LG G2 -- the first Sprint tri band LTE handset (was "LG Optimus G2")

Thai

WiFi is included.  There's 100% chance of that.  Don't worry about it.  

Also - Bestbuy taking pre-orders for upgrades on Sprint LG G2 for only $99.

I'll likely order mine after I get off from work.

Lazy Link.

EDIT: Looks like no Quadbeat earphones. Ah well, not a biggie.

Thanks for sharing this deal... I had checked earlier in the day and the Sprint variant wasn't online yet.

Best Buy also had a promotion where you would get a $50 gift card if you upgraded a phone before December 31 that you had to sign up for several months ago, in-store or online. So you may have signed up and forgotten you did it. Not sure if that stacks with any other gift card promos.

Alas my upgrade isn't due until January 1 and you can't do early upgrades/One Up through BB yet.

I remember signing up for this offer, but I can't find any info in my email archives.  If my memory serves me correctly, they used to send me reminders about it every few weeks.  I'm thinking that they may have been text messages, do you recall how the promo worked.  I thought you didn't have to do anything besides activate a new phone under your current phone number and they would send you a gift card a few weeks later (after return/exchange period expires).

Sweet. Thanks everyone for the heads up about Best Buy. Just bought 2 G2s and only spent $133 plus got a $50 gift card (not sure if I get 2 since it says one per customer). I had a Best Buy gift card with $75 that I never thought I'd use since everything there is so overpriced but it came in handy today. I can't wait to join all of y'all in some LTE goodness very soon.

I'm in a similar situation.  I only ordered one because idk if the gf will actually like the phone.  We were both long time Blackberry users, and I had to pry it out of her hand last night because I picked up a used Note 2 on craigslist for her.

My total came up to $5.33 after I redeemed some RewardZone points that have been accruing on my Best Buy mastercard.  I usually just let them build up and use them to buy Christmas gifts for others and the new Call of Duty for myself every year.  I was surprised that they let me pay for a contract phone with reward points, especially since there is a gift card offer attached to it.  I remember spending like 30 mins at the register last year on black friday because the system wouldn't let me redeem rewards on a free gift card package.

If BB doesn't cancel my order, and they honor the $50 gift card upgrade offer on top of the current $50 gift card offer, I will end up getting the G2 at net zero cost to me.  Effectively swapping RewardZone points/certificate for Best Buy gift cards for the same amount....  This almost makes me feel like one of those 'Extreme Coupon' ladies

:rofl:

My local best buy says they have them in stock but they cannot sell/activate because of release date. :( Why Sprint, why!?!

I think a lot of retailers may end up sitting on them for a couple weeks.  I'm not sure how the supply chain works, but its possible that Best Buy has a higher priority receiving product from LG than Sprint does.  I know when I used to work in electronics retail, we would get some Sony products before the Sony Style store that used to be in Cincinnati.  A lot of it has to do with the amount of product a particular retailer will move.  I wouldn't be surprised if your Best Buy has them already due to their relationship with LG and them being an authorized dealer for pretty much every product line LG offers.  Where Sprint only carries the mobile product line.

Any Jacksonville Best Buy workers around here in need of a friend? I'd love an early hookup... I can convince my wife to bake some awesome cookies...

Any Jacksonville Best Buy workers around here in need of a friend? I'd love an early hookup... I can convince my wife to bake some awesome cookies...

I'm going to the Best buy at the Avenues that said they have stock but can't sell yet...but the girl said that over the phone so I'll try it in store through another employee. Lol.

Not the best buy mobile in the mall, the one around the corner.

I wish Otterbox made a Defender case for the G2. I have one on my Evo 3d and it looks brand new still. I work in an environment where my phone gets thrown around, dropped, slammed into, etc. I think I might get this case, though. It seems like it has the best protection of any case out for the G2.

http://www.goballisticcase.com/products/lg-g2-ballistic-shell-gel-sg-series-case

Do you think your case is going to be super thick? 

I was thinking about getting this one: http://www.amazon.com/SPIGEN-Protective-Sprint-T-Mobile-International/dp/B00ELMXYAG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1381617485&sr=8-1&keywords=spigen+lg+g2

I'm going to the Best buy at the Avenues that said they have stock but can't sell yet...but the girl said that over the phone so I'll try it in store through another employee. Lol.

Not the best buy mobile in the mall, the one around the corner.

