Sprint GPS Glitch Making Poor Guy's Life Hell

flycuban

http://www.lvrj.com/news/if-you-lose-your-cellphone-don-t-blame-wayne-dobson-186670171.html

4172.gif

Sprint GPS Glitch Making Poor Guy's Life Hell

Everyone Thinks He Stole Their Phone -- Including Police

A Sprint network glitch is incorrectly directing users to the home of Wayne Dobson in North Las Vegas. According to the Las Vegas Review Journal, an unexplained location and GPS data glitch is sending victims of cellphone and tablet theft -- and the police looking for them -- to this poor guy's home at all hours of the day and night.

The problem only appears to be plaguing owners of Sprint phones, who Dobson says he's had no limit of unpleasant run ins with as he has to repeatedly explain to them that he hasn't stolen their devices. As you might expect, the quality of his sleep isn't the greatest:

The problem appears to be limited to some owners of Sprint phones. Company officials said they are researching the problem, which has forced Dobson to sleep near his front door on weekends so he can answer the door quickly at all hours. "It's a hell of a problem," he said. "It would be nice to be able to get a good night's sleep."Sprint insists they're researching the problem

Wow… poor guy. This is probably made worse for him by the fact that he doesn’t sound particularly technically-inclined, so his ability to try to explain what’s going on to people who are already angry is limited. The fact that they’re mad and so sure that they’ve got hard evidence can really make for a dangerous situation.

What I want to know is whether whatever tracking service these victims are using show how accurate the reported location of their stolen phone is. For example, on Google Maps, if you don’t have your GPS on, it shows your location with an error circle which is based off of the surrounding towers. I can imagine this error circle being completely ignored by some (or even just missing in the tracking software) which leads the victims to go right to the center point. If some amount of error is displayed by the tracking software, then his nearest neighbor must be hundreds of feet away.

I wonder just how well the locations all of these victims’ phones match up. Some apps show your latitude and longitude coordinates to within several decimal places, and even with a small amount of error, two phones right next to each other might not show the exact same numbers. If it is a software glitch on Sprint’s side, I’m wondering if all of these numbers are the same, down to the last digit.

I'm concerned for this man's safety. The wrong person thinks he stole their phone, they could attack him or shoot him. Sprint could be liable. They need to do something stat. Tomorrow is not good enough.

Robert

• Like 4

Instead of answering the door, he should just put a poster explaining the issue and a no trespassing sign.

He has put up a sign. Read the linked article.

Now, I wonder if Wayne Dobson is part of the Dobson family that sold out DCOC to AT&T. If so, this could be his comeuppance.

;)

AJ

• Like 2

Okay, maybe this is just that vaunted "common sense" talking here, but, it seems like part of this is morons. Not to say that there couldn't be a serious issue here, but still. CriticalityEvent is on the money with that one - most tracking software gives you a pretty wide range of addresses when GPS is disabled or not working properly (most of the time when a phone is dead and they're going off of old info).

For the record, I just used Sprint's "The Protection App" phone locator, and after trying for three minutes, it simply came up with the name of my town. When I said "see on a map", it put me a couple doors down. My actual location was the faaar left edge of the (sizable) circle.

Edit: Ran it a second time, and it said:

Your phone has been located at:

MI

Great, so it's somewhere in the state. Lovely.

Not only that, if your phone is in a place you do not recognize, why in God's holy name would you go there!? Calling the police should be the first step, not running up and banging on the door, or trespassing on his property! That's the definition of "not safe".

