Network Vision/LTE - Upper Central Valley Market (Sacramento, Stockton, Redding, Eureka & Reno/Lake Tahoe)

iwalkthrowwalls

Rancho city hall eh? Looks like we have a prime candidate to go visit the city hall clerk and request Rancho Cordova building permits for telecommunications / antennas!

http://cityofranchocordova.org/Index.aspx?page=41

Edit: Midtown and Downtown sacramento will not have much network vision work until at least september and october. Modification permits for roof tops take quite a while to get approved though I am tracking 3 of them (1 downtown - 2 midtown) of which one is ready to be issued. 

So I guess it's good timing. Been waiting for Sprint's LTE and also my contract with ATT wont be due until August 15. But then I'll be also waiting for the new iphone that will come out in September which means the iPhones will be available during December. Maybe during December, Sprint's LTE would be available then even if it's in a small area.  I'm located at midtown anyways. Even if it's 2mpbs, I'll be happy with it. (hopefully it stays unlimited and constant around 2mpbs)

Rancho is going to continue to be difficult, I think. Just looked through all of their permits and not one was for a cell tower. I did come across one Haz Mat Survey form for a cell tower, but I don't know how much that helps. And they only have permits accessible for this month and last month, not back to February. If you want the specific cell tower number and location for the Haz Mat Survey, let me know and I will pm you that info. Sorry I couldn't find more. I am still trying to map my driving routes to see if I get 4g hits, though.

Rancho is going to continue to be difficult, I think. Just looked through all of their permits and not one was for a cell tower. I did come across one Haz Mat Survey form for a cell tower, but I don't know how much that helps. And they only have permits accessible for this month and last month, not back to February. If you want the specific cell tower number and location for the Haz Mat Survey, let me know and I will pm you that info. Sorry I couldn't find more. I am still trying to map my driving routes to see if I get 4g hits, though.

Ah, thanks for trying in that case and yes, that survey will be helpful. 

We'll just have to watch the acceptance reports in that case. 

Im at UCD 5 days a week (not to try to out class you or anything lol) and I can say that my speed greatly varies.  I'm sitting at my desk, and its the same as right outside my office - .5 Mbps.  However, over by Mrak Hall, its up around 2-2.5 Mbps normally.  Still, I can be sitting in the exact same place and do 3 speed tests in a row, and I will get that variation.  Have you noticed that?

Yeah Im just there to use the 24 hour study room on the weekends right outside the west/east quad, but I have noticed that the speed varies. Im looking back at my speed test history and I took 4 tests straight and got 1.08, 1.45, 1.85, 2.34. The tests that I run cover the the area from the west/east quad all the way down 1st street to the Davis Amtrak station and it's rarely ever under 1 mb. I'll try doing more tests at one sitting when I'm there.

But as far as real time browsing and refreshing apps I have no problems at all when its over 1.5 mb. At this point I'm just hoping LTE can get me steady speeds over 3 mb and I bet I'll stop spending so much time on speed tests.

Ah, thanks for trying in that case and yes, that survey will be helpful. 

We'll just have to watch the acceptance reports in that case. 

I sent you the info on the survey. I looked up its location and I can try to go get a photo of it after I leave work this afternoon. Should I post the photo on here, or do I need to send it to a moderator first?

Yeah... I am a moderator... cough... cough....

But post it here. It's always nice to look at tower setups as every tower is unique and no two are ever the same. 

Well the SoftBank merger closed today with Clearwire, SoftBank and Sprint. And with iDEN down hopefully this kicks our LTE deployment into high gear

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk 2

Are there any sprint towers on the UCD campus?  I was looking through the permits at http://169.237.56.234/omvis/ProjectReview2009/smThreads.cfm

and saw that There were a few installations in 2012, but didn't see anything at all for sprint since '08.  

There is one located smack dab in the center of the campus on top of one of the taller buildings. It's the building of doom / lost hope / failed grades / cram nights / depression... 

