Network Vision/LTE - Upper Central Valley Market (Sacramento, Stockton, Redding, Eureka & Reno/Lake Tahoe)

iwalkthrowwalls

Due to the massive heat session I didn't really leave my house the past week. Yesterday I went outside and swear that the data speeds was getting worse. My home internet went out (along with calling), so I had to use my phone to contact comcast. It took a good while to load their number and call quality was horrible. I live in East Davis which I heard is getting improvements, so lower quality at the moment might be expected; but I just wanted to get the news on what's happening in Davis right now. I'm kind of pissed as Sprint assured me (with their pretty good sweet talking) that LTE will come in the First half of 2013, after "delaying" the Spring release. Well no we are in July with shit quality. At least I could text people in my own home with AT&T.... 

And i'm still waiting on those pictures that you took to determine if they began work or not..

Doesn't help that Davis only posts permits once every 3 months. 

/shrug

And i'm still waiting on those pictures that you took to determine if they began work or not..

Doesn't help that Davis only posts permits once every 3 months. 

/shrug

About that... I stored them on my internal sd card, and apparently samsung phones have a tendency to destroy the cards... sucks that all my music was there too -___-. I will however see if I can go back and get some more snaps, as I said the hellish weather didn't really allow me to leave the house. 

About that... I stored them on my internal sd card, and apparently samsung phones have a tendency to destroy the cards... sucks that all my music was there too -___-. I will however see if I can go back and get some more snaps, as I said the hellish weather didn't really allow me to leave the house. 

I feel ya. The past couple of days the damn weather hovered around 105-110 with real feel around 115! It's a good thing that it's now going back to the high 80s and lows 90s. Much more bearable... 

• Like 1

There's gotta be two new towers live in Roseville and Rocklin/Lincoln.

At least from the Krispy Kreme on Pleasant Grove to the Target up at Blue Oaks, LTE is live.  Speedtest was showing about 8 Mbps down and I forget how much up.  6 maybe?

Also, the Whitney Ranch area of Rocklin to at least some parts of the Twelve Bridges area in Lincoln gets LTE too, altho it's intermittent on my phone.  Maybe it's turning on and off or that area is between a tower that has LTE on and one that's still 3G, but my phone keeps switching between the two in that area.  If LTE, I only get 1 or 2 bars (and only about 3 Mbps down and around 2 up).  3G I get about 3 and sometimes 4 bars (still with crappy data speeds tho).

Edited by codex57

Due to the massive heat session I didn't really leave my house the past week. Yesterday I went outside and swear that the data speeds was getting worse. My home internet went out (along with calling), so I had to use my phone to contact comcast. It took a good while to load their number and call quality was horrible. I live in East Davis which I heard is getting improvements, so lower quality at the moment might be expected; but I just wanted to get the news on what's happening in Davis right now. I'm kind of pissed as Sprint assured me (with their pretty good sweet talking) that LTE will come in the First half of 2013, after "delaying" the Spring release. Well no we are in July with shit quality. At least I could text people in my own home with AT&T.... 

Im at UC Davis 3 days a week now and the data speeds there are the fastest I've ever gotten on 3G. I average between 1.5 - 2.0 mb download all throughout the day. That's pretty sweet compared to my home in Elk Grove. The highest I get at home is maybe .8 mb on a good day (off of Big Horn blvd). Although recently its gotten to a steady 0.05 - 0.10 mb

Im at UC Davis 3 days a week now and the data speeds there are the fastest I've ever gotten on 3G. I average between 1.5 - 2.0 mb download all throughout the day. That's pretty sweet compared to my home in Elk Grove. The highest I get at home is maybe .8 mb on a good day (off of Big Horn blvd). Although recently its gotten to a steady 0.05 - 0.10 mb

Im at UCD 5 days a week (not to try to out class you or anything lol) and I can say that my speed greatly varies.  I'm sitting at my desk, and its the same as right outside my office - .5 Mbps.  However, over by Mrak Hall, its up around 2-2.5 Mbps normally.  Still, I can be sitting in the exact same place and do 3 speed tests in a row, and I will get that variation.  Have you noticed that?

I finally found this site after going into the Sprint store on Howe in Arden/Arcade for an unrelated problem and the guy there told me worst case scenario, we'll all have LTE in the market by the end of the year, but he said he is guessing within 30-45 days. So, I had to do some research because I don't always trust what the guys at the store say.

That being said, I live out in Rancho Cordova and my service SUCKS overall. I had to get an Airvana four years ago just to keep calls up in my house. I've been watching data capacity upgrades and everything on the Sprint site for the past six months, but nothing has changed. I frequent the 50 corridor between Rancho city hall and midtown for work. I'm going to try to contribute to mapping on Sensorly while I'm driving around, especially around Rancho city hall because I live within spitting distance from there. I'm more interested in improvements in the midtown and downtown area because my DL/UL speed sitting at my desk is 40kbps/140 kbps. Only one test, but pathetic to say the least.

Anyway, I'll try to help with the mapping progress and will try to post what I have found as I can. About to go move my car and I will run a map and see what I come up with in midtown.

