Backhaul Question (Charleston, SC)

There is a boomer tower (operated by American Tower) out behind my house. It is already live with Verizon LTE, and AT&T LTE. It also carries T-mobile 3G and I saw a Cricket Wireless box out there as well. The Telco provider for the tower is listed as Bellsouth(AT&T), my question is: Given the above circumstances are the odds not pretty high that Sprint getting Backhaul to this site not an issue? It should already have Fiber to the sight, or does it require another fiber line entirely?

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Who are the Alternate Access Vendors for your area? Sprint is going to try to use those first, as would T-Mobile if they upgrade Charleston to LTE this year.

There is a boomer tower (operated by American Tower) out behind my house. It is already live with Verizon LTE, and AT&T LTE. It also carries T-mobile 3G and I saw a Cricket Wireless box out there as well. The Telco provider for the tower is listed as Bellsouth(AT&T), my question is: Given the above circumstances are the odds not pretty high that Sprint getting Backhaul to this site not an issue? It should already have Fiber to the sight, or does it require another fiber line entirely?

Do you see any microwave domes? Sometimes depending on the area, microwave is used in lieu of traditional fiber.

Is it the round base drum looking thing up on the tower itself? Or where would it be located at the site? I can stop and get a good look. It's public land. I also have a few pics if you would like to take a look.

We are supposed to receive LTE by years end. Where I am at is in the Summerville Metro. With Boeing being here and the explosion in population due to all the Manufacturing in this area I don't see us waiting until 2014. But who am I to say. That's just my gut feeling on it.

As for alternate vendors I'm not quite sure. I know there is a Time Warner headquarters less than a mile from the tower in question. Point me in a direction and I will research alternate vendors. :-)

Existing fiber may not be sufficient for an additional carrier. All fiber is not equal. It cannot carry infinite amount of bandwidth. If the required service level of the existing customers on that spur line do not leave enough capacity, then Sprint cannot use it if it wants to.

However, Sprint bid out all the backhaul a long time ago by market. And it's possible that AT&T is not even the backhaul vendor to that site. Sprint tried to avoid ILEC's as much as possible, especially if that ILEC is AT&T or Verizon. It's possible backhaul for this site is coming from cable company or another AAV vendor.

Robert via Nexus 7 with Tapatalk HD

• Like 1

Assuming the same vendor would be providing the fiber, I don't believe there would be a need to run a new cable. For example, a tower near me that has fiber for AT&T and Verizon still has T-1 for Sprint. Guy I know that works for Century Link told me they offered to hook fiber up for Sprint at no charge so Sprint could drop the T-1s but Sprint said no (presumably because eventually they would be replacing everything for NV).

They weren't going to run a new line, just hook up multiple customers to it. However, if a different vendor is providing the backhaul then a new line is probably required. There was a thread somewhere (it might have been a premier sponsor thread) that had backhaul vendors by market.

Existing fiber may not be sufficient for an additional carrier. All fiber is not equal. It cannot carry infinite amount of bandwidth. If the required service level of the existing customers on that spur line do not leave enough capacity, then Sprint cannot use it if it wants to.

However, Sprint bid out all the backhaul a long time ago by market. And it's possible that AT&T is not even the backhaul vendor to that site. Sprint tried to avoid ILEC's as much as possible, especially if that ILEC is AT&T or Verizon. It's possible backhaul for this site is coming from cable company or another AAV vendor.

Robert via Nexus 7 with Tapatalk HD

Gotcha! I did some research into the Term AAV'S after Fray Dog's post.

As for other vendors in the area cable company wise there are a litany of them. Time Warner has a Hub less than a mile away. Comcast xfinity, knology, and AT&T uverse are all offered at this address. (As I am in the middle of the Main Summerville SC metro.

And just to show you varies quite a bit by area, in my area I've seen AT&T fiber to many of the LTE active sites even though Cox Communications is available in the area and has a quick turnaround for fiber connections while AT&T does not.

Looking at the pics, that's not what I consider a boomer.

Definitely not, looks like a typical metro site. A boomer in my book has guy wires.

The tower that is 3G NV complete in my area had the guide wires holding it up. I have a pic of that one as well. Would it be considered a boomer? See pic. This tower has 2mbps download. Is that possible without the Backhaul being complete?

Yep, generally they must be ~100ft tall, no?

Well if that's the case then that one is way up there. The first one I posted on this thread is 166ft. But they said that was not one. Hmmmmm.... Lol I'm sure they will clarify.

I still was wondering wether or not the 2nd tower I posted would have its Backhaul imstalled If it 3G NV complete and clocking in at 2 Mbps down and 1.08 up.

I still was wondering wether or not the 2nd tower I posted would have its Backhaul imstalled If it 3G NV complete and clocking in at 2 Mbps down and 1.08 up.

It's hard to tell, you could be getting great speeds due to lack of users on the site itself.

It's hard to tell, you could be getting great speeds due to lack of users on the site itself.

Great point. That tower serves the south end of Main Street and a densely populated suburban area. Hard to say I guess. I do know that it is the one and only NV complete towers near me. Those speeds make me feel good lol ;-)

A boomer is a free standing structure exceeding 250' AGL.

Robert via Samsung Note II via Tapatalk

• Like 1

A boomer is a free standing structure exceeding 250' AGL.

Robert via Samsung Note II via Tapatalk

250'......wow!! That's up there!! That I assume is the reason for the guide cables running to anchors in the ground. Where might I find a list of all the towers near me that carry sprint equipment? I saw the map in the sponsors forum, but where might I go to research each individual tower that's on the map?

Great point. That tower serves the south end of Main Street and a densely populated suburban area. Hard to say I guess. I do know that it is the one and only NV complete towers near me. Those speeds make me feel good lol ;-)

It could be that the backhaul is in place, and maybe the crews will come out to fire up the LTE side, but all in all, enjoy!

True.the main point of the Backhaul question was that buried cable warning signs lead away from the site. They are taking that 2 lane road and currently turning it into a 6 lane highway. So my fingers are crossed that if running cable to that sight was required, that they went ahead and did it now. Cause I can't see them going back and having to dig again, especially with that major highway putting that tower a good 100 feet closer to the highway lol. Thanks for the advice buddy! Fingers crossed! :-)