Collection of disguised cell phone tower photos

dcmike

Thank you! That is so neat!  I have always been obsessed with "hidden" cell towers since my first time seeing a "tree" in Vegas (and that was before S4GRU came around)...  All we have around here are the flag poles and the standard towers (including free standing, water tower add ons, etc)...

That is cool. For those of you in North San Diego County, you'll see this one http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2011/jan/22/oceanside-park-cell-tower-wins-design-award/ at Guajome Park. I've also seen another at the San Dieguto Park in Solana Beach hidden in a tree. Didn't notice it when I arrived, but noticed this funky looking tree close to the park exit while leaving, that looked like something the military would do camouflaging.

In NYC, we have hidden towers, but they are colored to fit in with the building. For instance, I've seen panels that have a brick pattern on them, or have been colored red so that they are almost unnoticeable form a distance.I've only seen 1 site disguised as a tree and it was on my way to Ramapo, NY.

In NYC, we have hidden towers, but they are colored to fit in with the building. For instance, I've seen panels that have a brick pattern on them, or have been colored red so that they are almost unnoticeable form a distance.I've only seen 1 site disguised as a tree and it was on my way to Ramapo, NY.

If they are mounted to a building then it is no longer a tower right?

If they are mounted to a building then it is no longer a tower right?

What if the "building" is nothing more than an elaborate disguise for the radios and equipment? Thus the building itself is in fact the tower, and it's contents and use as a building are merely incidental to the primary purpose: something to bolt the panels to!  :hee:

What if the "building" is nothing more than an elaborate disguise for the radios and equipment? Thus the building itself is in fact the tower, and it's contents and use as a building are merely incidental to the primary purpose: something to bolt the panels to!  :hee:

Why not just put the panels inside?  It doesn't really matter where those go.  Hell I've seen pics of them installed on wooden blocks in the country side.

My response to digiblur was intended as sarcasm, but now that we're on the topic..

There's all types of infrastructure lurking behind facades all around us. For example, these houses are actually electrical substations:

coll211.0.jpg Collyer1.jpg

More details here

Sometimes this is what needs to be done in order to overcome vocal NIMBY-types or restrictive zoning laws. There's some other interesting examples, including a row house concealing train tracks.

And last but not least, bringing it around full circle are the houses specifically built just to conceal cell phone towers:

false-houses-conceal-cell-sites.jpg

From WebUrbanist. My favorite from that page is the, umm, fake telephone pole.

• Like 1