There is one located smack dab in the center of the campus on top of one of the taller buildings. It's the building of doom / lost hope / failed grades / cram nights / depression... 

So then I take it there haven't been any known LTE upgrades planned for it?

So then I take it there haven't been any known LTE upgrades planned for it?

The City of Davis only posts issued permits and the last time they updated their reports list was for the Febuary / March / April time frame. I don't know what they're doing at this moment but I'm sure it'll show up the next time the lil city pops up their permit report. There's really only 3 full builds that serve most of the community so it shouldn't be too hard for me to find out.

That is unless people see contractors doing work..

The City of Davis only posts issued permits and the last time they updated their reports list was for the Febuary / March / April time frame. I don't know what they're doing at this moment but I'm sure it'll show up the next time the lil city pops up their permit report. There's really only 3 full builds that serve most of the community so it shouldn't be too hard for me to find out.

That is unless people see contractors doing work..

I called over to the City of Davis and the person I talked to said they don't handle permits for campus at all.  I'm going to ask around a bit tomorrow to see if that website is utd, but it looks like it.  If you know the name of the building, I may be able to get a look at it.

I called over to the City of Davis and the person I talked to said they don't handle permits for campus at all.  I'm going to ask around a bit tomorrow to see if that website is utd, but it looks like it.  If you know the name of the building, I may be able to get a look at it.

I have absolutely no clue which exact building it because I don't actually know as I myself can't find it via google maps.

It's on a rooftop of one of these buildings though or very close to these:

• Chemistry Annex
  • Peter J Shields Library
  • Physical Sciences and Engineering Library 
  • Chemistry Building
  • Dept. of Physics
  • Physics Building

And the waiting game........ I will be going through Rocklin by Blue Oaks on Saturday so I will do a little mapping and check out the towers by the softball complex to see if any work is being done there yet.

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk 2

Yeah I understand. T-Mobile already has 116 markets available with lte and sprint has just a little over that.

T-mobile began refarming in mid 2012 on their existing HSPA+ sites that already put out LTE-esque speeds. Their deployment is far simpler and easier than what Sprint is doing. It's also come to light that T-mobile has also been "cheating" in their LTE deployment by simply adding RRU's to existing sites to add LTE without changing anything else because Ericsson couldn't supply enough AIR 21 antennas. 

Simply, all T-mobile does is replace 6 antennas with 6 new & add 1 cabinet. That's all! Hell, sometimes they don't even need to do anything else other than add 3 RRUS12 or 3 RRU4 to existing antennas and they can get LTE up. 

Meanwhile Sprint has to do this -- Replace 3 or 6 existing antennas with 3 or 6 new, add 3 or 6 or 9 RRU's (depending on market), add 2 cabinets (1 modular and one backup battery), new hybrid cables up the cell sites, AND new backhual. 

Simply put, it'd be a colossal failure if t-mobile couldn't get LTE up faster on their existing HSPA sites than sprint. The biggest question now is what are they going to do with their non HSPA  sites. 

Oh, and fun fact. Sprint already has more LTE coverage in the rural areas compared to T-mobile  in Sacramento. 

I have absolutely no clue which exact building it because I don't actually know as I myself can't find it via google maps.

It's on a rooftop of one of these buildings though or very close to these:

• Chemistry Annex
  •  
  • Peter J Shields Library
  •  
  • Physical Sciences and Engineering Library 
  •  
  • Chemistry Building
  •  
  • Dept. of Physics
  •  
  • Physics Building
  •  

Well we have a winner! Building manager said he hasn't heard of any plans though.32nHR7g.jpg

Edited by da_kiem
  • Like 1

I was driving in woodland im wondering if this was a sprint tower they were working on itattachicon.gif2013-07-11_09-26-26_107.jpg

Give me the approximate location. That is a Sprint Samsung Network Vision setup right there. SMR 800 RRU on top and PCS 1900 RRU on the bottom behind the antennas.

If woodland is being deployed then Davis and the rest of Yolo county is not far behind. 

Edit: NVM - found the address on Yolo county GIS Parcel viewer.