Network Vision/LTE - Upper Central Valley Market (Sacramento, Stockton, Redding, Eureka & Reno/Lake Tahoe)

iwalkthrowwalls

Pretty sure these are the 8x8 rrus. Located at hwy 104 and I-5. Sprint website shows recent tower work completed for data enhancement. Peace Techgirl

Nope. They're called 8T8R and look like this :http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/5745-how-to-spot-sprint-8t8r-tdd-lte-rrhs-samsung/.

That's just a typical NV 1.0 setup that was installed months ago. Microwave is not yet live on that 3 site chain so no 4G LTE services on that site or any along that chain. 

• Like 1

Nope. They're called 8T8R and look like this :http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/5745-how-to-spot-sprint-8t8r-tdd-lte-rrhs-samsung/.

That's just a typical NV 1.0 setup that was installed months ago. Microwave is not yet live on that 3 site chain so no 4G LTE services on that site or any along that chain.

Understood lilotimz. Reviewing Sprint's tower upgrade map on its website in the Sacramento area, the work markers present a donut pattern with the circle of tower upgrades encompassing the city...natomas, roseville, elk grove, etc., while the hole of inactivity is downtown Sacramento itself. So then, if known, what has been lag time between tower upgrade indicated on Sprint's tower map and actual implementation of lte following said upgrade. If no reasonable estimate is possible, then no problem...just trying to get additional info regarding estimated LTE launch for downtown sac around the capitol.

Understood lilotimz. Reviewing Sprint's tower upgrade map on its website in the Sacramento area, the work markers present a donut pattern with the circle of tower upgrades encompassing the city...natomas, roseville, elk grove, etc., while the hole of inactivity is downtown Sacramento itself. So then, if known, what has been lag time between tower upgrade indicated on Sprint's tower map and actual implementation of lte following said upgrade. If no reasonable estimate is possible, then no problem...just trying to get additional info regarding estimated LTE launch for downtown sac around the capitol.

There is no info on the "lag time" between activation and LTE. It could take days or weeks or months or years depending on "reasons" from what we've seen. 

Regular sponsors have access to my permit / progress map that I've kept up and running for more than a year that I use to keep track of local towers. From that we can see there are quite a few sites that must be upgraded before city of sacramento can be cluster launched so I don't expect this area to be fired up this month. 

Progress is going to be based on how badly Samsung wants to reach ~99-100% sites completed since about  33% of the remaining site remains in this market and the Sacramento MTA. 

I'm guessing September or October for downtown, given the fairly recent increase in physical upgrading going on at key sites.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Took a couple of pics of towers in Rancho Cordova today.  

The first is on Folsom Blvd, 11800 block behind becks.   There are two back there, but I believe the first one is sprint and at&t.  While I was there, a Semi pulled in and started unloading a big ole bucket lift.   Will have to check and see if they're doing work tomorrow.

zUmWKYv.jpg

There are two buildings, one is clearly marked AT&T, the other is more nondescript.

K9Wo2kB.jpg

This is the other tower there.  Thought I'd post both, just in case I was wrong.

ro8bHFM.jpg

• Like 2

The second pair of towers is from Coloma Rd, around the 11000 block.  Again, two separate towers, this time I'm not quite sure which is which, but I'm taking a guess that sprint is the lower set in the first image?  Hm, I scaled the images down when uploading to Imgur.  I guess I didn't need to.

hdPT8lJ.jpg

797zCRA.jpg

Took a couple of pics of towers in Rancho Cordova today.  

The first is on Folsom Blvd, 11800 block behind becks.   There are two back there, but I believe the first one is sprint and at&t.  While I was there, a Semi pulled in and started unloading a big ole bucket lift.   Will have to check and see if they're doing work tomorrow.

There are two buildings, one is clearly marked AT&T, the other is more nondescript.

This is the other tower there.  Thought I'd post both, just in case I was wrong.

Second tower top rack. High capacity site with 2 800mhz/1900 mhz antennas per sector. Looks like one of the new antennas are being used with the old coax jumpers to the legacy equipment and broadcasting from it. 

Second set I'd say 1st picture top rack with the two skinny antennas are Sprint legacy. 

Second tower top rack. High capacity site with 2 800mhz/1900 mhz antennas per sector. Looks like one of the new antennas are being used with the old coax jumpers to the legacy equipment and broadcasting from it. 

Second set I'd say 1st picture top rack with the two skinny antennas are Sprint legacy. 

Thanks again lilotimz for the explanation.  Here's hoping they get to work on the tower on Coloma sometime soon.

Talking about towers - I've been using Signal Check Pro and am still a bit confused   I read through the FAQ, and understand the towers may squawk coordinates other than their physical location, and that you'd need to triangulate to get the "actual location", so maybe this is what I'm seeing.  However, Signal Check variously indicates that I'm connecting to three different towers that aren't listed on the map.  I'm guessing that at least one is an airrave in the housing complex nearby, but is there an easy way to tell?   I thought airraves were supposed to have an NID like 502.  In any case, here's the info from Signal Check that I'm seeing.  Does this make sense - and is this first one most likely a connection to the tower at 11840 Folsom Blvd?

