Will iPhone improve my signal?

I have the Samsung Galaxy S2 and it's a problematic phone including a pretty bad reception issue. I'm getting the iPhone when I have the chance but I'm wondering how much better the reception will be? I'm Salt Lake where 4G hasn't come yet and I was going to switch to Verizon for a better signal but I have a feeling the iPhone will be better on Sprint and if it is I can wait until 4G comes. 

Your thoughts?

I have the Samsung Galaxy S2 and it's a problematic phone including a pretty bad reception issue. I'm getting the iPhone when I have the chance but I'm wondering how much better the reception will be? I'm Salt Lake where 4G hasn't come yet and I was going to switch to Verizon for a better signal but I have a feeling the iPhone will be better on Sprint and if it is I can wait until 4G comes. 

Your thoughts?

My personal opinion is No, You have wimax 4G in North Utah.  Wimax towns are the first to receive TD-LTE from Sprint, Premier sponsors have access to very detailed maps if you decide to investigate further. The iPhone 5S is a dual band LTE phone on Sprint,band 25 and 26; as such i say avoid it like the plague.  You are already an android user, I would look into upgrading to a Tri-Band device to fully take advantage of the new network. As for reception issues I as well had the S2 a few years back, and experienced drop calls in places that only the galaxy nexus could replicate.  

-Will

• Like 1

im gonna have to agree. i would say go with the G2 or maybe the nexus 5 so that you will have better LTE coverage in utah then you would with an iphone, only because triband phones will support TD-LTE where the iphone will not.and too my understanding TD-LTE may be live already in utah (however i cannot confirm this).

Good to know. I think I'm just stuck to the thought that the iPhone is the best phone. It's good but I want the best signal possible and if that's not the iPhone then so be it. I'm fine with sticking to Android. 

im in the same boat! i was going to go with the 5S but just because it doesnt support TD-LTE i decided to hold off on a new iphone. so i might either go with a triband phone or just wait it out with my iphone till the 6 comes out, which HOPEFULLY will support band 41 :tu:

Edited by illest_ios

Your thoughts?

The newest iPhones have both 800 & 1900 on LTE, so when it does come around there you'll have 2 of the 3 LTE bands that Sprint uses.  As Mobilesolutions alluded to, the latest iPhones don't use LTE 2500, which is what those Wimax towers there use now.  It will probably be an improvement on your current phone, but not as good as a tri-band phone. I have an iPhone that only has 1 LTE band and do fine, but to each his own.

No idea on how long the 4G rollout to SLC will be though, so that's up to you whether to stick with Sprint or go to Verizon though.

• Like 1

hands down verizon will have better coverage here in SLC, BUT if you decided to wait im pretty sure sprint will be pretty damn good once we have LTE (in general) and 1x800/LTE 800 rolled out! im waiting it out as i have thought many times to drop sprint. but i get a great deal for service and no data caps so im going to wait it out :)

If I lived in a market with TD-LTE and they only had pink phones with flashing blue diamonds on them that supported TD-LTE you can bet I wouldn't hesitate to get the pink phone!

I will say it.. Anyone even thinking about a non TD-LTE phone in a TD-LTE market needs to have their brain checked and then delete their user IDs at any tech based websites and just stick to posting videos of your cats on the Internet.

• Like 11

If I lived in a market with TD-LTE and they only had pink phones with flashing blue diamonds on them that supported TD-LTE you can bet I wouldn't hesitate to get the pink phone!

I will say it.. Anyone even thinking about a non TD-LTE phone in a TD-LTE market needs to have their brain checked and then delete their user IDs at any tech based websites and just stick to posting videos of your cats on the Internet.

+1.. haha this is funny shit because its true :lol:  :rofl:

I LOL'd IRL.

Your thoughts?

I respectfully disagree with just about everybody else here.

First, do you use Wimax on your S2? If the answer is "yes", then I will respectfully agree with everyone else, and will take back what I just typed: Wait for a tri-band Android, so you will get the vastly superior (but somewhat fragile -- my Zing has a hell of a time locking on to it) 2500/2600 LTE that Sprint is in the process of deploying, as well as building-busting 800 LTE.

But, if your answer is "no", and especially if you really want an iPhone, then either the 5s or 5c will work well for you, especially when Sprint deploys 800 LTE.  Much better than your S2.  I choke on those words, because I am a rabid Android bigot (I currently have 4 GS3's on my plan).  But I also have an iPhone 5c -- well I don't have it, my wife does.  It is a good phone for those who don't enjoy the infinite flexibility of Android, and it gets good voice/text coverage (far better than her old 4s), and it picks up 1900 LTE very well.  No verdict on 800 LTE yet, obviously.  Sadly, it will never get 2500/2600 anything.

