Network Vision/LTE - Albuquerque market (including El Paso, Las Cruces, Santa Fe, Los Alamos, Roswell)

S4GRU

It is beyond pathetic. I always was told that ABQ was going to be one of the last markets, but I became really hopeful when I found activity last December. I know that when I discovered Ericsson working next to my home near Pojoaque last December 27th, I was shocked. And then with all the activity that started in late Spring with full builds, I thought New Mexico LTE was imminent.

But the backhaul has languished. Plateau and AT&T backhaul areas now live, but Windstream and CenturyLink backhaul areas dragging on.

At least there is a silver lining. By the time LTE starts rolling out, all the physical conversions should be complete with all the hardware in place. So LTE should spread much faster than other markets. But it will be little consolation now. :(

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

It is beyond pathetic. I always was told that ABQ was going to be one of the last markets, but I became really hopeful when I found activity last December. I know that when I discovered Ericsson working next to my home near Pojoaque last December 27th, I was shocked. And then with all the activity that started in late Spring with full builds, I thought New Mexico LTE was imminent.

But the backhaul has languished. Plateau and AT&T backhaul areas now live, but Windstream and CenturyLink backhaul areas dragging on.

At least there is a silver lining. By the time LTE starts rolling out, all the physical conversions should be complete with all the hardware in place. So LTE should spread much faster than other markets. But it will be little consolation now. :(

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

I agree that when they start turning on towers, the LTE coverage will be pretty good. Hopefully, 800 LTE is turned on at the same time. Might as well do it together.  Just my hope.

• Like 1

Do you really think the rollout will be quick? I think the only way that happens is if Sprint and CL are holding off on all the towers that backhaul in place and decide to go and integrate them once they are ready. I worry that CL may only have a couple sites with fiber done and that when those sites are turned on it will be a long time before more fiber is completed.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

It is beyond pathetic. I always was told that ABQ was going to be one of the last markets, but I became really hopeful when I found activity last December. I know that when I discovered Ericsson working next to my home near Pojoaque last December 27th, I was shocked. And then with all the activity that started in late Spring with full builds, I thought New Mexico LTE was imminent. But the backhaul has languished. Plateau and AT&T backhaul areas now live, but Windstream and CenturyLink backhaul areas dragging on.At least there is a silver lining. By the time LTE starts rolling out, all the physical conversions should be complete with all the hardware in place. So LTE should spread much faster than other markets. But it will be little consolation now. :(Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

Robert I know you are no longer in NM, are you aware of CL doing any back haul in NM? Ahas anyone seen acutual work done for Sprint?

Robert I know you are no longer in NM, are you aware of CL doing any back haul in NM? Ahas anyone seen acutual work done for Sprint?

Yes. CL is definitely working on backhaul. I ran into a CL field engineer a few weeks before I left NM. He was working at the Sprint site at I-25 and St. Francis in Santa Fe.

He at that time was installing the fiber termination box and a fiber pull box. He said he was doing this at several Santa Fe/Los Alamos sites. He believed that there were crews in ABQ too, but he said they were from Las Vegas. He said all the CL employees working on backhaul in NM are from other markets. Local CL crews are too busy on existing contracts.

He said he would install these fiber backhaul boxes. And when he was done, fiber crews would be scheduled to come in after that. He said he would be done with his work in a few weeks. That was early Sept. But he had no idea how long it would be for fiber crews. He said some places fiber was within 50'. Others were up to a mile.

He said the I-25/St. Francis site may be one of the first because fiber was nearby. However, they had not even started that site with NV upgrades when I left. It is on a transmission tower and may not be able to be converted by conventional crews.

Robert via Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Yes. CL is definitely working on backhaul. I ran into a CL field engineer a few weeks before I left NM. He was working at the Sprint site at I-25 and St. Francis in Santa Fe.He at that time was installing the fiber termination box and a fiber pull box. He said he was doing this at several Santa Fe/Los Alamos sites. He believed that there were crews in ABQ too, but he said they were from Las Vegas. He said all the CL employees working on backhaul in NM are from other markets. Local CL crews are too busy on existing contracts.He said he would install these fiber backhaul boxes. And when he was done, fiber crews would be scheduled to come in after that. He said he would be done with his work in a few weeks. That was early Sept. But he had no idea how long it would be for fiber crews. He said some places fiber was within 50'. Others were up to a mile.He said the I-25/St. Francis site may be one of the first because fiber was nearby. However, they had not even started that site with NV upgrades when I left. It is on a transmission tower and may not be able to be converted by conventional crews.Robert via Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Yes. CL is definitely working on backhaul. I ran into a CL field engineer a few weeks before I left NM. He was working at the Sprint site at I-25 and St. Francis in Santa Fe.He at that time was installing the fiber termination box and a fiber pull box. He said he was doing this at several Santa Fe/Los Alamos sites. He believed that there were crews in ABQ too, but he said they were from Las Vegas. He said all the CL employees working on backhaul in NM are from other markets. Local CL crews are too busy on existing contracts.He said he would install these fiber backhaul boxes. And when he was done, fiber crews would be scheduled to come in after that. He said he would be done with his work in a few weeks. That was early Sept. But he had no idea how long it would be for fiber crews. He said some places fiber was within 50'. Others were up to a mile.He said the I-25/St. Francis site may be one of the first because fiber was nearby. However, they had not even started that site with NV upgrades when I left. It is on a transmission tower and may not be able to be converted by conventional crews.Robert via Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Could these speeds be fiber?

post-13666-0-80008500-1386026254_thumb.jpg

Could these speeds be fiber?

