swapping phones.... via the Sprint site

Johnner1999

The option to activate a "new" device on the Sprint site is pretty cool... but with the LTE models how easy is it to swap phones at will?   do you follow the same process and swap sim cards or keep the sims in the respective device?  

The option to activate a "new" device on the Sprint site is pretty cool... but with the LTE models how easy is it to swap phones at will?   do you follow the same process and swap sim cards or keep the sims in the respective device?  

Yes, but in my experience over the past week trying to activate even a Kyocera Torque(takes 3ff USIM) it kept failing and you must use chat to activate.

They made some changes.  Now I can activate any of the past devices on my account just by clicking on them.  No longer need to find the MEID except for the first time.  Pretty cool.

Robert

• Like 5

They made some changes.  Now I can activate any of the past devices on my account just by clicking on them.  No longer need to find the MEID except for the first time.  Pretty cool.

Robert

They have? They keep wanting me to contact chat.

They have? They keep wanting me to contact chat.

It only shows my devices that I own that are not currently active on any line.  The active ones will not appear.  I have to do them manually to switch to another account.

Robert

That is better than swapping SIMs.  The SIM card concept is overrated; it is GSMA propaganda.  I still do not have a SIM for my Nexus 5.  Even T-Mobile stores do not want to give or sell me a SIM -- unless I sign up for one of their preferred plans that will pay a commission.

AJ

• Like 3

Robert

No one else is having the problem where it directs you chat or go to a store? Get the same thing when swapping a sim as well.

I have an LG Viper and iphone5.  Every time I switch between them, the voice mail system resets.  I lose all of my voicemails each time I do the switch.

Had AT&T for 7 years and could switch my handset anytime I wanted by swapping the SIM.  Never once lost a voicemail.

thanks all...

thinking about getting a iPhone 5c via One Up and buy a Nexus 5 via Google (as I like both platforms) but was worried about swapping since they use different size sims. 

The size discrepancy between the micro and nano SIMs is irrelevant.  Even if you cut down one SIM or use the appropriate adaptor with the other, Sprint does not presently support SIM swapping.  It might work between iPhone 5S/C models but not between/among any others.

In short, for at least the time being, leave the SIM card seated in each device and swap by calling, via chat, or online.

AJ

I believe that only data would work if you swap the SIM as I swap the SIM on my N5 that doesn't connect to LTE, put it on my modified Note 2. 4G worked great

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

I have an LG Viper and iphone5. Every time I switch between them, the voice mail system resets. I lose all of my voicemails each time I do the switch.

Had AT&T for 7 years and could switch my handset anytime I wanted by swapping the SIM. Never once lost a voicemail.

When I switched my phone number to South Dakota on AT&T I lost my voice mails (they did warn me though). But I didn't when I change numbers on Sprint or Verizon. So network is perfect.

Also, you don't lose voicemails ever on Sprint when changing a device if you use Google Voice integration.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

I believe that only data would work if you swap the SIM as I swap the SIM on my N5 that doesn't connect to LTE, put it on my modified Note 2. 4G worked great

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

So far, I have not been able to get Sprint LTE or anything to work with a Sprint SIM swap without changing it online too. The SIM ICCID appears to be locked only to the corresponding device MEID listed to it on your account.

The only thing the SIM system is swapping out of providers, I haven't found it to be useful swapping swapping from plan to plan inside 3GPP carriers. Even on VZW which is mostly CSIM these days, they would rather you swap devices through the web portal. That's actually a lot quicker than taking the old SIM out and fumbling the new one around.

• Like 1

So far, I have not been able to get Sprint LTE or anything to work with a Sprint SIM swap without changing it online too. The SIM ICCID appears to be locked only to the corresponding device MEID listed to it on your account.

You are correct that Sims are tied to meid. When we activate a new phone or reactivate a device all we scan is the ESN/MEID and it knows the corresponding SIM card automatically in the system. If you changed Sims we can manually change the SIM in your account.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

That is better than swapping SIMs.  The SIM card concept is overrated; it is GSMA propaganda.  I still do not have a SIM for my Nexus 5.  Even T-Mobile stores do not want to give or sell me a SIM -- unless I sign up for one of their preferred plans that will pay a commission.

AJ

tmobile has been giving out free sims with free shipping all week. I ordered two for spares when I got the N5.

The Galaxy Note 2 that I transfer the SIM to, is not connected to Sprint since I only use it on my trips to Mexico with a local SIM. It will connect to LTE, I'll do a video next time to show you, as of now I deactivate the N5 since my LTE doesn't work here in the bay (SF) I'm using my other Note 2 at the moment.