Bad ESN issue

evancg

But that's just my point, I'm not generally malcontent. I agree, I avoid those sites because all people do is complain, but if you look at those, those who tend to complain, complain ALL the time. It's what they do. It's what they love. They want everything for free, they want to milk Sprint for every dollar they can. That's why I don't post for help there - they look for ways to scam Sprint.

I like Sprint. I want Sprint to succeed.

I understand, evancg, I hope you understand that I am not at all impugning you or your unfortunate situation, which has been resolved, thankfully.  And I can fully see that you support Sprint and want Network Vision to succeed.  You are a valued sponsor.  Thank You.

I am just worried by a growing number of customer service issue threads that S4GRU is potentially becoming the go to site for all things Sprint.  One on hand, as something of a stakeholder here at S4GRU, I am honored that new arrivals, members, and sponsors alike think this now maybe the best source for all Sprint questions.  But, ironically enough, those questions bring into appropriate question the mandate of S4GRU -- both its charter as a wireless network "nerd" focused site and its non profit status.

Maybe this is just me drawing the line in the sand with this thread, but I am a bit concerned...

AJ

evancg, on 13 Jun 2013 - 09:52 AM, said:

But that's just my point, I'm not generally malcontent. I agree, I avoid those sites because all people do is complain, but if you look at those, those who tend to complain, complain ALL the time. It's what they do. It's what they love. They want everything for free, they want to milk Sprint for every dollar they can. That's why I don't post for help there - they look for ways to scam Sprint.

I like Sprint. I want Sprint to succeed. I want them grow. And it honestly was stressing me out and physically making me sick to my stomach to feel like Sprint just didn't want to hear it. A lot of that came from the response I got from many of the representatives. I worked as a manager in a call center for four years and I know you get good and bad, but all I got was bad. That's why I eventually came here - partially to vent, partially for moral support, and partially for tips on which department might actually be able to help me.

No system is perfect. The seller of my device was the eBay front for http://www.waypharer.com/ (figured it out after researching it further) - so in all likelihood someone scammed them but I wound up being the fall guy. I champion Sprint to my friends and family, and to be the one who ultimately and solely suffers due to a giant loophole in the system was just leaving a really bad taste in my mouth (part of that is also the free coffee at work, but it's free, so I'm not complaining).

Friend..coffee like good quality customer service is NEVER EVER free..sometimes it just seems so

There are some people at Sprint who doesn't care about customers. I called to get my iPhone 5 replaced because of the issue Sprint had with 3G intermittently disconnecting and was told that since I don't have insurance (they didn't have insurance at the time when the iPhone's were sold), they can't help me. That I have to go to Apple to get a warranty replacement. So I said, fine I will go there. But If Apple tells me that it's a sprint issue, then what do I do? and the rep told me, then you need to decide whether you want to keep Sprint as the provider. I couldn't believe what I had heard. Trying really hard to keep customers...

Did your device actually experience that issue? Did you then bring it to a retail store for troubleshooting?

Did your device actually experience that issue? Did you then bring it to a retail store for troubleshooting?

I did bring it but they said to take it to apple store since the Sprint stores don't have the diagnostic tools to help.

Not complaining AJ.. incase you are worried. :D

I understand, evancg, I hope you understand that I am not at all impugning you or your unfortunate situation, which has been resolved, thankfully.  And I can fully see that you support Sprint and want Network Vision to succeed.  You are a valued sponsor.  Thank You.

I am just worried by a growing number of customer service issue threads that S4GRU is potentially becoming the go to site for all things Sprint.  One on hand, as something of a stakeholder here at S4GRU, I am honored that new arrivals, members, and sponsors alike think this now maybe the best source for all Sprint questions.  But, ironically enough, those questions bring into appropriate question the mandate of S4GRU -- both its charter as a wireless network "nerd" focused site and its non profit status.

Maybe this is just me drawing the line in the sand with this thread, but I am a bit concerned...

