is EVDO Rev B a part of Network Vision?

When it's really bad the connection just times out and no data services work. Other times it will will get to sub 100kbps speeds with several hundred milliseconds of latency which is very frustrating to try to do anything on. Trust me I wouldn't be complaining if it maintained greater than 2mbps with sub 150ms latency. Switching to 3g didn't help much when the connection was timing out on LTE, it was dial up speed at best. I suspect that the backhaul was saturated at that point, me thinks 100mbps isn't quite enough to feed a 4g accepted site.

• Like 1

When it's really bad the connection just times out and no data services work. Other times it will will get to sub 100kbps speeds with several hundred milliseconds of latency which is very frustrating to try to do anything on. Trust me I wouldn't be complaining if it maintained greater than 2mbps with sub 150ms latency. Switching to 3g didn't help much when the connection was timing out on LTE, it was dial up speed at best. I suspect that the backhaul was saturated at that point, me thinks 100mbps isn't quite enough to feed a 4g accepted site.

More likely the air link is saturated or there are interference problems. Each sector of 5x5Mhz spectrum has a 37.5Mbps maximum throughput shared between all the users connected to that sector. 37.5Mbps * 3 Sectors + 3.1Mbps (EVDO) * 3 Sectors is only a bit more than 100Mbps. 

I'm more than a  little miffed that Sprint sold at&t 10MHz of their PCS spectrum in my market back in 2009. We really could use another LTE carrier, it's been 6 months since LTE launched here and there are already spots where it is overloaded to the point of being useless.

Fine...you're pissed.  However, that was 5 years ago.  It's done.  Obviously I don't support selling the spectrum.

More than likely, Sprint would deploy their 5MHz carrier on Band 26 in your area before they installed a second carrier anyway.  Sprint will not be deploying a second PCS carrier anywhere until all the sites have at least one.  Too few sites carrying too much burden now.

Robert

How do you define useless? what sort of speed are you seeing? because even with LTE as long as its faster than 2Mbps down i would take it anyways because thats still enough to stream music and video.

What is the 3G speed like?

I define useless as speedtests won't even start, Web pages won't load, Tapatalk forums will not pull up, non-sms messages won't send in google hangouts, etc.

• Like 1

More likely the air link is saturated or there are interference problems. Each sector of 5x5Mhz spectrum has a 37.5Mbps maximum throughput shared between all the users connected to that sector. 37.5Mbps * 3 Sectors + 3.1Mbps (EVDO) * 3 Sectors is only a bit more than 100Mbps. 

According to my math it would take ~172mbps to fully serve a site with three 1xrtt carriers, three ev-do carriers, and one 5MHz LTE carrier(which just so happens to be the configuration in my market). This assumes voice is backhauled at 64kbps PCM, if Sprint is converting voice traffic to 64kbps PCM at the switch rather than the BTS then 150mbps may be adequate.

How do you define useless? what sort of speed are you seeing? because even with LTE as long as its faster than 2Mbps down i would take it anyways because thats still enough to stream music and video. 

What is the 3G speed like?

Basically, this.

BdwAcgvIYAAeU2C.png

EVDO connection works fine, LTE connection is always terrible at this location. Sprint Care's resolution? No need to open a CTMS ticket, because the cell site is functioning at > 90% and I only used 2.5 voice minutes on it.

I would be glad for 2mbps.

Fine...you're pissed.  However, that was 5 years ago.  It's done.  Obviously I don't support selling the spectrum.

More than likely, Sprint would deploy their 5MHz carrier on Band 26 in your area before they installed a second carrier anyway.  Sprint will not be deploying a second PCS carrier anywhere until all the sites have at least one.  Too few sites carrying too much burden now.

Robert

I wouldn't go so far as to say I'm pissed, just miffed :P

I can't wait to start seeing some band 26 goodness.

I actually feel like I'm whining a little too much here, so I should say that service is leaps and bounds better than it was 12 months ago. Just not quite good enough for me to cancel my Verizon line yet :(

• Like 1

I wouldn't go so far as to say I'm pissed, just miffed :P

I can't wait to start seeing some band 26 goodness.

I actually feel like I'm whining a little too much here, so I should say that service is leaps and bounds better than it was 12 months ago. Just not quite good enough for me to cancel my Verizon line yet :(

Understood.

Robert

I hope that we have an update soon for Tri-band support, and that we have long term support as well.

Can I ask if it's worth investing as much resources into LTE when it's more fragile air link than the rest of Sprint's network? I know that Sprint would lose speeds if they deployed 5x5 carriers on EvDo revB, but the in building penetration would be a step up and the loss of speeds over a weak signal are much smaller. I know LTE is much more spectrum efficient. (Pull higher speeds and probably capacity on the same amount of spectrum), but EvDo to me sounds pretty promising if they went that route. I know it's too late now, but prior to NV 1.0 was it even an option?