That's where I signed up for Sprint many years ago. I remember they gave me a ridiculous deal when the Samsung Moment came out and I bought two of them for only $30 and they gave me the buy back amount for my old cell phones and let me keep them so I then sent them into Sprint for a second buy back discount.

That's where I signed up for Sprint many years ago. I remember they gave me a ridiculous deal when the Samsung Moment came out and I bought two of them for only $30 and they gave me the buy back amount for my old cell phones and let me keep them so I then sent them into Sprint for a second buy back discount.

I just talked to a BestBuy employee and he said they're selling it Oct 18th and that he read that in his "News". Not sure if it's correct or not but I'm interested in seeing if it's available then.

Do you think your case is going to be super thick? 

I was thinking about getting this one: http://www.amazon.com/SPIGEN-Protective-Sprint-T-Mobile-International/dp/B00ELMXYAG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1381617485&sr=8-1&keywords=spigen+lg+g2

I read a review for Spigen, but the person said the front lip doesn't really come up enough to protect against drops and scratches and having a scratch from laying it down screen first on a table. I imagine the Ballistic case will be pretty thick, but it is the closest thing to the Otterbox Defender that I can find for the G2. I emailed Otterbox asking if they had plans to make a Defender for the G2, but got a pretty direct "no" response from them.

I just talked to a BestBuy employee and he said they're selling it Oct 18th and that he read that in his "News". Not sure if it's correct or not but I'm interested in seeing if it's available then.

Oh man, I hope so... If so, I wonder when pre-orders will be arriving at doorsteps. I better get a case ordered ASAP just in case.

Anyone else get any intel like this?

I read a review for Spigen, but the person said the front lip doesn't really come up enough to protect against drops and scratches and having a scratch from laying it down screen first on a table. I imagine the Ballistic case will be pretty thick, but it is the closest thing to the Otterbox Defender that I can find for the G2. I emailed Otterbox asking if they had plans to make a Defender for the G2, but got a pretty direct "no" response from them.

I bought an xtremeguard (wet application) screen protector, so I'm not concerned about scratching the phone when it's face down, but that call into question if the screen protector will get lifted up when I insert it into the case (like my current 4S Incipio feather/BSE screen protector). I used an Otterbox for about a month, but I couldn't get over how fat it made the entire device. The ballistic (and Spigen) case seem to be a lot thinner, but I'm worried about the screen protector lift, and drop protection (the Incipio Feather case has successfully protected my 4S from 4 significant drops). 

As there is a pretty good rumor that the release of the Nexus 5 imminent, he might be thinking of that and not the G2.

Mav.

Sent from Torchwood

Edited by VW Maverick

I bought an xtremeguard (wet application) screen protector, so I'm not concerned about scratching the phone when it's face down, but that call into question if the screen protector will get lifted up when I insert it into the case (like my current 4S Incipio feather/BSE screen protector). I used an Otterbox for about a month, but I couldn't get over how fat it made the entire device. The ballistic (and Spigen) case seem to be a lot thinner, but I'm worried about the screen protector lift, and drop protection (the Incipio Feather case has successfully protected my 4S from 4 significant drops). 

I am getting the Spigen Slim Armor Case in white because to me that is enough protection for me especially since I am also putting on a screen protector.  I just think putting on an Otterbox case is nuts because of how fat it makes the device look.

As there is a pretty good rumor that the release of the Nexus 5 imminent, he might be thinking of that and not the G2.Mav. Sent from Torchwood

Maybe, I was looking at the Sprint demo unit and was limited (couldn't create a gmail for play store) so I didn't play much but when I asked about the G2, he said he didn't think Sprint sold it yet but checked the system and saw preorder Oct 11th and release next Friday.

I am getting the Spigen Slim Armor Case in white because to me that is enough protection for me especially since I am also putting on a screen protector.  I just think putting on an Otterbox case is nuts because of how fat it makes the device look.

agreed, but how are you going to validate the the screen protector won't raise up when you insert the phone into the case? trial and error?

agreed, but how are you going to validate the the screen protector won't raise up when you insert the phone into the case? trial and error?

Yeah I guess.  Since the phone has a non-removable battery and no SD card, I won't see myself needing to take the phone out of the case very often that could help trigger that issue.

A few quick thoughts on the G2.

It is fast, but we all knew this.  Almost all modern smartphones are fast.  The hardware on top end devices pretty much makes sure that everything flies.  The G2 is no exception.