However, one is identified as a sprint tower at 602 Kenosha Road, Rancho Cordova (on the Aerojet Property) .  

SID: 4183  NID 5 BID 602 (x25A) eHRPD ID 00840AC00000000B6C0A042A4E005A01

On google earth, it does appear that there "might" be a tower there. (Fenced area, white pole with rods sticking out), but Aerojet's a closed campus, so there's no getting down there to check it out.   )

The other signal identifies as 11434 Mother Load Cir, Gold River (which is a residential section with no visible towers.)

SID: 4183  NID 5 BID 584 (x248) eHRPD ID 00840AC00000000B6C0A042A4E005A02 

The third - 12085-12089 SIlver Point Lane, Gold River  (Again residential - no visible tower)

SID: 4183  NID 5 BID 346 (x15A) eHRPD ID 00840AC00000000B6C0A042A4E005A02 

Thanks again lilotimz for the explanation. Here's hoping they get to work on the tower on Coloma sometime soon.

Talking about towers - I've been using Signal Check Pro and am still a bit confused I read through the FAQ, and understand the towers may squawk coordinates other than their physical location, and that you'd need to triangulate to get the "actual location", so maybe this is what I'm seeing. However, Signal Check variously indicates that I'm connecting to three different towers that aren't listed on the map. I'm guessing that at least one is an airrave in the housing complex nearby, but is there an easy way to tell? I thought airraves were supposed to have an NID like 502. In any case, here's the info from Signal Check that I'm seeing. Does this make sense - and is this first one most likely a connection to the tower at 11840 Folsom Blvd?

However, one is identified as a sprint tower at 602 Kenosha Road, Rancho Cordova (on the Aerojet Property) .

SID: 4183 NID 5 BID 602 (x25A) eHRPD ID 00840AC00000000B6C0A042A4E005A01

On google earth, it does appear that there "might" be a tower there. (Fenced area, white pole with rods sticking out), but Aerojet's a closed campus, so there's no getting down there to check it out. )

The other signal identifies as 11434 Mother Load Cir, Gold River (which is a residential section with no visible towers.)

SID: 4183 NID 5 BID 584 (x248) eHRPD ID 00840AC00000000B6C0A042A4E005A02

The third - 12085-12089 SIlver Point Lane, Gold River (Again residential - no visible tower)

SID: 4183 NID 5 BID 346 (x15A) eHRPD ID 00840AC00000000B6C0A042A4E005A02

Legacy sites squawk coordinates off centered depending on which sector you're connected to. You can tell your on legacy by the NID. Any NID that is not 2xx is the legacy lucent equipment and will have incorrect addresses. Network vision upgraded sites will have correct addresses.

Legacy sites squawk coordinates off centered depending on which sector you're connected to. You can tell your on legacy by the NID. Any NID that is not 2xx is the legacy lucent equipment and will have incorrect addresses. Network vision upgraded sites will have correct addresses.

Well that explains it then.  Thanks again!

I live in Elk Grove and was getting LTE on my iphone 5 around town and getting nice speeds. I updated my phone today (##UPDATE#) and I swear my LTE is spotty and speeds are slower. Am I just imagining this or is this really happening?

I live in North Natomas and I with Verizon right now. I've been waiting for Sprint to go live with LTE in Sacramento before making the jump.

I recently received an iPhone 4S from my employer. I chose Sprint as the carrier. I realize it's not an LTE phone. Signal quality is horrible at my house -- I think every call I have placed or received while at home has dropped. On my phone I see either one or two "dots" of signal strength while at home. (At work in Mather right across from the water tower site, I get 4 dots and have no problems with dropped calls there.) My nearest cell sites are Sleep Train Arena, the one near Fry's, Gateway Oaks, and West Sac and I'm not sure which one I'm connecting to. (Maybe that's my next homework assignment...?)

To be fair, Verizon isn't much better -- I have two "signal extenders" (micro sites) in my home that I believe most of my Verizon calls connect through, and even that isn't totally reliable.

What I would like to know is whether or not I should expect better phone reliability and signal quality after Sprint is done rolling out its upgrades in Sacramento, or at least "cluster launches" in this area.

Note that I plan to get a Samsung Galaxy S5 tri-band phone for personal use, if that matters for call quality and signal strength. I also have option to ditch the work iPhone and use my own device which I will only do if I can have unlimited data and calls which I'll get with Sprint if/when I make the jump.

I'm somewhat resigned to having the Sprint micro site at home when I switch to Sprint but that is not an option for me until I switch.

Thanks, all...

I live in North Natomas and I with Verizon right now. I've been waiting for Sprint to go live with LTE in Sacramento before making the jump.

