Airave woes (with GS3 x 2)

jonathanm1978

I have just chatted with tier 1 customer support on Sprint.com....and I'm guessing they don't take much time to look at an account before saying "you don't live in a coverage area, so an airave won't work for you..."

well, let me quote what she told me about it....:

I think she was going to suggest that I terminate my account with Sprint..I dunno. I kinda felt the conversation leaning in that direction and headed her off before she got into that...not interested in moving from what I enjoy to having myself ripped off every month by VZW...which gets great LTE at my house. I'm not about limits or data caps and not even going to try and go down that road...but if I were in that category, to try and get out of contract...I think that would've been my opportunity.

At any rate....does anyone here know of GS3 and AIrave 2.0 connection problems on 3G?

I've been seeing it for a while now, figured maybe it would fix itself once I moved the Airave back to the location it's always been in...but to no avail. I normally use Wifi...so having 3G isn't such an issue that I really want to put much time into it...but I think I saw where people were having issue with the Airave 2.0 and the GS3 a while back...I'm just not sure. At any rate, they want me to contact Airave support...which I guess would mean troubleshooting and possibly swapping out for the 2.5 version...

I just got this one back about November 7 of last year...and it wasn't long after that i saw the problem with 3G on the Galaxy S3.

I just checked my daughter's iPhone 4S and it doesn't get 3G either when I turn off wifi.

However..if I go to make a phone call...I get the normal 3 beeps...coverage is great....I just don't have the data side...

Can't be my internet...I have - not one -- but TWO DSL lines in my home...because AT&T {insert adjectives I prefer not to use} and I can't get Uverse or anything else...so I'm stuck with DSL at 6mbps down, .5mbps up...at any rate, I have Vonage on DSL1, and Airave on DSL2....and not much else pulling at the same time from the DSL2 line unless I'm gaming with my PS3.

I don't understand this issue...or what could be causing it.

Hard reset on Airave has been done...unplugged for several days....nothing has helped. Once in a blue moon I might get 3G on my wife's..and not my Gs3...or it may work on my daughters iPhone...but I don't think everything is kosher in the hardware...maybe it's a radio issue?? Anyone got any clues?

Please do not start a new Airave thread.  Use an existing one.  We are already overstocked with them.

AJ

• Like 1

I searched "Airave" and only saw 3...one in the sponsor area, one that said it was [answered] and one asking how an airave worked.

Really?

sm90rm.png

And this is not even the entire lot of them...

AJ

They just told me on the phone that there's nothing they can do about it... it appears that 3G can work fine with the 2.0 version hardware, but on the 2.5 version, it's the area I live in and it can't be fixed... Doesn't make sense to me, but what do I know.

Can we just create an airave section under dervices?

I actually looked for that before posting because it really doesn't fit well in general topics/everything else.  I been on forums for 10+ years, but all the forums I frequented used either vBulletin or phpBB...never dealt with IPboard before this site...usually when you click on New Content (or new posts, posts since last visit, etc), you get a list of topics...this board shows each individual post if it's new, could all be in the same topic, or 15 new posts in one topic, then 8 posts in another topic...

Unless I know specifically where to go to look for something, I lose track of things if I forget to subscribe to them. Just different coding on this board than i'm used to seeing...and the search thing..I have no idea how you got search to bring those up...was it an advanced search? Because apparently my search that I did brought up every thread that had the word "airave" in it. I looked through the first 25 or so topics and only saw the 3 I mentioned.

Just use WiFi, much better and skips the middle man.

Exactly...this is the reason I've been seeing this problem since before June but haven't really gotten serious about fixing it...I don't always pay attention to voice though, and sometimes, the airave is all green, and I get no beeps on voice...so I roam when I shouldn't be.

Discussing with a different Airave support person now, she's submitting a network ticket on it so they can see what's causing it to be working fine, and still kick me onto roaming with the voice side....

I don't always notice when it does this either, so I can't say how frequent, or infrequent the drops to roaming signal are. I know after the last Airave tech told me to turn off my phones so he could push an update...and I hung up with him..when I turned them both back on (my GS3, and my iPhone)....the both showed roaming voice...but the airave was solid green on all lights.

I think that's gonna be a hardware issue.

Can we just create an airave section under dervices?

No, we need to create one thread entitled "Mah Airwave don't work" because that would cover 90 percent of the content in the countless Airave threads.

AJ

• Like 2

No, we need to create one thread entitled "Mah Airwave don't work" because that would cover 90 percent of the content in the countless Airave threads.

AJ

But you will still need a section on airaves that is easy to find so people can find that thread so they don't create another one....

