCC approval.

pCell is a new approach to wireless that indoor testing has demonstrated delivering full-speed mobile data to every mobile device concurrently, regardless of how many users are sharing the same spectrum, thus achieving greater capacity than conventional LTE. Building on this testing, the first pCell service will be deployed in San Francisco subject to FCC approval.

Rather than avoiding interference like conventional wireless technologies, pCell technology exploits interference, combining interfering radio waves to create an unshared personal cell (a “pCell”) for each LTE device, providing the full wireless capacity to each user at once, even at extremely high user density.

To use the Artemis pCell service in the DISH-leased spectrum band, users will simply insert an Artemis SIM card into an LTE device, for example, an iPhone 6/6 Plus, iPad Air 2 or spectrum-compatible Android device. In the case of new universal SIMs that are just coming on the market, it’s even easier: users will simply choose Artemis as their LTE service on the screen. The device will then connect to

Artemis pCell service as it would to any LTE service, but unlike cellular LTE service, Artemis expects that pCell will deliver consistently high speed throughout the coverage area, even in very high-density scenarios. If the user needs service outside of San Francisco, they will have the option of subscribing to roaming cellular service, which will be provided through an MVNO.

Artemis also announced today the availability of the Artemis I Hub for venue and indoor trials. The Artemis I Hub provides pCell service through 32 distributed antennas, delivering up to 1.5 Gbps in shared spectrum to off-the-shelf LTE devices, with frequency agility from 600 MHz to 6 GHz, enabling pCell operation in any mobile band. Frequency-agile pWaveTM remote radio heads for outdoor use will be available later this year. Artemis Hubs and pWaves enable rapid deployment at a fraction of the installation and operating cost of conventional LTE infrastructure. Artemis Hubs and pWaves are also much simpler to deploy than conventional mobile infrastructure, opening the door for a wide range of partners to deploy Artemis infrastructure, starting initially throughout San Francisco.

We are delighted to introduce pCell to the world with the availability of the Artemis I Hub for trials,” said Steve Perlman, Artemis founder and CEO. “The Artemis I Hub enables partners to test pCell in indoor and venue scenarios using off-the-shelf LTE devices, such as iPhone 6/6 Plus, iPad Air 2 and Android devices.”

Where does it say they're using dish spectrum?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But it's licensed for FDD operation only

If I'm reading the article on Fierce correctly they're just gonna use 1915-1920. It should work in theory, but IDK what the legal issues would be.

Where does it say they're using dish spectrum?

From Fierce:

Artemis Networks, a wireless startup that aims to reshape the wireless landscape through its pCell technology (and a 2014 Fierce 15 winner), is leasing spectrum from Dish Network (NASDAQ: DISH) in San Francisco to demonstrate its technology in a commercial service.

Artemis plans on launching its own service in San Francisco once it receives FCC approval to lease the spectrum, according to Steve Perlman, founder and CEO of Artemis. Artemis will also offer MVNO service via its own SIM cards with one of the Tier 1 U.S. carriers for when users are roaming outside of the Artemis service area in San Francisco.

http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/artemis-leases-dishs-h-block-spectrum-build-live-commercial-pcell-network-s/2015-02-24

Dish's H Block is compatible with the newest iPhones and many other devices, so Artemis would not need to convince Apple (NASDAQ: AAPL) or any carrier to design new, unique equipment for its service.

To use the Artemis pCell service in the Dish-leased spectrum band, users will simply insert an Artemis SIM card into an LTE Band 39 device like an iPhone 6. LTE Band 39 supports TD-LTE service in the 1900 MHz band (including the 1915-1920 MHz portion of the H Block).

Do not count your chickens.  The FCC may not approve TDD operations in the PCS/AWS-2 H block uplink.  Sprint may also challenge this plan, since it would put downlink transmissions directly adjacent to its PCS G block uplink.

AJ

Would be interesting to see who the tier 1 wireless carrier is...

If they get this working wouldn't it drive prices down on auction? Theoretically you don't need as much space, so people don't need huge chunks of spectrum.

Also, if Verizon gets it.. Exclusively for even 5 years it would create serious problems for Tmo/sprint

Would be interesting to see who the tier 1 wireless carrier is...

