Network Vision/LTE - Upper Central Valley Market (Sacramento, Stockton, Redding, Eureka & Reno/Lake Tahoe)

iwalkthrowwalls

• Upper Central Valley - 35 updates (4 LTE)

Entire region north of sacramento and short of chico is now cluster launched for 3G. Also 4 sites 4G accepted in Lodi which means it's definitely going to be launched in the next launch cycle. Also the cluster for Turlock (south of modesto) is also 3G accepted. 

• Like 2

I live in the fair oaks area near Hazel and Madison. Just wondering when we'll see it here. For the past 6 months I keep hearing within 3 months. I know they are doing something at the tower behind the Raley's shopping mall at Madison and Hazel but don't know the status/eta of 4g LTE. Anyone have any insight?

I live in the fair oaks area near Hazel and Madison. Just wondering when we'll see it here. For the past 6 months I keep hearing within 3 months. I know they are doing something at the tower behind the Raley's shopping mall at Madison and Hazel but don't know the status/eta of 4g LTE. Anyone have any insight?

A cluster launch is required due to circuit switch fall back issues; see http://s4gru.com/index.php?/blog/1/entry-357-nexus-5-and-lg-g2-experience-temporary-sprint-lte-connectivity-issues-due-to-circuit-switched-fallback-technology/

Samsung / Sprint has stopped turning on sites one by one since july/august and is focusing on converting as many sites as possible. Right now sprint contractors are pushing hard into City of Sacramento and have a back list of sites to due (approx 20 to go) and not enough manpower to do so. Once most of the incorporated city cell sites are converted, the region should be good for a mass 3G cluster launch after which they'll bring up 4G LTE and 800 mhz services. 

Exact time frame is unknown but internally they expect the CSFB issue to be resolved within 60-90 days of november. The only fix for Samsung (our region network equipment vendor) is to physically convert the cell sites and bring the 3G side online so I'm expecting late january / febuary if they cluster launch the Sacramento + Unincorporated Sacramento county + Elk grove + citrus heights + Folsom + Roseville + rocklin at the same time. Quicker if they split into multiple clusters for the region instead of bringing 100+ sites online at the same time.

So if a site is only 3G launched their isn't upgrade back-haul in place correct? So once the back-haul is upgraded is it just connect the cable and flip a switch on?  

I guess what I am wondering if it is just the back-haul or if they have to do another round of testing and cluster launching?

So if a site is only 3G launched their isn't upgrade back-haul in place correct? So once the back-haul is upgraded is it just connect the cable and flip a switch on?

I guess what I am wondering if it is just the back-haul or if they have to do another round of testing and cluster launching?

3g accepted just means that physical work is complete and the equipment is installed correctly and functions within specifications. Usually they're broadcasting upon acceptance or soon after from the new equipment. Upgraded backhaul may or may not be used depending on availability but backhaul has mostly caught up by now in most places no thanks to the numerous commercial backhaul vendors in our region thanks to union Pacific and the interstates.

When backhaul is delivered to a site an Ericsson crew (or corporate sprint in a few months thanks to softbank) will come up and hook the new backhaul to the equipment and provision it. After that the legacy copper is switched off and the site will use the upgraded backhaul.

Sent from my Nexus 5
  • Like 1

Progress at Matley Lane, Reno. These ppl aren't scared of the snow. 

It's like a race between the carriers. 

YHcjKQZ.jpgqmBwkUS.jpg

AT&T up on the top with the Orange Boom Lift and Sprint working on the bottom using the Blue Boom Lift.

• Like 1

Ah so that's why the 4G expansion around the Roseville, Rocklin area has seemed to stop dead. After all the little expansions turning on around me, it still is kind of annoying to be stuck in the only area devoid of any 4G while being surrounded by it farther up the road (Auburn) and below (Roseville).

Is there any idea if the Rocklin expansion would reach Loomis by any chance, or would that be too much of an outlier to be a priority until the rollout reaches 90%+?

