My launch day s3 just died :(

mc_gusto

no root, no nothing. Lotta apps but nothing out of the ordinary.

Was listening to Songza last night. Woke up and my phone was off.

Booted it this morning. Booted fine. 10 minutes later it froze and rebooted. Happened 2 more times

Now its stuck on the Samsung Galaxy III boot screen.

Wouldn't even boot in recovery mode so I could wipe it.

Took it to 2 different sprint stores. 1 store said they tried reflashing it. no luck.

So they offered me to order a refurb for $50, is this the route to go? Or go into open enrollment insurance?

Anyone else heard of this with an unrooted phone?

Booted it this morning. Booted fine. 10 minutes later it froze and rebooted. Happened 2 more times

Took it to 2 different sprint stores. 1 store said they tried reflashing it. no luck.

So they offered me to order a refurb for $50, is this the route to go? Or go into open enrollment insurance?

I'd take the refurb for $50. Typically there is a $100 deductible with TEP.

I don't think the $100 deductible would apply to this type of issue unless there was water damage or a cracked screen or something. However, I wouldn't expect open enrollment insurance would cover a preexisting condition. Still, it's worth reading through the terms.

Fifty dollars doesn't sound bad as long as it doesn't extend your contract.

If you went through best buy. it'd be free lol

Wait. I did buy it at BestBuy I thought they only have like a 60 or 90 policy. Can i really get it replaced at bestbuy for free even if i bought it launch day (june)

Wait. I did buy it at BestBuy I thought they only have like a 60 or 90 policy. Can i really get it replaced at bestbuy for free even if i bought it launch day (june)

If you have there insurance

Do you have any insurance billed through Sprint right now?

If you have TEP (Total Equipment Protection), it includes ERP (Equipment Replacement Program) and ESRP (Equipment Service and Repair Program).

ESRP covers mechanical or electrical failure due to defect or normal wear and tear with no deductible. There is no limit to the number of claims.

ERP covers loss, theft, physical or liquid damage with deductible. There is a limit to the number of claims, as well as a deductible (currently $50-$200) depending on the device tier. An SIII for example is a Tier 3 device, with a $150 deductible.

If you have TEP ($11/mo) or standalone ESRP ($4/mo), your phone would be covered for what you've described, at no cost to you since it's a mechanical/electrical failure.

(I have ESRP standalone and it's covered faulty headphone jacks. I also just got a refurbished phone at no cost to replace my 13 month old POS Motorola Admiral that had major issues such as 2-3 minute lag for placing calls which was a combination of hardware/software issues). I didn't see the point in getting TEP which included ERP since I'm pretty careful with my phones, I always have a spare (old) phone handy as a backup, and it didn't make sense to have to pay $7 more than ESRP ($4) per month, which amounts to $84/yr + $150 deductible for a phone replacement ... I'll just suck it up and use an old spare phone or hit Craigslist/Ebay and find a Sprint phone for ~ $200 or less and call it a day if and when that ever were to happen.

I'm hoping you have, at the minimum, ESRP or TEP ... this should take care of you with no cost out of pocket, regardless of how long you've had your SIII, even if it's outside of the manufacturer's warranty.

• Like 1

ah ok. thanks. i think the $50 route is the best thing right now. I hope this doesn't extend my contract.

If you have there insurance which is 10$ a month, if it breaks or anything. THey send it off and if they can't fix it. They replace it with a refurbished (The same) phone.

If you have there insurance which is 10$ a month, if it breaks or anything. THey send it off and if they can't fix it. They replace it with a refurbished (The same) phone.

There is some fine print about this. If they have the same model in their warehouse, you will get the same phone. Otherwise, you will get the most "similar" model. I sent my wife's Nexus S off, and they said they might have to replace it with some phone I'd never heard of that was still running 2.3. Thankfully, they found another Nexus.

There is some fine print about this. If they have the same model in their warehouse, you will get the same phone. Otherwise, you will get the most "similar" model. I sent my wife's Nexus S off, and they said they might have to replace it with some phone I'd never heard of that was still running 2.3. Thankfully, they found another Nexus.

True but you can always try another Sprint repair center if you don't like the similar phone. I know one offered me a Motorola Photon when they didn't have an Epic (OG) in stock. Kicker was I had to wait until the middle of the week to get either device so I visited another store to get another Epic.

All together the process is a great value to consumers. Typically defective devices should be handled through the manufacturer so this is really a great service they offer.

There were some issues with the S3, you might want to search the forum, or the internet. Here is the one I was talking about!

http://thenextweb.co...hardware-issue/

"Users are reporting that the mainboards are the root of the problem and that the flash memory is becoming corrupted and failing, though the devices do seem to last somewhere between 150 and 200 days before dying. According to reports, Samsung is replacing them under warranty whether or not people have rooted the devices"

• Like 1

That's actually a huge exception to the rule. 99% of the time (or better), you get the same phone, even if it's on backorder for a couple days. The Nexus S got disabled for additional backorders for a short period of time due to a massive demand, but zero supply from incoming defective units or Samsung replenishment.

What? I've never had that issue even when 2 years ago, i sent my old optimus in and it got lost. They replaced it with a brand new optimus. They replace the same phone you had. And if they don't have it in stock, you just have to wait until they get an order in or go to the nearest best buy that has em in stock. They usually send it in, try to fix it. If they can't, they will send a refurbished one. works all the same really

I would love to send it to samsung and get it replaced for free. but might take too long. Dont want to be without a phone for too long. $50 to sprint isn't too bad. Sprint should be replacing them though.

There were some issues with the S3, you might want to search the forum, or the internet. Here is the one I was talking about! http://thenextweb.co...hardware-issue/ "Users are reporting that the mainboards are the root of the problem and that the flash memory is becoming corrupted and failing, though the devices do seem to last somewhere between 150 and 200 days before dying. According to reports, Samsung is replacing them under warranty whether or not people have rooted the devices"

This "sudden death syndrome" seems to be affecting the international version only. I wonder if this is what is going on with my phone and how widespread is it in North America.

What? I've never had that issue even when 2 years ago, i sent my old optimus in and it got lost. They replaced it with a brand new optimus. They replace the same phone you had. And if they don't have it in stock, you just have to wait until they get an order in or go to the nearest best buy that has em in stock. They usually send it in, try to fix it. If they can't, they will send a refurbished one. works all the same really

I mean, I've got no reason to lie here. I'm just repeating what the Asurion rep told me when we had to replace a Nexus S.

I mean, I've got no reason to lie here. I'm just repeating what the Asurion rep told me when we had to replace a Nexus S.

That's weird, i've never heard that happen. Maybe it varries in regions

That's strange man, My EVO has a 1 year manufacturer's warranty and I have no TEP. Mine started doing the endless cycling thing that many EVOs have seen a couple months back, so I took it to a Sprint repair store, paid the $35 for them to look at it and they replaced the device for FREE under that warranty (refurbed model of course). I actually had to get a few refurbed replacements for the refurbed replacements because they kept coming back with other types of issues and none of those cost me a dime.

You may want to double-checked and make sure you're not getting ripped off. :wacko:

Both sprint stores told me the same thing. They said its free if i go through samsung. But otherwise i would have to fork over the 50. Maybe its new for the s3. Not sure. can any sprint ppl comment on this? I also thought it was gonna be free for the replacement for 1 year.

Got it today. Looks great. Now to reload everything.

I can't believe they wont add tep and replace it. There is a contest in corporate stores that the reps with the highest tep adds win stuff. Or at least their is a contest in indiana/ohio/kentucky market corp stores

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Tapatalk 2