Differences in NV Rollout between Markets

This may be a stupid question, but I've noticed that in some markets (like Raleigh/Durham and Charlotte, NC), the NV upgrade sites are almost exclusively 4G only (the map of the cities is a sea of purple). Meanwhile, Chicago is full of green 3G/800/4G and yellow 3G/4G upgrades. Finally, Boston has mostly 3G/4G and some 3G only, with only a single green 3G/800/4G site. Obviously, eventually almost all of these sites will be upgraded to 3G/800/4G, but why are they rolled out in such a radically different order?

Chicago's NV vendor is Sammy, but Boston, Charlotte, and Raleigh/Durham are all AlcaLu. What's with the inconsistency of rollout? Thanks.

• Like 1

This may be a stupid question, but I've noticed that in some markets (like Raleigh/Durham and Charlotte, NC), the NV upgrade sites are almost exclusively 4G only (the map of the cities is a sea of purple). Meanwhile, Chicago is full of green 3G/800/4G and yellow 3G/4G upgrades. Finally, Boston has mostly 3G/4G and some 3G only, with only a single green 3G/800/4G site. Obviously, eventually almost all of these sites will be upgraded to 3G/800/4G, but why are they rolled out in such a radically different order?

Chicago's NV vendor is Sammy, but Boston, Charlotte, and Raleigh/Durham are all AlcaLu. What's with the inconsistency of rollout? Thanks.

I'm not 1000% sure, but from what I've read around S4GRU it depends on the Legacy Equipment that was in the area prior to NV. For instance, legacy Motorola equipment causes a delay in 3G because sites must be launched in clusters in those areas to prevent loss of service. The 800 argument is pretty easy. Nextel was on 800, so only areas with minimal Nextel users received 800 prior to the iDEN shutdown. 4G is launched on a site as soon as the site is complete and backhaul is available, 3G won't launch on these 4G towers until 3G can be launched in clusters.

Again, my answer isn't 1000% but pretty much sums up a lot of the issues you've mentioned.

• Like 3

I'm not 1000% sure, but from what I've read around S4GRU it depends on the Legacy Equipment that was in the area prior to NV. For instance, legacy Motorola equipment causes a delay in 3G because sites must be launched in clusters in those areas to prevent loss of service. The 800 argument is pretty easy. Nextel was on 800, so only areas with minimal Nextel users received 800 prior to the iDEN shutdown. 4G is launched on a site as soon as the site is complete and backhaul is available, 3G won't launch on these 4G towers until 3G can be launched in clusters.

Again, my answer isn't 1000% but pretty much sums up a lot of the issues you've mentioned.

Thanks - this makes sense. I checked, and in Charlotte and Raleigh/Durham, where I noticed it was exclusively 4G and no 3G, the Legacy Equipment is, indeed Motorola. Chicago is also Motorola though - perhaps Samsung just has done a better job at rolling out both 3G and 4G? I guess Boston might have a lot of iDen users, which explains the lack of 800. 

Thanks - this makes sense. I checked, and in Charlotte and Raleigh/Durham, where I noticed it was exclusively 4G and no 3G, the Legacy Equipment is, indeed Motorola. Chicago is also Motorola though - perhaps Samsung just has done a better job at rolling out both 3G and 4G? I guess Boston might have a lot of iDen users, which explains the lack of 800. 

We're Motorola ---> Samsung NV here in Columbus. Our one LTE sight launched in late June only has 4G accepted. We used to be Nextel heavy (I sold a $#!+ ton when I used to work there :lol: ) so I definitely expected a 800 delay. Our 3G accepted sites are sporadic right now, but we're slightly expecting a busy month here for 3G. No word if that will include 800.

Chicago was kind of a test market for Samsung NV and it was hell on earth during their migration if I understood correctly.

We're Motorola ---> Samsung NV here in Columbus. Our one LTE sight launched in late June only has 4G accepted. We used to be Nextel heavy (I sold a $#!+ ton when I used to work there :lol: ) so I definitely expected a 800 delay. Our 3G accepted sites are sporadic right now, but we're slightly expecting a busy month here for 3G. No word if that will include 800.

Chicago was kind of a test market for Samsung NV and it was hell on earth during their migration if I understood correctly.

Surprisingly, the fact that your first 4G site came online in June means that Samsung seems to be doing really well with their rollout, since Columbus is a fourth round market, meaning a start between June and December. You clearly are at the early end of the spectrum, and, like you said, there seem to be a LOT of sites in progress there.

Hell on earth, eh?  Maybe a big nightmare, too?

AJ

• Like 1

Hell on earth, eh? Maybe a big nightmare, too?

AJ

Bwahaha. I like Brian Regan, he's hilarious. Am I correct in most of the information I said? I hate when people provide a completely wrong answer.

so because no one in Hawaii (Maui) has no nextel phones we should be getting 800Mhz quick right?

Hawaii as a whole appears to not be launching anytime soon. Permits are just now being filled for Maui according to the Sponsor side of SGRU.com

Below is Robert's post from the Hawaii Network Vision Group.

Hawaii is supposed to be one of the last markets. It has been scheduled to start this summer. It appears that permits will start to be issued in the next month or so. Work will get started when that happens. However, the first LTE signals probably will not be live until Fall.

Robert from Note 2 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Hell on earth, eh?  Maybe a big nightmare, too?

AJ

Ha! You have an awesome video come-back for everything!  This one pertained to both telephone service AND hell on earth... (with the added big nightmare of course).

It is legacy Motorola to NV Samsung that has an incompatibility, causing huge dropped call issues. This is why the Ohio markets are upgrading in clusters, and activating 800 CDMA right away. They are going to attempt to migrate customers over to 800 CDMA first, then activate the PCS CDMA which is where the problems are. This is part of the reason for the large amount of active 800 in Chicago as well. The other reason was the Chicago was very constrained spectrum wise, so they cleared out enough iDen to allow for a channel of 800 CDMA to go live to help with capacity. 

• Like 2

It is legacy Motorola to NV Samsung that has an incompatibility, causing huge dropped call issues. This is why the Ohio markets are upgrading in clusters, and activating 800 CDMA right away. They are going to attempt to migrate customers over to 800 CDMA first, then activate the PCS CDMA which is where the problems are. This is part of the reason for the large amount of active 800 in Chicago as well. The other reason was the Chicago was very constrained spectrum wise, so they cleared out enough iDen to allow for a channel of 800 CDMA to go live to help with capacity.

Yeah what he said! Thanks for coming in and cleaning up my holes.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Ha! You have an awesome video come-back for everything!  This one pertained to both telephone service AND hell on earth... (with the added big nightmare of course).

I have probably linked that Brian Regan clip more than I have any other.  Mention throwing a "switch," and my autonomic response is you get that video.

AJ

Yeah what he said! Thanks for coming in and cleaning up my holes.

Eww!  I hope someone else brought some baby wipes for "cleaning up [your] holes."

:P

AJ

• Like 3

Eww! I hope someone else brought some baby wipes for "cleaning up [your] holes."

:P

AJ

'Twas thinking it, but didn't say anything...

Hey I wipe my own hole (Target wet wipes to be specific)! I just need coverage for any holes in my information. >_>

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 4 Beta