Unlimited LTE at my house would be a breath of fresh air from my increasingly painful 1.5Mbit DSL service(s).

Im pretty tired of my SG III and really wanted the note III but everyone knows what happend with that.... so what seems to be the best 4g phone on that will take advantage of Sprints new Spark network (when it goes live)?

Im pretty tired of my SG III and really wanted the note III but everyone knows what happend with that.... so what seems to be the best 4g phone on that will take advantage of Sprints new Spark network (when it goes live)?

Guess I'm not everybody, what happened to the Note lll? 

Nexus 5, G2, and htc one max are all excellent choices. I personally have a nexus 5 and it's a good phone. Haven't gotten any spark in my times I went to sac, South Bay, east bay, and downtown sf.

Or you can wait for the galaxy s5/htc m8 in feb/march.

Nexus 5, G2, and htc one max are all excellent choices. I personally have a nexus 5 and it's a good phone. Haven't gotten any spark in my times I went to sac, South Bay, east bay, and downtown sf.

Or you can wait for the galaxy s5/htc m8 in feb/march.

Thanks Luis I considered the Nexus and I heard pretty good things about the G2 but I may wait for the S5. since my contract is up in Feb, kinda sucks but then again its only 2 1/2 months away.

Thanks Luis I considered the Nexus and I heard pretty good things about the G2 but I may wait for the S5. since my contract is up in Feb, kinda sucks but then again its only 2 1/2 months away.

Should be great whenever you get a triband device as the eCSFB issues should be figured out by then alongside with the cluster launching of most of the market which precedes the activation of LTE & 800 mhz services. 

• Upper Central Valley - 5 updates (LTE)

- Camino, CA                     --- near carson road & US 50 offramp

- Placerville, CA                 --- near cribbs road & excalibur road

- Gridley, CA                      --- a tiny bit north of gridley on 99

- Oliverhurst, CA                --- smack center near the highway split between 70 & 65

- South of Yuba City, CA    --- off 99 on tudor road

AT&T up on the top with the Orange Boom Lift and Sprint working on the bottom using the Blue Boom Lift.

Unless there was more work yet to be done, it does not appear the bottom rack is Sprint. There should be 6 RF ports, there are only two. Sprint looks to me to be the very top rack, still untouched. 

• Like 1

Unless there was more work yet to be done, it does not appear the bottom rack is Sprint. There should be 6 RF ports, there are only two. Sprint looks to me to be the very top rack, still untouched. 

No that's Sprint. No other carrier uses Samsung SMR 800 RRUs. It's a GMO to full build conversion that's in progress as the site has already been accepted for 3G. 

• Like 1

No that's Sprint. No other carrier uses Samsung SMR 800 RRUs. It's a GMO to full build conversion that's in progress as the site has already been accepted for 3G. 

Well, from the angle they don't look like Samsung 800 RRUs either. But, could just be the angle. Guess I'll wait for an update to see what more work was done.

• Like 1

Well, from the angle they don't look like Samsung 800 RRUs either. But, could just be the angle. Guess I'll wait for an update to see what more work was done.

mhm... it's a Samsung 800 RRU and that Antenna is a standard NV 6 RF port antenna. You can see it on the right side antenna that it has extra ports that are still capped. 

Also who made the RRU cannot be questioned considering just how unique its looks are. . 

cjpxRSX.jpg

• Like 1

mhm... it's a Samsung 800 RRU and that Antenna is a standard NV 6 RF port antenna. You can see it on the right side antenna that it has extra ports that are still capped. 

Also who made the RRU cannot be questioned considering just how unique its looks are. . 

Sideways... with ports on the bottom. That's why it looks different. 

• Like 1

• Upper Central Valley - 10 updates (CDMA 800)

Areas where SMR 800 1xA should be up in:

-- Lockeford, CA

-- Galt, CA

-- Lodi, CA ( also 4G and 3G accepted meaning that it's definitely going to get launched in the next launch announcement)

-- Thornton, CA

& Also a surprise acceptance in Rancho Cordova.