Hmm, I live far off in East Davis; near Target. I can tell you one day I was in Fuji I managed to see a whole youtube video with only a 5 second buffering break in the middle. Of course, The UCD campus might get special attention so downtown might not be the best place to judge it, but I was happy with what I got. I sadly didn't check my internet speed there (to hide the embarrassment from my friends xD) 

-snip-

Rancho city hall eh? Looks like we have a prime candidate to go visit the city hall clerk and request Rancho Cordova building permits for telecommunications / antennas!

http://cityofranchocordova.org/Index.aspx?page=41

Edit: Midtown and Downtown sacramento will not have much network vision work until at least september and october. Modification permits for roof tops take quite a while to get approved though I am tracking 3 of them (1 downtown - 2 midtown) of which one is ready to be issued. 

Rancho city hall eh? Looks like we have a prime candidate to go visit the city hall clerk and request Rancho Cordova building permits for telecommunications / antennas!

http://cityofranchocordova.org/Index.aspx?page=41

I can certainly try. I can head there before I go in to work one of these mornings and see what I can find out. I'll get back to you.

Edit: My short drive between midtown and southern downtown gave me a whole lot of nothin'. Not that I'm surprised, but I thought I'd check it out. I'm thankful I have a charger for my phone in the car. That program is a beast on the battery life...

Edited by techiegirl

I can certainly try. I can head there before I go in to work one of these mornings and see what I can find out. I'll get back to you.

Much thanks. Rancho Cordova is a huge ? as they have a page for permits online that is incomplete so I practically do not know what is going on over there. We do know that work has begun though. 

Much thanks. Rancho Cordova is a huge ? as they have a page for permits online that is incomplete so I practically do not know what is going on over there. We do know that work has begun though.

Got something for you, might help might not.

• Like 1

Got something for you, might help might not.

I like the suspense....  Or maybe there's something posted that I just can't see. Damn IT blocking stuff at work!!

• Like 1

I like the suspense....  Or maybe there's something posted that I just can't see. Damn IT blocking stuff at work!!

Sorry about that, didn't mean to create suspense or anything :) . It actually has nothing to do with the conversation you guys were having. Sent it through private messages but it had to do with his permit map for sponsors and Stockton.

• Like 1

I frequent the 50 corridor between Rancho city hall and midtown for work. *snip* I'm more interested in improvements in the midtown and downtown area because my DL/UL speed sitting at my desk is 40kbps/140 kbps. Only one test, but pathetic to say the least.

I hear you. I'm still on the fence on whether or not I'll bail on my Sprint service because of how bad it is Downtown. I want to stream internet radio and it's just not available most of the time for me.

I only want to stream on my way to and from work which is Folsom to Downtown and while at my desk during the work day. I work across the street from the Capitol building and I can barely even check email or facebook. I have Spotify which is at least 160k per sec down and that just doesn't work ever when Downtown for me. I can't even stream Pandora, which I believe is about 53k per sec.

Speed test says I get between 100-300k typically but I am still unable to listen to either of my internet radio services. There have been more than a few times where I can barely get 32k down.

• Like 1

A permit has been pulled for a Sprint roof top site just a bit from the capital building down capitol mall. Don't know how long it'll take for them to get that permit issued. 

• Like 1

A permit has been pulled for a Sprint roof top site just a bit from the capital building down capitol mall. Don't know how long it'll take for them to get that permit pulled. 

What about that mess on the rooftop on N & 13th?

What about that mess on the rooftop on N & 13th?

No clue about that mess but there's no Sprint antennas there. Sprint is across the park and is on the rooftop of one of the buildings adjacent to Hyatt regency.

F

If it was a weak signal then it's probably from one of the 7 accepted LTE towers in the market several miles away from you in the sticks. If it was an extremely strong signal then.. hum... there is a sprint cell site at Rosemont HS on one of the stadium light poles. 

Edit: Sprint cell site is actually right next to the football stadium on private property. It's a multi-carrier cell tower. 

Well, as soon as I walked off the pool deck and walked toward the parking lot, it dropped back into 3g. Probably right on the far perimeter of the tower. My DL/UL was only 4.39m/2.17m.

Eh,  signal from the far away tower most likely. 

That's what I figured. If I'm getting blips here and there, it really is only a matter of time. I might actually believe I'll be on LTE by Christmas! I'll try to stop in to the building and permits department at the Rancho city hall in the morning and see what I can dig up. Hopefully they won't think I'm too weird.

That's what I figured. If I'm getting blips here and there, it really is only a matter of time. I might actually believe I'll be on LTE by Christmas! I'll try to stop in to the building and permits department at the Rancho city hall in the morning and see what I can dig up. Hopefully they won't think I'm too weird.

They're required by state law to show said information to any whom requests it. But yeah, much thanks. Look for applications / issuances after Febuary 1,2013 and post it here / pm me. I keep a building permit map of Sprint cell sites in the Upper Central Valley Market in the sponsor area in addition to having a map of all Sprint cell sites in the market.