Network Vision/LTE - Upper Central Valley Market (Sacramento, Stockton, Redding, Eureka & Reno/Lake Tahoe)

iwalkthrowwalls

I personally still see a cluster launch in February / March considering the status of permits issued and sites already converted.

Sent from my Nexus 5

I personally still see a cluster launch in February / March 2015!

:angry: 

Just kidding!!! 

Edited by steveholtam
  • Like 1

its funny... I get LTE on my iPhone 5 downtown near the Capitol, but it has no data associated with it. Pandora hangs when I am on LTE. When I switch LTE off, it kicks me back to 3g and works great...

Normally when this happens my phone will fall back to 1x and then reconnect to 3g.  I think it caused by being in an area where the signal is too low.  

Text:

Sacramento, we're building you an all new network! See how this affects your service at http://sprint.us/rnr

Those maps mean nothing and are outdated, even the regular coverage map. We have 2 towers within blocks of my house that have been operating since last summer at least (not 4g LTE ) and even now on the coverage maps and the link above, it shows no towers

Those maps mean nothing and are outdated, even the regular coverage map. We have 2 towers within blocks of my house that have been operating since last summer at least (not 4g LTE ) and even now on the coverage maps and the link above, it shows no towers

I thought the map only showed current upgrades happening, not all towers...

So the employee at the kiosk in the mall here in Redding told me again yesterday that "An engineer" told him that the 4G is still supposed to roll out this month here.

Still don't believe him for some reason.

I can see that actually. Most permits have long been done and with the very unusually calm california weather I wouldn't be surprised if work didn't even slow down at all when winter came. 

If they do fire it up it'll be 3G side first and then 4G later on the sites that have backhaul available. 

• Like 1

I can see that actually. Most permits have long been done and with the very unusually calm california weather I wouldn't be surprised if work didn't even slow down at all when winter came. 

If they do fire it up it'll be 3G side first and then 4G later on the sites that have backhaul available. 

Is there a forum here that explains what some of this means? We have 3G up here (not very good in my area). Not familiar with the term backhaul.

Thank you for the response. I really hope it does happen this month. I've been with Sprint for almost 11 years and lived in Sac for six years with it. I'd like to stay because they've always been good to me and I don't want to fork out a lot of money to go to another carrier. Just bugs me when all the others have high speed 4G here, even Metro (they ride T-Mobile's). Also if I get crappy reception at my house will the 4G reach further than the 3G does?

• Like 1

Is there a forum here that explains what some of this means? We have 3G up here (not very good in my area). Not familiar with the term backhaul.

Thank you for the response. I really hope it does happen this month. I've been with Sprint for almost 11 years and lived in Sac for six years with it. I'd like to stay because they've always been good to me and I don't want to fork out a lot of money to go to another carrier. Just bugs me when all the others have high speed 4G here, even Metro (they ride T-Mobile's). Also if I get crappy reception at my house will the 4G reach further than the 3G does?

There's basically 2 main phases for the Network Vision deployment.

NV 1.0 is the complete replacement of all equipment in use.

Stuff like the old ground equipment, coax cables, and antennas will be replaced with newer antennas, remote radio heads (less interference and loss issue due to close proximity with antenna), hybridflex cables (combines power + fiber optic cables), and modular base stations that can equip any and all technologies today and in the future. It's during this phase that advanced backhaul i.e. internet connection is also ordered. 

As we are a Samsung market every single site in an area must be completely upgraded before they turn anything on due to hard hand off issues (dropped calls...). So when they're ready to cluster launch (bring up a whole bunch of cell sites at once) they fire everything up if it's ready.

First will be NV 3G which is EVDO 3G and 1xRTT on the PCS 1900 mhz that we're all currently using. Second will be 1xAdvance for voice / slow data on the refarmed eSMR 800 mhz spectrum which gives you coverage that's basically equal to Verizon / ATT Cellular 850mhz. Third will be activating LTE on PCS 1900 mhz if backhaul (high speed internet connectivity) is available. 

