Steve Perlman claims to have a new approach to revolutionize wireless networks w pCell/Artemis

TaiKing

I read in a article that pcell is headed to Kansas city next.... The article stated due to google fiber... Hopefully sprint will work with him to see if its a good match or not.

http://www.wired.com/2015/03/googles-new-wireless-service-will-change-internet/

Now that is interesting, but it is total speculation! Imagine if the cable cos got into this. Fronthaul problem solved, mounting on poles problem solved.

Edited by bigsnake49

• 7 months later...

Looks like Nokia is going to test out this technology. http://recode.net/2015/11/02/artemis-and-nokia-networks-to-begin-testing-new-wireless-technology-in-2016/

Sent from my SM-T237P using Tapatalk

That's really exciting! I also like the fact that Artemis is interested is using this so they can become capacity wholesaler. I wonder who the carrier is? If I had to bet it would be Verizon.

• Like 1

That's really exciting! I also like the fact that Artemis is interested is using this so they can become capacity wholesaler. I wonder who the carrier is? If I had to bet it would be Verizon.

Didn't Verizon commit to 5g already? As if it had a working solution?

I'm a major supporter of this concept. If Artemis, the company behind this goes public, I'm definitely buying stock. I've loved this idea ever since first reading about it here on S4GRU, way before I became a member of this site.

Thanks to the op, TaiKing, for posting about it here back then!

What this does most of all is that it lets the carriers reuse their spectrum. If you only have 5MHz of LTE, while your theoretical max bandwidth will not change, it will allow you to just keep on adding more Artemis remote radio heads and front haul without being interfered with from adjacent sites. What it ultimately means is that spectrum loses a lot of its value since it is no longer scarce, 600MHz notwithstanding.

• Like 1

Maybe Sprint is working with them to test the technology and explains why they have opted out of the 600mhz auction.

What this does most of all is that it lets the carriers reuse their spectrum. If you only have 5MHz of LTE, while your theoretical max bandwidth will not change, it will allow you to just keep on adding more Artemis remote radio heads and front haul without being interfered with from adjacent sites. What it ultimately means is that spectrum loses a lot of its value since it is no longer scarce, 600MHz notwithstanding.

• Like 1

Maybe Sprint is working with them to test the technology and explains why they have opted out of the 600mhz auction.

We know that the first operator is outside the US. We also know that for the time being pCell only works with TDD. So Sprint's spectrum would be a natural fit from the get go.

• Like 2

The TDD restriction is disappointing. As I understand the benefit of this technology is that since it utilizes interference it increase reuse so that the biggest advantages is to increase capacity on low frequency spectrums since they have lower reuse. Is there any low band frequencies structured to do TDD?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

The TDD restriction is disappointing. As I understand the benefit of this technology is that since it utilizes interference it increase reuse so that the biggest advantages is to increase capacity on low frequency spectrums since they have lower reuse. Is there any low band frequencies structured to do TDD?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The TDD restriction maybe temporary rather than a theoretical impossibility. In the Artemis white paper it says"..., currently only TDD LTE is available for release". I interpret that to say that we will address FDD in a future release. 

• Like 1

I hope the issues with FDD get resolved, but at least in the meantime its good to know it'll work with Sprint's TDD spectrum, which since Sprint has alot of TDD spectrum, if Sprint were to use Artemis pcell technology, Sprint would be in a distinct advantage over the other carriers, so long as if it still only worked with TDD spectrum during full implementation and deployment.

Does anyone know if Artemis is actively working with Sprint though, similarly as we know Artemis is working with Nokia?

I hope the issues with FDD get resolved, but at least in the meantime its good to know it'll work with Sprint's TDD spectrum, which since Sprint has alot of TDD spectrum, if Sprint were to use Artemis pcell technology, Sprint would be in a distinct advantage over the other carriers, so long as if it still only worked with TDD spectrum during full implementation and deployment.