Sent from my LG-G2

According to my math it would take ~172mbps to fully serve a site with three 1xrtt carriers, three ev-do carriers, and one 5MHz LTE carrier(which just so happens to be the configuration in my market). This assumes voice is backhauled at 64kbps PCM, if Sprint is converting voice traffic to 64kbps PCM at the switch rather than the BTS then 150mbps may be adequate.

All deployed carriers on a site running at full throttle capacity never happens in real world operations. So, scratch that concern. Also,voice is not converted to 64 kbps PCM until the MSC, if even then. Otherwise, the fidelity gains with EVRC-NW HD Voice are wiped out.

AJ

• Like 1

Can I ask if it's worth investing as much resources into LTE when it's more fragile air link than the rest of Sprint's network? I know that Sprint would lose speeds if they deployed 5x5 carriers on EvDo revB, but the in building penetration would be a step up and the loss of speeds over a weak signal are much smaller. I know LTE is much more spectrum efficient. (Pull higher speeds and probably capacity on the same amount of spectrum), but EvDo to me sounds pretty promising if they went that route. I know it's too late now, but prior to NV 1.0 was it even an option?

Sent from my LG-G2

They have to go LTE.  Sprint cannot go it alone in the world with EVDO-B.  They would eventually just have to refarm it back to LTE one day, anyway.  Make the move to LTE now, and supplement coverage with lower frequency LTE.

Robert

• Like 5

• 6 months later...

So i know this is an old thread but I was researching something, and ran across it.  So just wondering, once LTE is completely live or up and running on a tower, I should not revert back to EVDO Rev A. at all correct?  Right now Ive been forced back to EVDO Rev A. from eHRPD which has happened before, but not sure 100% as to why.  Perhaps this is a sign that the "sprint gods" may be shinning down on my tower and transitioning to LTE finally.  lol.  I have tried resetting my network connection several times and I just end up on EV-DO Rev A. every time.  I was out and about today and my phone worked fine mostly was on LTE all day and some eHRPD.  

So I guess my question is why do the towers still broadcast EV-DO once they have been upgraded to LTE?  Is it for those of us who do not have LTE capable phones?  or roaming partners who do not carry LTE service?  or other reasons?  I mean it seems just about as fast as the eHRPD signal I had this morning.   I am just curious thats all.  Thanks guys.

Kevin

So i know this is an old thread but I was researching something, and ran across it.  So just wondering, once LTE is completely live or up and running on a tower, I should not revert back to EVDO Rev A. at all correct?  Right now Ive been forced back to EVDO Rev A. from eHRPD which has happened before, but not sure 100% as to why.  Perhaps this is a sign that the "sprint gods" may be shinning down on my tower and transitioning to LTE finally.  lol.  I have tried resetting my network connection several times and I just end up on EV-DO Rev A. every time.  I was out and about today and my phone worked fine mostly was on LTE all day and some eHRPD.  

So I guess my question is why do the towers still broadcast EV-DO once they have been upgraded to LTE?  Is it for those of us who do not have LTE capable phones?  or roaming partners who do not carry LTE service?  or other reasons?  I mean it seems just about as fast as the eHRPD signal I had this morning.   I am just curious thats all.  Thanks guys.

Kevin

The easy answer is yes :) Seriously though, as I understand it you will drop to EVDO if LTE is oversaturated. LTE is also a more fragile air link vs EVDO so there is another reason to keep it around. We still also have 1xrtt which is slower than EVDO but has a stronger air link.

Right now Ive been forced back to EVDO Rev A. from eHRPD which has happened before, but not sure 100% as to why.

If the handset, for whatever reason, cannot connect to the 4G core over LTE or eHRPD, then it falls back to EV-DO.  But, otherwise, eHRPD and EV-DO are the very same airlink.

AJ

ah i c.  ok.  yeah that seems like something I had read a while back about it.  thanks for the info.  So realistically it doesn't matter if I'm connected to EVDO or eHRPD?  should be about the same experience?

ah i c.  ok.  yeah that seems like something I had read a while back about it.  thanks for the info.  So realistically it doesn't matter if I'm connected to EVDO or eHRPD?  should be about the same experience?

If the handset is connected to the 4G core through LTE or eHRPD, it maintains the same IP address assignment -- regardless of airlink.  If the handset falls back to EV-DO, the IP address assignment is different.  Any IP address specific services will be interrupted and need to be reinitiated.

AJ

ok that makes sense.