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• large.unreadcontent.png.6ef00db54e758d06

• gallery_1_23_9202.png

• Quote from wsj; "The T-Mobile deal could be reached as soon as later this month, while discussions with Verizon on a separate transaction are expected to take longer or might not result in an agreement, the people said." "The rising value of wireless licenses is a driving force behind the deal. U.S. Cellular’s spectrum portfolio touches 30 states and covers about 51 million people, according to regulatory filings." https://specmap.sequence-omega.net/
    • From WSJ which is paywalled but they're reporting that T-Mobile and Verizon are working on a joint deal to buy and split up U.S. Cellular. https://www.wsj.com/business/telecom/t-mobile-verizon-in-talks-to-carve-up-u-s-cellular-46d1e5e6?st=qwngrnh4s3bcr76 — — — — —  Summary from a user in the Reddit thread:  
    • So, in summary, here are the options I tested: T-Mobile intl roaming - LTE on SoftBank, routes back to the US (~220ms to 4.2.2.4) IIJ physical SIM - LTE on NTT, local routing Airalo - LTE on SoftBank and KDDI (seems to prefer SoftBank), routed through Singapore (SingTel) Ubigi - 5G on NTT, routed through Singapore (Transatel) US Mobile East Asia roaming - 5G on SoftBank, routed through Singapore (Club SIM) Saily - 5G on NTT, routed through Hong Kong (Truphone)...seems to be poorer routing my1010 - LTE on SoftBank and KDDI (seems to prefer KDDI), routed through Taiwan (Chunghwa Telecom) I wouldn't buy up on the T-Mobile international roaming, but it's a solid fallback. If you have the US Mobile roaming eSIM that's a great option. Otherwise Ubigi, Airalo, or my1010 are all solid options, so get whatever's cheapest. I wouldn't bother trying to find a physical SIM from IIJ...the Japanese IP is nice but there's enough WiFi that you can get a Japanese IP enough for whatever you need, and eSIM flexibility is great (IIJ as eSIM but seems a bit more involved to get it to work).
    • So, the rural part of the journey still has cell service for nearly all the way, usually on B18/19/8 (depending on whether we're talking about KDDI/NTT/SoftBank). I think I saw a bit of B28 and even n28 early on in the trip, though that faded out after a bit. Once we got to where we were going though, KDDI had enough B41 to pull 150+ Mbps, while NTT and SoftBank had B1/B3 IIRC. Cell service was likewise generally fine from Kawaguchiko Station to Tokyo on the express bus to Shinjuku Station, though there were some cases where only low-band LTE was available and capacity seemed to struggle. I also figured out what I was seeing with SoftBank on 40 MHz vs. 100 MHz n77: the 40 MHz blocks are actually inside the n78 band class, but SoftBank advertises them as n77, probably to facilitate NR CA. My phone likely preferred the 40 MHz slices as they're *much* lower-frequency, ~3.4 GHz rather than ~3.9, though of course I did see the 100 MHz slice being used rather often. By contrast, when I got NR on NTT it was either n28 10x10 or, more often, 100 MHz n78. As usual, EMEA bands on my S24 don't CA, so any data speeds I saw were the result of either one LTE carrier or one LTE carrier plus one NR carrier...except for B41 LTE. KDDI seems to have more B41 bandwidth live at this point, so my1010 or Airalo works well for this, and honestly while SoftBank and NTT 5G (in descending order of availability) have 5G that's readily available it may be diminishing returns, particularly given that I still don't know how to, as someone not from Hong Kong, get an eSIM that runs on SoftBank 5G that isn't the USM "comes for free with the unlimited premium package" roaming eSIM (NTT is easy enough thanks to Ubigi). In other news, I was able to borrow someone's Rakuten eSIM and...got LTE with it. 40 Mbps down, 20 Mbps up, 40ms latency to Tokyo while in Tokyo...which isn't any worse than the Japan-based physical SIMs I had used earlier. But not getting n77 or n257 was disappointing, though I had to test the eSIM from one spot rather than bouncing around the city to find somewhere with better reception. It's currently impossible to get a SIM as a foreigner that runs on Rakuten, so that was the best I could do. Also, I know my phone doesn't have all the LTE and 5G bands needed to take full advantage of Japanese networks. My S24 is missing: B21 (1500 MHz) - NTT B11 (1500 MHz) - KDDI, SoftBank B42 (3500 MHz) - NTT, KDDI, SoftBank n79 (4900 MHz) - NTT Of the above, B42/n79 are available on the latest iPhones, though you lose n257, and I'm guessing you're not going to find B11/B21 on a phone sold outside Japan.