Newbie Questions from Dsm

DsmIowaGuy

Hello, 

I'm pretty new to this group and learning lots. However I'm still needing to have someone hold my hand through a couple topics.

Explain exactly what GMO means and what accepted means. I see this quite often in these forums and even with the context I have't quite gotten understanding down.

Also people put links in the forum with the tower name/id that pull up a Google map showing the location of the tower. Is there instructions somewhere on how to do this so when I refer to a tower I can add this link if I know the tower name/id ?

Thanks a lot !!

Dave

Explain exactly what GMO means and what accepted means. I see this quite often in these forums and even with the context I have't quite gotten understanding down.

Link to the Wall posting on GMO's

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/blog/1/entry-340-sprint-deploys-special-ground-mount-option-network-vision-sites-in-some-low-capacity-and-high-engineering-locations/

Also people put links in the forum with the tower name/id that pull up a Google map showing the location of the tower. Is there instructions somewhere on how to do this so when I refer to a tower I can add this link if I know the tower name/id ?

Thanks a lot !!

Dave

That's the sponsor information. You'll find the maps with all those sites locations in the sponsor section of the forums. 

Hello, 

I'm pretty new to this group and learning lots. However I'm still needing to have someone hold my hand through a couple topics.

Thanks a lot !!

Dave

hello and welcome :) i'll do my best to answer your questions.

GMO - stands for ground mount option. robert did an article on them here that would be worth reading if you haven't already. Basically GMO sites are low capacity/priority sites that sprint has decided to install new base cabinets and mount the RRUs at ground level and is NOT replacing the antenna/panel up top at this point in time. once new backhaul gets installed the 3G speeds will improve, and if the legacy panels support it, LTE will be turned on. they will not have voice or LTE on 800 though since the panels didn't get replaced. at some point in the future they will go back and convert GMO sites to full build sites if they are able to.

Accepted - this means that sprint has accepted/signed off on and paid the contractor for whatever work was accepted. So if a tower shows up as "4G accepted" that means the hardware is installed sprint has sent out an inspector and they have said "yep everything is how it should be" and so they sign off on it and sprint pays the contractor for the 4G portion of the work. accepted does not mean that you can utilize whatever was accepted though, sometimes other factors cause issues. so just because a tower is 4G accepted, doesn't mean you will be able to connect to 4G from it right away. my signature also has some other useful tidbits from robert on this subject.

links to towers - when you do this, just make sure you are only doing it in the sponsors area as this info isn't allowed in the non-sponsors area. Basically you go to the thread that has all of the towers for your market, so like the first post in the iowa/nebraska thread in the sponsors area. you click on the pin of the tower you want to link to, highlight the tower ID, then past (as plain text) in your post, highlight what you just posted, go back to the map with the towers, right click on the pop up with the tower info, choose copy link address, go pack to your post you are writing and click the link button on the menu, then copy in the link address. viola! you have a link that is the site ID that when clicked on takes you to the location on google maps :)

hope that info helps :)

• Like 2

Hey Thanks a lot everyone for the great information.   BMoses, I have seen several posts of yours in the Central Iowa group so you must be around here too.    Some neat information and hopefully with the influx of softbank things will keep progressing well and in an upward way for Sprint !!   I heard from someone at Sprint last week they are supposedly getting rid of Ericsson techs and getting their own tower techs/engrs again like they used to have. Maybe that will take some layers of hassles out of getting stuff done - if that is true.

• Like 1

If that is true i think that could cause more delays... What they need is more workers, so getting rid of Ericsson's workers would be counter productive.... right?

If that is true i think that could cause more delays... What they need is more workers, so getting rid of Ericsson's workers would be counter productive.... right?

Not necessarily getting rid of.... just bringing in house. Taking some of the middlemen out of the way.

• Like 1

So anyone have recommendations for Apps you use on an iPhone 5 to help report or figure out what towers are doing, what towers you're connected too, etc ?   From things I'm reading and trying to understand it seems less available on the IOS versus android OS.

Thanks !