Questions about the future of NV

Hello Forum,

So my questions are:

Do current network vision panels support LTE at 800mhz?

If they do what is requiered to get them working?

And finally how long would each one of these sites take to upgrade?

Thanks in advance ;)

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Sprint in Puerto Rico is not apt to utilize SMR 800 MHz anytime soon because other licensees hold the spectrum.

AJ

Sprint in Puerto Rico is not apt to utilize SMR 800 MHz anytime soon because other licensees hold the spectrum.

AJ

Yeah, I read about that but if Sprint was to get the licenses what would they need to do to upgrade their towers? Install new panels? etc...

Hello Forum,

So my questions are:

Do current network vision panels support LTE at 800mhz?

If they do what is requiered to get them working?

And finally how long would each one of these sites take to upgrade?

Thanks in advance ;)

I'm not sure if the panels being used in PR are any different, but the panels I've seen all support 800/1900 1xRTT Voice/3G EvDO/4G LTE.

That being said, I know each NV vendor is using different panels, but I am uder the assumption the requirements by Sprint are the same for each panel, they just don't have to come from the same vendor. For example, Samsung is using Samsung equipment, Alcatel-Lucent as well, etc.

As it would require to get 800MHz working on a panel that support it is hooking up a new RRU to the panel and card in the cabinet to control it. Things like downtilt probably would already be figured out beforehand, and from what I remember reading, at least some of the panels being used actually support controlling downtilt remotely.

All of them I have seen support RET for adjustments.

Also the panels support any type of signal you want. Even AMPS ;)

Sent from my little Note2

Oh God, AMPS! I still get customers in here telling me stories about how they fled from Verizon to Nextel after Verizon shut down "the analog service". And now they're going back to VZW now that Nextel is being shut down...
  • Like 3

I'm not sure if the panels being used in PR are any different, but the panels I've seen all support 800/1900 1xRTT Voice/3G EvDO/4G LTE.

That being said, I know each NV vendor is using different panels, but I am uder the assumption the requirements by Sprint are the same for each panel, they just don't have to come from the same vendor. For example, Samsung is using Samsung equipment, Alcatel-Lucent as well, etc.

As it would require to get 800MHz working on a panel that support it is hooking up a new RRU to the panel and card in the cabinet to control it. Things like downtilt probably would already be figured out beforehand, and from what I remember reading, at least some of the panels being used actually support controlling downtilt remotely.

Would it take as long to upgrade the sites as the upgrades that are happening today? Or would it be a lot faster? Because I've read that on average it takes 2 weeks for 1 site to get everything upgraded. Would it take as long to upgrade it to 800mhz?

Would it take as long to upgrade the sites as the upgrades that are happening today? Or would it be a lot faster? Because I've read that on average it takes 2 weeks for 1 site to get everything upgraded. Would it take as long to upgrade it to 800mhz?

No, it would be faster. The main reason it takes so long is that everything is being replaced the first time around. It's not just an upgrade to start, it's a complete replacement.

• Like 1

Adding LTE 800 can be done in a day at a site that has already completed a Network Vision upgrade. It may take longer to inspect it and go live. But substantial work can be completed very quickly.

At a Samsung site that already has an 800 RRU, an additional RRU is not needed. However, at an Ericsson site, an additional RRU would be required. I believe AlcaLu sites will also require an additional RRU, but I'm not 100% certain on that one.

Other than the additional RRU, it's just another carrier card and provisioning.

Robert via Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

• Like 5

Oh God, AMPS! I still get customers in here telling me stories about how they fled from Verizon to Nextel after Verizon shut down "the analog service". And now they're going back to VZW now that Nextel is being shut down...

Why in the world would they do that? They did realize that Nextel has never supported AMPS and did not offer any analog airlink either.

AJ

Adding LTE 800 can be done in a day at a site that has already completed a Network Vision upgrade. It may take longer to inspect it and go live. But substantial work can be completed very quickly.

At a Samsung site that already has an 800 RRU, an additional RRU is not needed. However, at an Ericsson site, an additional RRU would be required. I believe AlcaLu sites will also require an additional RRU, but I'm not 100% certain on that one.

Other than the additional RRU, it's just another carrier card and provisioning.

Robert via Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

So should we see Samsung sites go live with 800mhz at a much faster pace than Ericsson and AlcaLu since they dont have to do as much work? Its just a carrier card and provisioning?

Why in the world would they do that? They did realize that Nextel has never supported AMPS and did not offer any analog airlink either.

AJ

These are the "I want a phone as just a phone, I ain't no damn computer nerd" crowd.

These are the people who had AMPS phones, and got told by VZW that their phones were going to stop working, so buy a new phone already. They got all upset and angry and went to Nextel, that other carrier that has "phones that are just phones". And now, Sprint is telling them their phones are going to stop working, so buy a new phone already, so they're fleeing again.

It's an odd cycle. Some people just want nothing to change, ever.

These are the "I want a phone as just a phone, I ain't no damn computer nerd" crowd.

These people need to be introduced to the Jitterbug, which (coincidentally enough) was probably a popular dance in their time, too.

jitterbug_08.jpg

AJ

• Like 3

These people need to be introduced to the Jitterbug, which (coincidentally enough) was probably a popular dance in their time, too.

jitterbug_08.jpg

AJ

I absolutely would recommend that phone to such folks... if our store could make any money off of it. Higherups don't look kindly on recommending competing products to customers.

I absolutely would recommend that phone to such folks... if our store could make any money off of it. Higherups don't look kindly on recommending competing products to customers.

I'm not entirely convinced that phone is "competing" with anything at all.
  • Like 1

I'm not entirely convinced that phone is "competing" with anything at all.

Do Oops! I Crapped My Pants compete with Depends?

AJ

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

AJ

Actually, the PR goverment agencies (Police, firefighters, etc) use the 800Mhz, they're moving to 700Mhz Digital band, thanks to the Digital Conversion, so they're freeing the band, and Sprint Have licenses for the 800Mhz. But USVI is restructuring the 800Mhz, so sprint need to wait...

Actually, the PR goverment agencies (Police, firefighters, etc) use the 800Mhz, they're moving to 700Mhz Digital band, thanks to the Digital Conversion, so they're freeing the band, and Sprint Have licenses for the 800Mhz. But USVI is restructuring the 800Mhz, so sprint need to wait...

Yes, Puerto Rico is behind the rest of the country in 800 MHz reconfiguration. But that is not really the problem. Sprint-Nextel does not control the SMR 800 MHz spectrum in which CDMA1X 800 would be deployed. North Sight Communications does.

http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/UlsSearch/license.jsp?licKey=6

So, public safety relocation to the 700 MHz band will not magically allow Sprint to utilize SMR 800 MHz in Puerto Rico. Rather, Puerto Rico will likely remain PCS 1900 MHz only for the foreseeable future.

AJ

• Like 1

Some people are speculating that the 800MHz rollout will be on 2014 on PR

Here Is The Info

Read the article closely. This just seems like circular reasoning, as the article is quoting our speculation here at S4GRU.

AJ

• Like 1

Read the article closely. This just seems like circular reasoning, as the article is quoting our speculation here at S4GRU.

AJ

thanks make me double check... i verify that on the FCC page, and yes... you're correct... Sprint will need to wait to deloy the 800MHz in PR/USVI

So why will they be able to use it in 2014 and not 2013? I've necer heard of this Northsight, does anyone have any idea what they do?

North Sight is Proxtel, your local iDEN carrier in Puerto Rico.

http://www.proxtelwireless.com

AJ