Airave

Shahal

At the end of my apartment's lease I'm going to be moving to an apartment complex that I know beforehand does not get cell service for geographic reasons. Now I'm not worried about data necessarily because I can always use WiFi but I can barely make calls over there. I've seen that Sprint has this Airave device available. I have a concern that isn't addressed on Sprint's site and that is if it lets just ANYBODY connect to it? I mean it's connected to my internet and I don't feel comfortable letting just anyone connect to it. For example, I don't really want my neighbors using my Airave to tether their phones for internet use using MY internet, bogging it down in the process.

At the end of my apartment's lease I'm going to be moving to an apartment complex that I know beforehand does not get cell service for geographic reasons. Now I'm not worried about data necessarily because I can always use WiFi but I can barely make calls over there. I've seen that Sprint has this Airave device available. I have a concern that isn't addressed on Sprint's site and that is if it lets just ANYBODY connect to it? I mean it's connected to my internet and I don't feel comfortable letting just anyone connect to it. For example' date=' I don't really want my neighbors using my Airave to tether their phones for internet use using MY internet, bogging it down in the process.[/quote']

You can set certain numbers that have access. It comes wide open initially but you can lock it down rather easily.

• Like 1

You can set certain numbers that have access. It comes wide open initially but you can lock it down rather easily.

Like pyroscott said it's really easy. Log onto your sprint.com account, my preferences , manage my airave click on the restrict access and enter the telephone numbers you want to be able to access it. Done !

• Like 1

Sweet. Thanks guys. You've put me at ease about getting one now. :)

Sent from my rooted LTEVO running CM10.

The Airave does work and if you wait until your address changes, they may GIVE you one when you can call and say you have very poor service at that address. If you get lucky and they have Network Vision operational when you move in, you may actually have useable service. My local tower was recently upgraded. Before the upgrade, I had a -100 to -102 RSSI level in my home and if I moved, the call dropped. Now, since the upgrade to the cell site, I have a -95 or -96 and so far, no dropped calls.

That 4 or 5 db improvement fixed my problems and if & when they ever turn on the 800 SMR band, I expect to see 4 or 5 bars on my phone.

I had mostly zero bars with one bar occasionally showing until the upgrade. Now, with the upgrade, I have two bars all the time with an occasional 3rd bar. At certain spots in my home, I even see an occasional -92 RSSI level. This major improvement is not a new site, just an upgrade to an existing site. LTE is not turned on yet, but I fully expect to see LTE in my home when they do turn it on. Things are getting better and it ain't over yet.

I would also maybe call tech support after you get the Airave. Airave by default comes set to cover about 5000 sq. feet. You can have tech support adjust it down to the apartment setting of about 2500 sq. feet. Your neighbors might appreciate this too as it will avoid unnecessary interference for those other dwellers around you.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I've had trouble restricting access to my Airave. I've gone to the site mentioned above (my preferences / manage my Airave) but when I select "restrict Access", put my number in while excluding my wife's, her phone still connects. It's not the end of the world as I live in a neighborhood with a decent spread between homes, but I'd still prefer the piece of mind knowing access is restricted to my Airave (and more importantly my bandwidth). Again, maybe I'm doing something wrong, but has anybody else had this issue? I've found similar experiences when I googled it, but I trust members of this site far more than a simple google search.