NV 2.0 is basically LTE 800 mhz and TDD-LTE 2500 mhz (Spark).

TDD-LTE is currently being deployed on existing Clearwire sites in Sacramento metropolitan area and other clearwire wimax markets and are currently independent from the existing Sprint deployments. Eventually every single Sprint site will also get TDD-LTE equipment but that'll be the latter part of the year. 

LTE 800 mhz is the refarmed Nextel iDen spectrum. It has characterstics nearly equal to Verizon and ATT LTE 700/750 mhz and will significantly boost LTE coverage and indoor penetration. All currently deployed equipment is already capable of this and is just mostly a software and a bit of hardware in the base station. Easy peezy but also requires advanced backhaul to be present.

Right now we're approaching the end of the NV 1.0 deployment with NV 2.0 starting. 

• Like 1

There's basically 2 main phases for the Network Vision deployment.

NV 1.0 is the complete replacement of all equipment in use.

Stuff like the old ground equipment, coax cables, and antennas will be replaced with newer antennas, remote radio heads (less interference and loss issue due to close proximity with antenna), hybridflex cables (combines power + fiber optic cables), and modular base stations that can equip any and all technologies today and in the future. It's during this phase that advanced backhaul i.e. internet connection is also ordered. 

As we are a Samsung market every single site in an area must be completely upgraded before they turn anything on due to hard hand off issues (dropped calls...). So when they're ready to cluster launch (bring up a whole bunch of cell sites at once) they fire everything up if it's ready.

First will be NV 3G which is EVDO 3G and 1xRTT on the PCS 1900 mhz that we're all currently using. Second will be 1xAdvance for voice / slow data on the refarmed eSMR 800 mhz spectrum which gives you coverage that's basically equal to Verizon / ATT Cellular 850mhz. Third will be activating LTE on PCS 1900 mhz if backhaul (high speed internet connectivity) is available. 

NV 2.0 is basically LTE 800 mhz and TDD-LTE 2500 mhz (Spark).

TDD-LTE is currently being deployed on existing Clearwire sites in Sacramento metropolitan area and other clearwire wimax markets and are currently independent from the existing Sprint deployments. Eventually every single Sprint site will also get TDD-LTE equipment but that'll be the latter part of the year. 

LTE 800 mhz is the refarmed Nextel iDen spectrum. It has characterstics nearly equal to Verizon and ATT LTE 700/750 mhz and will significantly boost LTE coverage and indoor penetration. All currently deployed equipment is already capable of this and is just mostly a software and a bit of hardware in the base station. Easy peezy but also requires advanced backhaul to be present.

Right now we're approaching the end of the NV 1.0 deployment with NV 2.0 starting. 

Thank you very much!

Just connected to a 1x800 site in Livermore in my room from Stockton hmm

Managed to get a screenshot but signal pro didn't give me th exact tower

Definitely plausible if the site is up on the hilltops near Altamont Pass.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

Definitely plausible if the site is up on the hilltops near Altamont Pass.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

Yeah I posted some screenshots here before when I connected to a 1x800 site about 40-50 miles away from altamont pass to Lodi

• Like 1

I thought the map only showed current upgrades happening, not all towers...

That may be the case with the upgrade map, but the coverage map doesn't show the towers either. And I have seen the NV status on these towers, which (like many towers) doesn't really tell you much, just next 3 months.  I think that's the default timeframe for all towers that are undergoing or planned for NV.

Like typical engineers, the tower ones are probably underpromising and hoping to overdeliver

In riverbank at work... Trying to find stuff to do while i have LTE here... Coming up blank, im just staring at the screen looking at the LTE symbol in awe.

that's good looking speeds too! Whenever I connect to LTE downtown its like the connection is dead... no service or VERY little.

Need to visit my friends in Modesto ASAP and map!! Any lte around the mall??

I wouldn't get too excited. I'm only getting LTE in a small part of town. They're probably just testing it. Turlock seems to have a lot of LTE though. I'll drive by the mall a little later today and update my findings. A few of my speed tests near Sylvan and Clause in Modesto already show up on Sensorly.