The notification shade is a wee bit cluttered.  With Android now natively supporting quick settings via a second page on the notification shade, there is very little reason to clutter up the pulldown with with all of the toggles.  About 1/3 of the notification shade is already full of stuff before you even get a notification.  From what I understand some of the other carrier versions allow some of these to be disabled to clean things up a bit, I have not had the opportunity to dig into setting to see what the Sprint version allows to be disabled.

Odd annoyance regarding notifications.  It seems that even if the screen is off if an application is running in the foreground you will not see the notification if you pull down the notification shade.  You will see the notification in the status bar, but if you pull it down to see more details it is gone.  All of this is if the screen is still locked.  I only noticed this when using Google Hangouts.  I am a very active user of Hangouts so this really stuck out to me.  My common practice if I receive a Hangouts notification is to pull down to see a quick preview to see if it is something I need to unlock the phone and respond to.  With the G2 the notification disappears when you pull it down.  Like I mentioned earlier, this only seems to happen if Hangouts is the app running "under" the lockscreen.  If another app or the home screen is where I left the phone before I locked it the notifications seem to work just fine.  

I really enjoy the knock on feature, it is very convenient and somewhat necessary because of the button placement on the back.  As most of you know you can wake the phone by double tapping the screen, this also works to turn of the screen by double tapping an empty space on the homescreen or double tapping the status bar. Note if you use a different launcher (I usually use Nova) you lose the ability to turn off the screen by double tapping on the homescreen.  It will still turn it off by double tapping the status bar, so you don't lose the functionality completely.  

The camera seems really good in limited testing.  I obviously am not in an environment to test many different scenarios, but it seems good in limited testing.  LG has their own version of Photospheres called VR Panorama, it works a little differently than the stock Nexus version, but seems to work well enough.  I for one am looking forward to taking some photospheres without having to use some crash prone hacked version of the apk that I currently have on my current phone.  All phones should support it at this point.  

I will follow up with more impressions as I notice things going forward.  Keep in mind that I am using a phone that is almost a month away from release, there still could be software issues that will be addressed prior to release.

• Like 2

I pre-ordered the white LG G2, though, I am still very much looking forward to see what the Nexus 5 has to offer.

If the unlikely rumor that the 32gb version of the Nexus 5 will have the 3,000mah battery and reviews comes out positive. I will most likely cancel my Best Buy G2 order and get the Nexus 5. If the likely 2,300 mah is the battery for the 32gb version then I am for sure going to keep my G2 order.

In case anyone is still in doubt about the phone being triband, LG has released the specs for the Sprint LG G2.  If you click the link below and go to the "Technical Specifications" tab and expand "Specifications", under "Transmission" it says LTE bands 25/26/41.

http://www.lg.com/us/cell-phones/lg-LS980-White-g2

Mr. dabbs, I know you have been jumping around forums to gather information and answers for the community. Thanks.

I ordered the G2 from BB Mobile today. I'll see how everything shakes out when I get the phone, but at an effective price of $50 for what arguably may be the best smartphone out there, it sure feels like a heckuva deal.

Mr. dabbs, I know you have been jumping around forums to gather information and answers for the community. Thanks.

I ordered the G2 from BB Mobile today. I'll see how everything shakes out when I get the phone, but at an effective price of $50 for what arguably may be the best smartphone out there, it sure feels like a heckuva deal.

At $50..that is a no brainer. Glad you did it. We need to show LG that customers will support their phones if they make a good one and the LG G2 is an example.

Sent from my Motorola Photon 4G using Tapatalk 2

The notification shade is a wee bit cluttered.  With Android now natively supporting quick settings via a second page on the notification shade, there is very little reason to clutter up the pulldown with with all of the toggles.  About 1/3 of the notification shade is already full of stuff before you even get a notification.  From what I understand some of the other carrier versions allow some of these to be disabled to clean things up a bit, I have not had the opportunity to dig into setting to see what the Sprint version allows to be disabled.

Someone wrote that the brightness bar was not on the Sprint's notification shade.  Really don't need the volume bar there either; hope they can be removed.

Someone wrote that the brightness bar was not on the Sprint's notification shade.  Really don't need the volume bar there either; hope they can be removed.

Really?  I would have expected that the Sprint version would be just like the Tmobile and AT&T versions where there are the volume and brightness bars in the notification panel.  Either way in XDA, there is a mod for other carriers to remove both volume+brightness bars or just the volume bar.