:lol:

AJ

True, but I will say that the Airvana is one of the flakiest devices I have ever used.  Multiple airvana units, used in multiple internet setups and households.  There is always some kind of quirkiness associated with them in my experience using the devices over the past several years.

It's just odd ...never seen anyone report what I've seen my Airave doing since...June or so..

Its not a new problem...but since we don't use 200-300 minutes a month from our 1500, and use Wifi at home...I thought maybe someone would have some technical insight as to why....

Why: GS3, mine...GS3 my wife...Iphone 4S my daughter, and Galaxy Victory 4G, my sis-in-law who also is staying here....(my wife's family had to move in for a while back in July)

My mom-in-law also has a GS3...but it's not on my account...she got her own Sprint account.

Now, the Airave only handles so many simultaneous voice + data connections at one time...I realize that...

But I can have 2 devices, side by side...and one of them be roaming..the other will be on Native voice coverage. data....well it never goes to 3G no matter what's going on with voice...

For example..the tech refreshed the airave on my account this morning from her end...told me to power down my phones (both the GS3 and iphone 4S that I have with me right now)...

upon turning them back on, the iphone and Gs3 both went to roaming voice. The iphone reverted to native Sprint voice coverage with 1X data...and got the beeps on making a call to VM.

GS3...when I turned it back on, stayed on roaming, and got no beeps when I made a call.

At any given time, one, two, or multiple devices will suddenly go from native to roaming..and the lights on the Airave never change...always green.

And it's in the same spot it's been in for years, and worked fine in that spot ...

Extended the coverage area via tier 2 support so it should be around 8000sq ft of signal...I'm sitting in the next room when the above scenario took place with the iphone and GS3.

So I'm at a loss...I don't always pay attention if I'm roaming when I answer a call...and usually can't tell if it beeps when someone calls me...I only notice it when I make calls...

I don't want to get the letter in the mail saying I'm roaming too much..because I have no clue how often it does this...and I normally look over my sprint account about once every 2-3 months....as far as usage and such goes.

Are you running one of Digi's PRLs on both?

EDIT: I see you're referring to just 3G service and your Airave Voice is working fine. As said many times before the Airvana 2.5 at times has 3G issues. If you're home. I see no point in not using WiFi. Trust me, I wish mine was working too, but I gave up and just deal with Voice Only, which truly is the only need for having it.

Are you running one of Digi's PRLs on both?

EDIT: I see you're referring to just 3G service and your Airave Voice is working fine. As said many times before the Airvana 2.5 at times has 3G issues. If you're home. I see no point in not using WiFi. Trust me, I wish mine was working too, but I gave up and just deal with Voice Only, which truly is the only need for having it.

Read the last post I made again...voice and data both give me problems. I can have S3 #1 native full bars..., getting 3 beeps on phone calls, and S3 #2 roaming with 2 bars from the VZW tower up the road..and they can be sitting side by side.

And iPhone 4S working fine on native Sprint with full bars too.

I don't remember the last time I saw a 3G signal on my phones...but the voice roaming issue, that's a problem.  Could be a huge one if all my phones roam (4 lines) and we don't catch it...we know about the beeps before sending a call...but it's not so easy on receiving a call...unless you take time to stare at it....and I keep my vonage forwarded to my cell all the time...after 2 rings, the call goes to my cell phone.

(edit)

I did have and still have the PRL on my GS3...but for some reason, this problem causes it to keep refreshing it's profile when it finally hits native..I don't always roam on my GS3...and I noticed when I finally get on the Airave, it'll usually do a PRL/Profile update from time to time without prompting it to do so.

Edited by jonathanm1978

Read the last post I made again...voice and data both give me problems. I can have S3 #1 native full bars..., getting 3 beeps on phone calls, and S3 #2 roaming with 2 bars from the VZW tower up the road..and they can be sitting side by side.

And iPhone 4S working fine on native Sprint with full bars too.

I don't remember the last time I saw a 3G signal on my phones...but the voice roaming issue, that's a problem.  Could be a huge one if all my phones roam (4 lines) and we don't catch it...we know about the beeps before sending a call...but it's not so easy on receiving a call...unless you take time to stare at it....and I keep my vonage forwarded to my cell all the time...after 2 rings, the call goes to my cell phone.

(edit)

I did have and still have the PRL on my GS3...but for some reason, this problem causes it to keep refreshing it's profile when it finally hits native..I don't always roam on my GS3...and I noticed when I finally get on the Airave, it'll usually do a PRL/Profile update from time to time without prompting it to do so.

Depending on what digi PRL you have on your phone, the Airave will truly kick it's butt. If you haven't already, I'd recommend running complete stock PRLs and see if that fixes your issues.

