iPhone 5 (Verizon 3G Data roam)

Danielj1981

Hey guys,

Is it possible to get my iPhone 5 to roam onto Verizon's 3G data? If so how?

Sorry if this is a stupid or repeat question. Didn't see any threads about it on here.

Was wondering if I could force my i5 to roam and use Verizon 3G while inside and the Sprint tower does not pick up.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Nope. Not possible.

Didn't think so but figured I would ask. With the way People come up with things these days figured it was possible. Heck I would be willing to pay the roaming charges so long as my pandora and FB messenger would work inside :-(

Hey guys' date='

Is it possible to get my iPhone 5 to roam onto Verizon's 3G data? If so how?

Sorry if this is a stupid or repeat question. Didn't see any threads about it on here.

Was wondering if I could force my i5 to roam and use Verizon 3G while inside and the Sprint tower does not pick up.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk[/quote']

Yes, it's possible but your phone would need to be jail broken (which is currently only available for iOS 6.1.2 or less). If you've got 6.1.3 or 6.1.4 it's not possible. That said, that's not a topic that would fit the rules and guidelines of this site because it would involve indirectly circumventing the terms and conditions of your Sprint contract.

I'm not sure how against the rules it is, but considering you only have 300mb of roaming regardless of what tech you use it on I don't see why.

If you want to use Verizon EV-DO while outside of the native coverage footprint, either you need a corporate PRL or the area you're roaming in needs to be a former Alltel area (no custom PRL required!), To get a corporate PRL the latest is 12121 which may or may not give you Verizon EV-DO roaming but it will also give you EV-DO roaming on other carriers like US Cellular (which is better than VZW in my experience).

Download the 12121 PRL (google it). Look up installing custom PRLs on the iPhone 5, (there should be guides), then follow the instructions,

Force roaming is a different thing entirely. On android phones you can use Roam Control but I have no idea how you would do it with an iPhone (maybe a jaibreak app?)

Yes, it's possible but your phone would need to be jail broken (which is currently only available for iOS 6.1.2 or less). If you've got 6.1.3 or 6.1.4 it's not possible. That said, that's not a topic that would fit the rules and guidelines of this site because it would involve indirectly circumventing the terms and conditions of your Sprint contract.

I am currently running the 6.1.2 evasion jail break. I will NOT UPDATE my iOS any further until iOS 7 comes out. That being said, I wish NOT to break the rules here, nor violate my T's and C's with Sprint. My curiosity was more along the lines of what is "legal" in sprints eyes that I could do. I only wanted a way to improve my 3G experience the best I could only indoors. And at work. Because traveling, data is irrelevant to me while driving and I have time Warner wide band 50 Mbps at home so I'm good there. Lol

I am currently running the 6.1.2 evasion jail break. I will NOT UPDATE my iOS any further until iOS 7 comes out. That being said, I wish NOT to break the rules here, nor violate my T's and C's with Sprint. My curiosity was more along the lines of what is "legal" in sprints eyes that I could do. I only wanted a way to improve my 3G experience the best I could only indoors. And at work. Because traveling, data is irrelevant to me while driving and I have time Warner wide band 50 Mbps at home so I'm good there. Lol

I should correct myself, you wouldn't necessarily be violating your T&C, but many people look for ways to force roaming so that they can break their contract without paying the early termination fee. It's relatively easy to force the iPhone to roam on VZW and there's actually a thread in the sponsors forum that walks through the details. But in short you'll need iFile and Tetherme, then using iFile you can upload the VZW PRL forcing the phone to roam. You should be able to find the detailed tutorials relatively easily online, just google load Verizon PRL on Sprint iPhone.

I should correct myself, you wouldn't necessarily be violating your T&C, but many people look for ways to force roaming so that they can break their contract without paying the early termination fee. It's relatively easy to force the iPhone to roam on VZW and there's actually a thread in the sponsors forum that walks through the details. But in short you'll need iFile and Tetherme, then using iFile you can upload the VZW PRL forcing the phone to roam. You should be able to find the detailed tutorials relatively easily online, just google load Verizon PRL on Sprint iPhone.

I will research it...for just the information, as my brain is a sponge. But the last thing I wanna do is terminate my contract lol. Big Red took too much of my money for too long lol and AT&T is the devil haha. But it would be interesting to learn the art of how all this works. Thanks for the tips! :-)

I'm not sure how against the rules it is' date=' but considering you only have 300mb of roaming regardless of what tech you use it on I don't see why.

If you want to use Verizon EV-DO while outside of the native coverage footprint, either you need a corporate PRL or the area you're roaming in needs to be a former Alltel area (no custom PRL required!), To get a corporate PRL the latest is 12121 which may or may not give you Verizon EV-DO roaming but it will also give you EV-DO roaming on other carriers like US Cellular (which is better than VZW in my experience).