At this point it's unknown when exactly they will fire up the City of Sacramento cluster. They appear to be working down from the foothills to the city core so I expect them to fire up along to from Folsom to Rancho Cordova next and and then City of Sacramento or alternatively going from roseville into citrus heights and unincorporated sac urban county (orangeville / fair oaks/  arden arcade). Could be weeks or could be months.

At this point I don't even speculate. 

Anyhow. The new network vision equipment utilized will give a on average 5-10 dBm average (RSRP/RSSI) increase in cell coverage compared to legacy sites and 1x800 will be extraordinary increase in coverage. So yes you will get decent signal quality and reliability once they fire up the sites. 

At this point it's unknown when exactly they will fire up the City of Sacramento cluster. They appear to be working down from the foothills to the city core so I expect them to fire up along to from Folsom to Rancho Cordova next and and then City of Sacramento or alternatively going from roseville into citrus heights and unincorporated sac urban county (orangeville / fair oaks/  arden arcade). Could be weeks or could be months.

At this point I don't even speculate. 

Anyhow. The new network vision equipment utilized will give a on average 5-10 dBm average (RSRP/RSSI) increase in cell coverage compared to legacy sites and 1x800 will be extraordinary increase in coverage. So yes you will get decent signal quality and reliability once they fire up the sites. 

fwiw...spoke to sprint rep in downtown sac sprint store last week.  good guy.  his estimate for downtown sac lte was october-november based upon his contacts.

fwiw...spoke to sprint rep in downtown sac sprint store last week.  good guy.  his estimate for downtown sac lte was october-november based upon his contacts.

He's looking at glance which probably states 3 months out (it's either 3 or 6 months on the software that reps can look up things).

It can be exactly 3 months or 1 week or 1 day and it'll say 3 month or it can be exactly 1 day over 3 months and get lumped to 6 months. I never take that info for a fact as it's been saying 3 months for the past year. 

It'll be here when it comes here and I'm indifferent at this point. 

He's looking at glance which probably states 3 months out (it's either 3 or 6 months on the software that reps can look up things).

It can be exactly 3 months or 1 week or 1 day and it'll say 3 month or it can be exactly 1 day over 3 months and get lumped to 6 months. I never take that info for a fact as it's been saying 3 months for the past year. 

It'll be here when it comes here and I'm indifferent at this point. 

thanks lilotimz.  he seemed very sincere?  in any event he had sensible input re: upcoming sprint phone releases and did not attempt to upsell given that i am currently using wimax with galaxy s2.  will continue holding pattern as legacy sero plan is too good to abandon.

I recently received an iPhone 4S from my employer. I chose Sprint as the carrier. I realize it's not an LTE phone. Signal quality is horrible at my house -- I think every call I have placed or received while at home has dropped. On my phone I see either one or two "dots" of signal strength while at home. (At work in Mather right across from the water tower site, I get 4 dots and have no problems with dropped calls there.) My nearest cell sites are Sleep Train Arena, the one near Fry's, Gateway Oaks, and West Sac and I'm not sure which one I'm connecting to. (Maybe that's my next homework assignment...?)

To be fair, Verizon isn't much better -- I have two "signal extenders" (micro sites) in my home that I believe most of my Verizon calls connect through, and even that isn't totally reliable.

What I would like to know is whether or not I should expect better phone reliability and signal quality after Sprint is done rolling out its upgrades in Sacramento, or at least "cluster launches" in this area.

Note that I plan to get a Samsung Galaxy S5 tri-band phone for personal use, if that matters for call quality and signal strength. I also have option to ditch the work iPhone and use my own device which I will only do if I can have unlimited data and calls which I'll get with Sprint if/when I make the jump.

I'm somewhat resigned to having the Sprint micro site at home when I switch to Sprint but that is not an option for me until I switch.

Thanks, all...

There's actually a few sprint sites in North Natomas. The Sleep Train Arena site is just one of them. There is one on del paso past west lake, another on W Elkhorn/Northborough, one in the middle of the panhandle, another on the FAA tower by Fry's, and one more on a power line pole on I-80 between truxel and north gate. Looks like the Elkhorn tower is now broadcasting 800Mhz LTE

As said above, Glance is pretty vague. I know at the beginning of the year it said 6 months for the Sac area, but we all know that isn't right. There is a newer tool called something like most used towers which is supposed to be real accurate. I was told several months back it has Sac as end of June with the caveat it was not firm.

So yeah, whatever. I'm tired of things getting pushed back all the time. My phone and data work ok now, so I'm going to stop wondering about when

Thanks, all...

It should get better even with 2 bars of service.  During NV near my home, dropped calls everyone 3 minutes.  It was pretty bad b4, but now rock solid and HD voice is nice.

The downtown Sac Sprint store is the original store that lied to me about 4G LTE two years ago. Take whatever they say with a grain (pile) of salt.

Edited by jwigley

The downtown Sac Sprint store is the original store that lied to me about 4G LTE two years ago. Take whatever they say with a grain (pile) of salt.

that's not a corporate store.

Edited by ddimit