AJ

I do see your point, and I don't want the kind of Sprint-bashing I see on other sites to go on here, as well.  However, this doesn't seem like a Sprint-bashing thread to me, in spite of the title.  It seems to me that the point of the thread was to get to the right people at Sprint who could factually address the issue, not just the front end who have no real authority or the final word.  And, that final word could have been "No" and Sprint would have been within their rights.  Yes, there were some less-than-helpful reps, and yes, he did get some bad information, but, ultimately, he did get some suggestions from the users here.  And, he made us all aware of a technical issue related to bad ESNs and the kind of fraud around them.

Now, if this had turned into a true Sprint-bashing thread, I would be more concerned, but I think we all learned from the thread, and, thankfully, Sprint proved how good they can be by helping out a customer who did nothing wrong.  In the end, this thread puts Sprint in the best possible light by showing how generous they can be.

HB

I did bring it but they said to take it to apple store since the Sprint stores don't have the diagnostic tools to help.

Not complaining AJ.. incase you are worried. :D

When was this again? Sprint repair centers can now handle iPhone transactions, whether you have Applecare+ or TEP. There was an issue with the iPhone 5 losing 3G data, but that was resolved with a carrier update, and replacing the phone would not have solved it (if that was the issue you were experiencing). 

In the end, this thread puts Sprint in the best possible light by showing how generous they can be.
Then, perhaps, the title should be changed away from "Sprint customer service has been terrible...", no?

Then, perhaps, the title should be changed away from "Sprint customer service has been terrible...", no?

I was actually looking for a way to do that but couldn't figure it out...

• Like 1

When was this again? Sprint repair centers can now handle iPhone transactions, whether you have Applecare+ or TEP. There was an issue with the iPhone 5 losing 3G data, but that was resolved with a carrier update, and replacing the phone would not have solved it (if that was the issue you were experiencing). 

Then I am at a loss. I went to the store in Feb this year or something like that. The Carrier update didn't help me because I still lose 3G on and off and my towers are all fine. But a helpful tech has placed an order for me so I should be ok on Tuesday. If not, than I'll be at a loss again.

I changed the title of the thread to just Bad ESN issue, as that succinctly describes the issue best now.

Robert via Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

I'm using this old thread instead of posting a new one since its the same topic.

I bought an iPhone 5S in late March brand new never activated from eBay and activated it April 1st. Bought it from a reputable eBay seller that checked out well and all that.

I'm assuming the history of the phone is someone bought it on contract and turned around and sold it.

My question is, is it still in any way tied to their account so if they cancel and don't pay the remaining balance will it blacklist the ESN and cause me to not be able to reactivate if I decide to swap phones then swap back to the iPhone for instance?

I know one way to find out and I'm not willing to possibly have a brick... And Sprint couldn't tell me anything other then the first time it was ever activated was April 1st, the day I got it since its already activated on my account.

I'm using this old thread instead of posting a new one since its the same topic.

I bought an iPhone 5S in late March brand new never activated from eBay and activated it April 1st. Bought it from a reputable eBay seller that checked out well and all that.

I'm assuming the history of the phone is someone bought it on contract and turned around and sold it.

My question is, is it still in any way tied to their account so if they cancel and don't pay the remaining balance will it blacklist the ESN and cause me to not be able to reactivate if I decide to swap phones then swap back to the iPhone for instance?

I know one way to find out and I'm not willing to possibly have a brick... And Sprint couldn't tell me anything other then the first time it was ever activated was April 1st, the day I got it since its already activated on my account.

I am a Sprint Rep and from my experience, no you will not be affected. Since this device is now tied to your account, and hopefully there wasn't a similar situation with an insurance replacement being sent in, you should be fine. The only thing I could see worst case scenario is if the original seller kept log of the ESN and checked it daily to see if it was removed from an active status, which can be done by going into any store and having them check an ESN to see if it is bad or good.  They then can attempt to reactivate it through their Sprint.com account after it becomes inactive off yours and possibly try to do an insurance claim to get a "lost/stolen" replacement. Tedious....but who knows with people now a days.

Edited by jaculop
  • Like 2