Download the 12121 PRL (google it). Look up installing custom PRLs on the iPhone 5, (there should be guides), then follow the instructions,

Force roaming is a different thing entirely. On android phones you can use Roam Control but I have no idea how you would do it with an iPhone (maybe a jaibreak app?)[/quote']

Robert doesnt this violate s4gru policy?

This thread is walking on a fine line. I wouldn't advise anyone on any course of action that would terminate people's accounts with Sprint.

Fray if you could would u take it down? I don't know how. I didn't realize this was gonna go to a violation of rules place. Curiosity kills the cat.

Fray if you could would u take it down? I don't know how. I didn't realize this was gonna go to a violation of rules place. Curiosity kills the cat.

I absolutely can and will take it down if this starts advocating violation of Sprint T's and C's.

Forcing roaming, in and of itself, does not violate Sprint's Ts and Cs. I have numerous Sprint handsets that contain a "Roaming only" menu option. But forcing roaming as a means to exceed the monthly roaming allotment is unethical.

AJ

Forcing roaming, in and of itself, does not violate Sprint's Ts and Cs. I have numerous Sprint handsets that contain a "Roaming only" menu option. But forcing roaming as a means to exceed the monthly roaming allotment is unethical.

AJ

I see. That's only fair. Just didn't wanna be gettin myself in trouble.

And thank you Fray! :-)

Like AJ said, I don't mind posts where people discuss how to utilize their roaming, as long as they are not advocating ways to bypass the 300MB monthly limit.

If there is a way to allow a Sprint iPhone on the VZW LTE network and be used as roaming, that information would be allowed at S4GRU. If it was discovered that the method hacked the VZW network and the usage wasn't showing on your Sprint account as roaming, then we would disallow the thread and probably remove it.

S4GRU considers all roaming that counts against your monthly allotment as fair game under the current T&C's. In our mind, data is data, whether it is 1x, EVDO or LTE.

Robert via Nexus 7 with Tapatalk HD

Like AJ said, I don't mind posts where people discuss how to utilize their roaming, as long as they are not advocating ways to bypass the 300MB monthly limit.

If there is a way to allow a Sprint iPhone on the VZW LTE network and be used as roaming, that information would be allowed at S4GRU. If it was discovered that the method hacked the VZW network and the usage wasn't showing on your Sprint account as roaming, then we would disallow the thread and probably remove it.

S4GRU considers all roaming that counts against your monthly allotment as fair game under the current T&C's. In our mind, data is data, whether it is 1x, EVDO or LTE.

Gotcha! Thanks for the clarification! I'm new here as you know so I didn't wanna be stepping on anyone's toes especially Sprint's. thanks for the clarification! :-)

Roaming on Verizon LTE would require a baseband hack, and I don't think anyone is even trying to hack basebands anymore.

Sent from Josh's iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

Roaming on Verizon LTE would require a baseband hack, and I don't think anyone is even trying to hack basebands anymore.

Plus you would have to be authorized by the other network.

Sent from my little Note2

Plus you would have to be authorized by the other network.

Sent from my little Note2

Carrier file might work for that.

Carrier file might work for that.

I hope not as that would be a poor network authentication. Even EVDO doesn't work like that. I would hope they implemented something on the network side to only allow authenticated users the ability to pass data.

I don't think it's possible to roam on Verizon LTE without hacking their network. When I force roam on Verizon on my devices here in New Mexico, it first tries to connect to Verizon eHRPD. And then it fails to authenticate and then tries EVDO-A, which does authenticate and connects to data.

Why doesn't it allow me to connect to VZW eHRPD? Because the eHRPD is run through VZW's LTE core. So if we cannot authenticate to eHRPD, we probably cannot to LTE either. I believe that the allowed roaming networks for eHRPD and LTE come from the SIM card and not the PRL. I believe it would take hacking VZW's network to allow it to authorize your device on to their network. Otherwise, I don't think it will happen until Sprint and VZW work out a deal, and VZW opens up their eHRPD/LTE network to Sprint devices and authorizes their SIM profile to the network.

Robert, I think what you're looking at is a physical impossibility. Without then proper antenna and RF technology to support Band 13, an LTE phone will try and fail to pick up on a signal.

Robert, I think what you're looking at is a physical impossibility. Without then proper antenna and RF technology to support Band 13, an LTE phone will try and fail to pick up on a signal.

I'm only speaking of the iPhone 5, as discussed in this thread. The Sprint iPhone 5 is the same as Verizon's.

Ryan, the handset at issue is the iPhone 5, and variant A1429 supports both band 13 and band 25 LTE.

AJ