If they get this working wouldn't it drive prices down on auction? Theoretically you don't need as much space, so people don't need huge chunks of spectrum.

Also, if Verizon gets it.. Exclusively for even 5 years it would create serious problems for Tmo/sprint

It will totally drive prices down at auction because you won't need as much spectrum. Hell, if Sprint wants to sell excess spectrum, this would be the time to do it.

The only gotcha is the opex required in leasing fronthaul, not the capex.

Edited by bigsnake49

It will totally drive prices down at auction because you won't need as much spectrum. Hell, if Sprint wants to sell excess spectrum, this would be the time to do it.

The only gotcha is the opex required in leasing fronthaul, not the capex.

Carriers prefer opex to capex.

If everything is reduced to opex, then capex-rich duo have no advantage over tmo/sprint.

I wonder if they are also working with Sprint on their BRS/EBS spectrum. It would be an easier approval. Heck they might not need approval at all.

Sprint has less incentive to work with Artemis since a lot of their value is tied up in their spectrum.

If Artemis shows that 20MHz spectrum can do the job of 120MHz, Sonny's gamble will have failed and Sprint will turn into the new Tmobile but without a way to differentiate itself: "subscale", without a differentiating asset and abandoned by its parent.

Sprint has less incentive to work with Artemis since a lot of their value is tied up in their spectrum.

If Artemis shows that 20MHz spectrum can do the job of 120MHz, Sonny's gamble will have failed and Sprint will turn into the new Tmobile but without a way to differentiate itself: "subscale", without a differentiating asset and abandoned by its parent.

Or they could use its treasure trove to offer video over wireless to the new generation. True VOD, untethered from your TV. Can you imagine having 120MHz bandwidth all to yourself?

Edited by bigsnake49

Touche

According to Artemis. They achieve 35 times the spectral efficiency of LTE, over 800Mbps in a 20MHz channel. So in a 120MHz you are talking about 4.8Gbps. Quick Sprint, buy all the dark fiber loops you can!

• Like 1

You sure? 1900/800 could definitely use his technology.... They could sell Verizon or dish some 2.5, not spend a ridiculous amount at the 600 auction that might not take place... They could even share 2.5 with verion as a offload for Verizon in exchange for cash and getting panels up to vzw height... Crazy but who knows what could take place

You sure? 1900/800 could definitely use his technology.... They could sell Verizon or dish some 2.5, not spend a ridiculous amount at the 600 auction that might not take place... They could even share 2.5 with verion as a offload for Verizon in exchange for cash and getting panels up to vzw height... Crazy but who knows what could take place

I mis-stated my thought: yes this tech would help sprint but the fact that it greatly increases the efficiency of existing spectrum means that sprint having loads of 2.5ghz is less helpful.

Sure sprint could take 120mhz of 2.5 add pCells and like bigsnake said:

According to Artemis. They achieve 35 times the spectral efficiency of LTE, over 800Mbps in a 20MHz channel. So in a 120MHz you are talking about 4.8Gbps. Quick Sprint, buy all the dark fiber loops you can!

but I doubt sprint'll do it though Not because of technical reasons.

I may have misread the white paper, but it seems like handset location accuracy is critical to making this work.  How much overhead is there to constantly report handset location?

Not much overhead, motion projection, interpolation, and extrapolation work pretty well now.

Plus, in theory, this technology can control the size of the "cell", so a faster moving device could be given a larger cell, possibly one that leads it a bit movement wise.

I still think this part is bullshit, though.  I wouldn't be surprised to see that network come to a crawl when they're proven to be nothing more than integrated small cell base radio/antenna units with highly flexible output power.

I still think this part is bullshit, though.  I wouldn't be surprised to see that network come to a crawl when they're proven to be nothing more than integrated small cell base radio/antenna units with highly flexible output power.

What... a small grid of phones on a table didn't convince you?  :)

I'd like this to work, but it's all in the details.

Not much overhead, motion projection, interpolation, and extrapolation work pretty well now.

Plus, in theory, this technology can control the size of the "cell", so a faster moving device could be given a larger cell, possibly one that leads it a bit movement wise.

So when all the trials complete successfully will you come bcd and eat crow like a man.?