Does anyone know if Artemis is actively working with Sprint though, similarly as we know Artemis is working with Nokia?

Sprint has been burned with state of the art technologies so they might be a bit shy. However they trust Nokia and if Nokia is convinced it works then Sprint will work with both of them.

• Like 1

Sprint could be putting all eggs in basket with this. Remember he claims to get better input with barely a signal??

Sprint opting to density instead of buy??? With all the spectrum and this what's the point of buying?? It takes care of capacity issues on 800/1900 when it comes. Essentially turning into 20x20. Then add in b41 with densifying??!!?!!? IF this works sprint sprint b41 would be insane

• Like 2

Sprint has been burned with state of the art technologies so they might be a bit shy. However they trust Nokia and if Nokia is convinced it works then Sprint will work with both of them.

Very true.

I hope the Artemis pcell trials go as well as they claim, because this will be extremely revolutionary. It ought to save unlimited data and allow for people to use data for 4k, then even 8k when it comes to that, without any concern for being charged greatly for that amount of usage.

In my opinion, for 4k to become "affordable" on per gb data plans, the rate will have to be around 10¢ per gb, making the cost of a two hour 4k movie $1.40, based on the 7gb per hour figure I read about online. Or else there will need to be a compression standard to make that amount of data alot less.

Sprint could be putting all eggs in basket with this. Remember he claims to get better input with barely a signal??

Sprint opting to density instead of buy??? With all the spectrum and this what's the point of buying?? It takes care of capacity issues on 800/1900 when it comes. Essentially turning into 20x20. Then add in b41 with densifying??!!?!!? IF this works sprint sprint b41 would be insane

If Sprint secretly is working with Artemis, that being a reason for Sprint being so quiet about NGN, then I completely understand and take back my light criticism of Sprint not discussing about NGN as much as I'd hope, because obviously Sprint needs to be very careful/cautious about such inner workings with Artemis, if that is what is going on here.

I actually really do hope this is the case and that Sprint is building a close knit business relationship with Artemis. If this works out very well, then this will make Sprint beyond amazing.

• Like 1

If Sprint secretly is working with Artemis, that being a reason for Sprint being so quiet about NGN, then I completely understand and take back my light criticism of Sprint not discussing about NGN as much as I'd hope, because obviously Sprint needs to be very careful/cautious about such inner workings with Artemis, if that is what is going on here.

I actually really do hope this is the case and that Sprint is building a close knit business relationship with Artemis. If this works out very well, then this will make Sprint beyond amazing.

As much as we want to know what sprint is doing. It's best they don't. Why not secretly keep moving and let the work speak for itself? Tell us and our expectations are for next week. Keep us in the dark and it's like merry xmas when we get it.

That said I would love to seem some of these small cells that have been actually been deployed

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

According the the email I got from Artemis Networks. It does seem they are planning on deploying with a U.S. carrier in 2016 for testing. Then the fact it is only works for TDD LTE right now just makes it sound like it is Sprint! I hope this this is what going to help with deployment. =D

http://spectrum.ieee.org/view-from-the-valley/telecom/wireless/nokia-deal-legitimizes-artemis-pcell-technology

• Like 6

According the the email I got from Artemis Networks. It does seem they are planning on deploying with a U.S. carrier in 2016 for testing. Then the fact it is only works for TDD LTE right now just makes it sound like it is Sprint! I hope this this is what going to help with deployment. =D

http://spectrum.ieee.org/view-from-the-valley/telecom/wireless/nokia-deal-legitimizes-artemis-pcell-technology

Could you post a shot of the email?

• 1 year later...

Artemis Networks continues to test with Dish while Dish is showing off Artemis wares in their CES booth.

Artemis also announced the PWave Mini which can be cable stand mounted and is pretty small at 15mm.

http://www.fiercewireless.com/tech/dish-exploring-5g-options-including-artemis-pcell-technology

• Like 2