Best custom rom(s) for the samsung galaxy nexus

rwhittaker13

Hey yall! So i recently picked up a new galaxy nexus, and well knowing me, it was rooted, bootloader unlocked, and a custom rom was flashed by the next day.. well anyways, i figured i would say that cyanogenmod 10.1(AOSP) rom is one of the best roms for the nexus.

Performance:

This is a biggie for most people, so i will go into detail of why this rom offers great performance. First off, we have a smaller firmware size with less bloatware. Thats the number one thing that affects performace, even know the stock rom didnt have much bloatware on it in the first place. Second, cyanogenmod uses, and in most instances has always used JIT(Just in-time compiler). I have not done the research to fully understand what this does, but for my guess would be compressing running applications and data before sent to the processor, then when the processor receives the compressed(Smaller file size) data, it is processed quicker through the CPU(Do not quote me on this, it is only an educated guess). Along with the above features, new battery saving options have been added.(Mainly controlled by user) Cyanogenmod offers a performace setting that allows users to change the min/max cpu speed of the device(Does not overclock the device with the kernel installed with cyanogenmod, so no worries of smoke coming from your phone). It also allows you to change the I/O scedueler, which as i am still learning from my 5 years of custom rom experience, i would say it affects how processes are handled internally, resulting in faster performace.

The beauty

One of the big advantages of cyanogenmod, the many ways to make your phone the meanest device in the house, the pure beauity of cyanogenmod. First, the theme chooser application included with cyanogenmod allows users to download themes from the market(search cm10 themes) and to install them, and there you go, you can now theme every corner of your device. Just do not get the iphone theme... please for the love of god. Anyways, with the above performace options available in cyanogenmod, as well as the many other features, i think this rom deserves a 5-star rating! One thing to be careful with, do NOT flash a custom kernel that was not made by cyanogenmod, as the nexus is picky about booting insecure kernel image files. In other words, unless you want a blue screen phone with a bootloop on the samsung logo, be careful. Enjoy the thread guys! Feel free to comment.

True CM10 is good all around except the dialer codes but im on a 4.2 rom myself

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus Rockin 4.2.1 using Tapatalk 2

Very nice! Honestly, the phone just runs smoother with modded software. Battery has drained a good bit though. If i leave my 3G on for the entire day, my phone will die within five hours. If i turn off data, it lasts all day. Its a miracle what technology can do to us these days :D

Very nice! Honestly, the phone just runs smoother with modded software. Battery has drained a good bit though. If i leave my 3G on for the entire day, my phone will die within five hours. If i turn off data, it lasts all day. Its a miracle what technology can do to us these days :D

I have to keep my phone plugged in all day to keep the battery from draining too fast. Once I get back to Visalia, I am going to flash Ecipse ROM and check out the battery life on it. Will post my results next week.

I have to keep my phone plugged in all day to keep the battery from draining too fast. Once I get back to Visalia, I am going to flash Ecipse ROM and check out the battery life on it. Will post my results next week.

Alright that would be nice, thank you! Battery life is an issue with a good bit of smartphones now a days. I am trying to find an extended battery for my Gnex, but im not sure where to find a good quality one. Ebay is pretty decent at times, but there are some sellers that do not give you what you buy.. lol

Alright that would be nice, thank you! Battery life is an issue with a good bit of smartphones now a days. I am trying to find an extended battery for my Gnex, but im not sure where to find a good quality one. Ebay is pretty decent at times, but there are some sellers that do not give you what you buy.. lol

I know the EVO LTE, S3, and Note2 are an exception to this battery life rule. I believe the iPhone5 is on the list of exceptions too from what I hear.

Yes ill agree with that. The IPhone 5 has had good reports of battery life, as well as the EVO. The thing i do not know is the capacity of the battery used in the IPhone 5? I dont believe apple showed the capacity of the battery in the specs list on their website.

Yes ill agree with that. The IPhone 5 has had good reports of battery life, as well as the EVO. The thing i do not know is the capacity of the battery used in the IPhone 5? I dont believe apple showed the capacity of the battery in the specs list on their website.

Check out the bottom of page 2 in the attached document. It has the answer you are looking for.

This information was taken from a Mac App called Mactracker.

iPhone 5 CDMA.pdf

Check out the bottom of page 2 in the attached document. It has the answer you are looking for.

This information was taken from a Mac App called Mactracker.

Thank you for the helpful document. I will download it when i get home here lol

I just grabbed a 3500 battery from seido and solved my battery life issue that way..:))

I've never been brave enough to get one of those big beast batteries. I always worry that it will be too thick for me and I will go back to the stock battery anyway.

I've never been brave enough to get one of those big beast batteries. I always worry that it will be too thick for me and I will go back to the stock battery anyway.

Try having a 3500 battery on the EVO Shift. Phone was thick enough by itself. With the battery it was horrid.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus running Paradigm 3.0 using Forum Runner

i put the battery in(screw it) while i wait on their diagnostics to get analyzed. The nexus is now a good shape to fit in my hand..i kept nearly dropping my nexuws otherwise.

Ive had that problem at times too. I love how thin the phone is, but it almost makes it impossible to get a good hold of it sometimes.

I think i found the issue with my airave and my phone. Too much rf. me being a recent HAM i took a look at what happens to rf receivers when they get overloaded..and the symptoms matched what my phone was doing. I called up airave tech support and had them drop the coverage to 1500 sq ft. Keep in mind my house is 2500 sq ft. I then called airave tech back and held a call on the airave for more than 2 minutes. I've never been able to do that with the 2.5 before. I'm thinking the 2.5 puts out more power than they think it does..:)

I think i found the issue with my airave and my phone. Too much rf. me being a recent HAM i took a look at what happens to rf receivers when they get overloaded..and the symptoms matched what my phone was doing. I called up airave tech support and had them drop the coverage to 1500 sq ft. Keep in mind my house is 2500 sq ft. I then called airave tech back and held a call on the airave for more than 2 minutes. I've never been able to do that with the 2.5 before. I'm thinking the 2.5 puts out more power than they think it does..:)

Wow. This is very helpful to me! I need to learn more about this, but I never thought about that. As everyone else stated, the gNEX does have one of the weakest 3G/1x radios known.