Nex-Tech seeks 700 MHz buildout extension

gr8nuguy

Thought this was interesting when Rickie sent it to me, reminded me kind of the Clear-wire WiMax protection rollout.

Rural operator Nex-Tech Wireless is pushing the FCC to extend buildout deadlines for small 700 MHz licensees and mandate 700 MHz device interoperability, contending a lack of equipment is blocking Nex-Tech from launching its planned LTE networks in western Kansas and eastern Colorado.

more here

http://www.fiercebro...lity/2012-10-14

Thought this was interesting when Rickie it to me, reminded me kind of the Clear-wire WiMax protection rollout.

more here

http://www.fiercebro...lity/2012-10-14

I imagine it is quite hard for small carriers like this to get devices. However, when they bid on this spectrum, what did they think the end result would be? Seems that they should have seen the writing on the wall, no?

Sounds like Nextech should have joined with Sprint on their LTE plans and got access to LTE 1900 on G Block now and LTE 800 next year. They would be able to get devices, no problem. Buying that 700 spectrum was not a good idea.

Robert

Sounds like Nextech should have joined with Sprint on their LTE plans and got access to LTE 1900 on G Block now and LTE 800 next year. They would be able to get devices, no problem. Buying that 700 spectrum was not a good idea.

Robert

But in a few years other carriers will want all the 700MHz they can get and they might resell it for a higher amount then paid.

But in a few years other carriers will want all the 700MHz they can get and they might resell it for a higher amount then paid.

As good as that sounds, if NexTech does not build out before the FCC deadlines they will lose their spectrum. And when the FCC takes back spectrum because of not meeting build out requirements, you can never hold that license ever again. Very steep penalties.

If you can't build out per requirements, it's not worth ever owning it. The FCC may allow an extension if work is already under way or imminent. But in NexTech's case, neither is true. Because they do not even have devices and will have trouble obtaining any. It's not a good situation to be in.

Robert via Samsung Note II using Forum Runner

Buying that 700 spectrum was not a good idea.

Robert

Nope. I was reading about this a couple of weeks ago. Verizon sold them a bill of goods.

You're right too. Nex-Tech already has a relationship with Sprint. They should align their LTE build-out to match Sprint's. That'd be a win-win.

• Like 1

As good as that sounds, if NexTech does not build out before the FCC deadlines they will lose their spectrum. And when the FCC takes back spectrum because of not meeting build out requirements, you can never hold that license ever again. Very steep penalties.

If you can't build out per requirements, it's not worth ever owning it. The FCC may allow an extension if work is already under way or imminent. But in NexTech's case, neither is true. Because they do not even have devices and will have trouble obtaining any. It's not a good situation to be in.

How hard would it be for them to offer 1 mifi supporting it and just have protection sites like clearwire did?

How hard would it be for them to offer 1 mifi supporting it and just have protection sites like clearwire did?

As much as that sounds possible, I doubt they want to invest in the infrastructure to actually build it out if they can't monetize it. Only offering a single mifi won't generate much income.

If they cannot deploy something useful, then why bother? A big waste of money. At least with Clearwire and protection sites, they at least were active in 70 markets and deploying the protection sites only protected additional sites.

NexTech would have to deploy unusable Protection Sites that will generate almost no income. Also, NexTech population is spread pretty thin. They would have to set up quite a few Protection Sites to make the numbers.

That why I do not like small slices of spectrum like this in different band classes. It was a recipe for failure. AT&T and Verizon, through their participation in standard bodies, got their band classes approved. They can still just license Sprint's SMR spectrum and get devices, no problem. I think the FCC needs to do something because it will leave a bad taste in their mouth and they will not bid on the next auction.