That's what I'm saying...the PRL I got from Digi won't stick..so I quit using it back in like, August. it only worked when I was away from home, and I would have to PRL write while away....soon as I came home, the Airave prolbem would force it to PRL update / profile refresh and the PRL would revert back to stock. I finally just got tired of trying to remember to PRL write when I left home, and quit using it. It's still technically on the phone, but it's not in use.

Another weird problem...my GS3, my wife's GS3, daughters iPhone and the Galaxy Victory all get weird timestamps on text msgs...

That's been happening for months too. I don't run those weird msging apps on any device either...we're all running stock messaging for text...and still, we get texts at 4:12pm and the timestamp is for 10:12pm...just totally off.  My sister in law isn't home right now, but I am. she sent me a text at 4:12pm...and it shows she sent it at 10:12pm tonight.

But I sent one back..normal time 4:22p...her reponse after that was normal time too...4:29p. And I noticed during that time, my GS3 was hopping between roaming and native. All the while, the Airave is all green, and beeping on phone calls.

I have just chatted with tier 1 customer support on Sprint.com....and I'm guessing they don't take much time to look at an account before saying "you don't live in a coverage area, so an airave won't work for you..."

well, let me quote what she told me about it....:

attachicon.giftechsupport.PNG

I think she was going to suggest that I terminate my account with Sprint..I dunno. I kinda felt the conversation leaning in that direction and headed her off before she got into that...not interested in moving from what I enjoy to having myself ripped off every month by VZW...which gets great LTE at my house. I'm not about limits or data caps and not even going to try and go down that road...but if I were in that category, to try and get out of contract...I think that would've been my opportunity.

At any rate....does anyone here know of GS3 and AIrave 2.0 connection problems on 3G?

I've been seeing it for a while now, figured maybe it would fix itself once I moved the Airave back to the location it's always been in...but to no avail. I normally use Wifi...so having 3G isn't such an issue that I really want to put much time into it...but I think I saw where people were having issue with the Airave 2.0 and the GS3 a while back...I'm just not sure. At any rate, they want me to contact Airave support...which I guess would mean troubleshooting and possibly swapping out for the 2.5 version...

I just got this one back about November 7 of last year...and it wasn't long after that i saw the problem with 3G on the Galaxy S3.

I just checked my daughter's iPhone 4S and it doesn't get 3G either when I turn off wifi.

However..if I go to make a phone call...I get the normal 3 beeps...coverage is great....I just don't have the data side...

Can't be my internet...I have - not one -- but TWO DSL lines in my home...because AT&T {insert adjectives I prefer not to use} and I can't get Uverse or anything else...so I'm stuck with DSL at 6mbps down, .5mbps up...at any rate, I have Vonage on DSL1, and Airave on DSL2....and not much else pulling at the same time from the DSL2 line unless I'm gaming with my PS3.

I don't understand this issue...or what could be causing it.

Hard reset on Airave has been done...unplugged for several days....nothing has helped. Once in a blue moon I might get 3G on my wife's..and not my Gs3...or it may work on my daughters iPhone...but I don't think everything is kosher in the hardware...maybe it's a radio issue?? Anyone got any clues?

turn off 4g AND now you also turn off roaming..both cellular AND data.  Call up sprint and ask them to put the airave in it's lowest power setting in terms of the radio.  Try again.

also make sure you are talking to airave support not regular tech support.  They are truly two different things and having one work on the other is a disaster waiting to happen.  The airave tech support number is 1-866-556-7310.  if you don't have one get a gmail account and then use google voice to call them up..that's what i do..it works great.  The airave are finicky...sometimes unstable devices.  I have a 2.5 plus and it's got it's own weirdness going on.  If you truly cannot get 3g to work ask for a replacement..make sure you return the old one or get hit with 150 bucks.

The ticket I opened is in day 2...but I need the radio to stay where it is...I had to call them to request a ticket to extend the range to 8000 sq ft...if they turn it down, the signal cuts out in my bedroom. But it's not just data I'm having problems with....in fact....it's not really that important to have 3G data working. I just want the thing to stop dropping me on the voice side...because I have 4 phones that roam randomly at home...at any given time....and I don't want that to happen too much without me noticing.

Here's an example....iPhone 4S on Sprint voice (5 bars)..but 1X data...and my GS3, on wifi and roaming sitting beside it.

No airplane mode, Airave is all green and lights are fine...this happens randomly. Right after this, the Gs3 jumped on the Airave without me doing anything...and showed 5 bars.

(the roaming signal is legit because of the VZW tower up the road about a mile...I made a call to make sure it wasn't a "ghost" signal...the call to VM went through fine...and then I put it down and took this picture).

2whh8b8.jpg