Possibly.  EVDO will run between 80-120ms pings typically with fiber backhaul.  However, an unburdened T1 can run that low too in ideal situations.  But it's not common.  I used to get really low pings like that though off Osuna, west of Jefferson near the Calvary Chapel and also on the West Mesa near Paradise and Unser.

Robert

Possibly.  EVDO will run between 80-120ms pings typically with fiber backhaul.  However, an unburdened T1 can run that low too in ideal situations.  But it's not common.  I used to get really low pings like that though off Osuna, west of Jefferson near the Calvary Chapel and also on the West Mesa near Paradise and Unser. Robert

I Thought it was because the down loads are pretty high for 3G

Haha I wish it was CenturyLink. I need to go take a look at what kind of work is being done. I just know that I'm currently roaming over there right now. At the store it says it's undergoing network vision enhancements. Estimated time of repair is 12/12

So who wants to take a guess on when we'll start seeing LTE? I'm going to say around March.

My parents are already about to jump ship from Sprint, I've been telling them it's almost here for about six months now.

Brought to you by my Galaxy Note 2, Android 4.4 KitKat

My parents are already about to jump ship from Sprint, I've been telling them it's almost here for about six months now.

Brought to you by my Galaxy Note 2, Android 4.4 KitKat

I giving up saying its coming, I just say whenever CL starts getting their butts moving. After September comes and still no LTE, I'm going to have to look at my options.

I don't think it is 9 months away. Just like hoe Robert said. Abq was planned to be last. Sprint plans on being 100% done is 2014 summer. I fully believe that it is coming soon. I am disappointed but I know it will be good when it happens. My parents just moved back up to Los alamos and the speeds are ridiculous. I would be happy with that over lte.

I don't think it is 9 months away. Just like hoe Robert said. Abq was planned to be last. Sprint plans on being 100% done is 2014 summer. I fully believe that it is coming soon. I am disappointed but I know it will be good when it happens. My parents just moved back up to Los alamos and the speeds are ridiculous. I would be happy with that over lte.

Sprint 3G performs very well in Los Alamos. I never complained there. In fact, Sprint 3G runs faster than VZW LTE there at peak times. The North Mesa site runs over 2Mbps almost always.

Robert via Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I don't think it is 9 months away. Just like hoe Robert said.

Hey, do not get ahead of yourself.  Robert has not yet finished his degree at the Velvet Jones School of Technology.

velvet1.jpg

AJ

• Like 3

Hey, do not get ahead of yourself.  Robert has not yet finished his degree at the Velvet Jones School of Technology.

AJ

ROFLMAO!!!

:rofl:

Robert

Hey, do not get ahead of yourself. Robert has not yet finished his degree at the Velvet Jones School of Technology.

velvet1.jpg

AJ

This is awesome. My autocorrect is awful. Thank you for pointing out also that I did not proof read it also. Oh my I don't know where you find these.

I just looked through the maps and I saw all of the updates. Almost all of the updates were in the ABQ metro (few over in Rio Rancho).  4 of the sites I noted were in progress only a few short weeks ago. 

Also some stats:

-ABQ Market is at 50% complete (not including "In-progress" sites)

-Albuquerque Metro is at 31% complete (not including "In-progress" sites)

-El Paso is at 60% complete (not including "In-progress" sites)

-Santa Fe is at 44% complete (not including "In-progress" sites)

Overall, it seemed slow but they are moving slowly but surely.  Also, there are quite a few NM cities that are complete (i.e., 4 or 5 towers in the town and all have been updated and 3G accepted). 

Unfortunately, a 3g acceptance doesn't really mean anything to me right now. If we had new backhaul then it would be excellent, but I think we might just be getting these acceptances because the inspectors decided to come to town. We already knew that almost all the sites around ABQ had hardware upgrades. Here's to hoping we get a Christmas surprise and get a few lte acceptances in the next couple weeks.

Unfortunately, a 3g acceptance doesn't really mean anything to me right now. If we had new backhaul then it would be excellent, but I think we might just be getting these acceptances because the inspectors decided to come to town. We already knew that almost all the sites around ABQ had hardware upgrades. Here's to hoping we get a Christmas surprise and get a few lte acceptances in the next couple weeks.

Now i do agree that 3g doesn't really help us.  However, it shows they have not left the market.  Anyways, here is to a christmas surprise.

• Like 1

Velvet Jones School of Technology.

Wow, never even heard of that before...where the hell do you dig this shit up AJ?

Where?  My encyclopedic knowledge of Saturday Night Live.  Velvet Jones is a character from the early 80s, practically before my time.  But he is one of the legendary characters.  So, if you know SNL, you know Velvet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZVnve5wG0A

AJ