I will now retreat into the back corner of my basement and hide, to avoid the hostility and invective about to be heaped on my innocent self. :angel:

• Like 6

The problem is that the iPhone had its specs finalized before the Clear/Dish fiasco. If you want to blame someone for that fiasco, blame Charlie Ergen for fighting the whole deal when it could have been approved and sealed early enough for TD-LTE to make it onto devices like the Note 3 and the 5C/5S. 

China is getting an updated model with TD-LTE when China Mobile finally approves the iPhone and its 4G TD-LTE licenses. I don't think it's completely unfeasible a new model with these bands could get released.

CDMA BC 0,1,10 (supports EV-DO on bands 0 and 1 and 1X on bands 0,1, and 10)

GSM 850/900/1800/1900

UMTS bands 1,2,4,5,8

LTE bands 1,2,3,5,7,8,9,20,25,26,38,39,40,41

TD-SCDMA bands 34,39 (those are China Mobile's 3G).

Scale wouldn't be an issue as China Mobile, SoftBank, and Sprint could share that model. China Mobile, SoftBank, and Sprint combine for over 800 million customers. 

• Like 1

The problem is that the iPhone had its specs finalized before the Clear/Dish fiasco. If you want to blame someone for that fiasco, blame Charlie Ergen for fighting the whole deal when it could have been approved and sealed early enough for TD-LTE to make it onto devices like the Note 3 and the 5C/5S. 

China is getting an updated model with TD-LTE when China Mobile finally approves the iPhone and its 4G TD-LTE licenses. I don't think it's completely unfeasible a new model with these bands could get released.

CDMA BC 0,1,10 (supports EV-DO on bands 0 and 1 and 1X on bands 0,1, and 10)

GSM 850/900/1800/1900

UMTS bands 1,2,4,5,8

LTE bands 1,2,3,5,7,8,9,20,25,26,38,39,40,41

TD-SCDMA bands 34,39 (those are China Mobile's 3G).

Scale wouldn't be an issue as China Mobile, SoftBank, and Sprint could share that model. China Mobile, SoftBank, and Sprint combine for over 800 million customers. 

so leme ask you this, do you see apple releasing sprint TD-LTE supported iphone 5s/5c?

so leme ask you this, do you see apple releasing sprint TD-LTE supported iphone 5s/5c?

I don't have that sort of crystal vision into the future. 

I was actually betting that Apple would find synergies with China Mobile, SoftBank, and Sprint before the 5S was released. 

• Like 1

I don't have that sort of crystal vision into the future. 

I was actually betting that Apple would find synergies with China Mobile, SoftBank, and Sprint before the 5S was released. 

LOL. well thanks for the insight on that!

If I lived in a market with TD-LTE and they only had pink phones with flashing blue diamonds on them that supported TD-LTE you can bet I wouldn't hesitate to get the pink phone!I will say it.. Anyone even thinking about a non TD-LTE phone in a TD-LTE market needs to have their brain checked and then delete their user IDs at any tech based websites and just stick to posting videos of your cats on the Internet.

Ask and you shall receive...

• Like 1

I'm not sure if I have WiMax on my phone. Whatever it uses, sucks. After having two people on this website tell me to consider other phones over the iPhone 5s and look at the bands, I checked into it. What I've found is the LG G2 will probably be awesome as will the HTC One Max. I'd consider the Google Nexus 5 also because it would get Android updates immediately.

I did find something confusing. I keep saying both 2500 and 2600 bands all over. Sprint says one thing and a bunch of those phones say another. Are they one in the same? 

This website with its forums are mind blowing. 

I did find something confusing. I keep saying both 2500 and 2600 bands all over. Sprint says one thing and a bunch of those phones say another. Are they one in the same? 

Yes, they are the same thing.

It's really all about what markets you'll be using your phone in, as said above. 

For me, I'm on an "every two octobers" upgrade cycle. I just used my 2 year upgrade on a 5S. In two years from now, TD-LTE will probably JUST be getting turned on in my home area, or it will have been around for a few months already. I'm not missing out on much. 

800Mhz LTE is really what's going to make Sprint's LTE coverage great. The fact that the 5S supports this band makes it a no brainer, since I'm assuming it'll be flipped on here in about a year.. hopefully even Summer '14. 

TD-LTE won't have the coverage or penetration of 800 or 1900Mhz, so keep that in mind if you primarily use your cellular connection indoors. If so, you probably won't even notice it if you had a Tri-Band phone. 

• Like 1