Network Vision/LTE - Albuquerque market (including El Paso, Las Cruces, Santa Fe, Los Alamos, Roswell)

S4GRU

Its officially been a month since acceptances in the ABQ market. I am now officially frustrated... What haven't thou forsakeneth?

I'm starting to get glad that I may get a job and get out. New Mexico is treated poorly and we treat ourselves poorly. My fear is that CL may have shifted work to Denver and Phoenix since they bigger markets when they noticed things getting behind... just my guess. Although, who knows if it's Sprint not accepting sites or sites not being ready. I wish we knew.

Sent from my Nexus 5

I'm starting to get glad that I may get a job and get out. New Mexico is treated poorly and we treat ourselves poorly. My fear is that CL may have shifted work to Denver and Phoenix since they bigger markets when they noticed things getting behind... just my guess. Although, who knows if it's Sprint not accepting sites or sites not being ready. I wish we knew.

Sent from my Nexus 5

After being in Dallas for a week, I got spoiled. It wasn't great but lte and 3G we're usable and good. I get frustrated looking at other fourth round markets and see the progress they have.

After being in Dallas for a week, I got spoiled. It wasn't great but lte and 3G we're usable and good. I get frustrated looking at other fourth round markets and see the progress they have.

What were the speeds you were getting?

Its officially been a month since acceptances in the ABQ market. I am now officially frustrated... What haven't thou forsakeneth?

There were two reacceptances yesterday. One in Albuquerque and one in Alamogordo. So, someone is working again. A reacceptance is a site that was accepted complete, but later was found to be deficient during integration. Hopefully they will continue with more.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 2

If they are using the same backhaul provider, it very well could just be branched off for Sprint right at the compound.  And it's possible this spur is being built for both of them, and they both already have orders in.  But the person doing the work may only know of one entity involved.  Did anyone find out who the AAV backhaul being installed for T-Mobile was from?

Robert

I saw the ground ouside the tower is marked for digging. Do you know the fiber requirement for sprint on its towers? I am sure that this dig is in relations to T-Mobile current upgrade. If I can catch the dig crew working maybe I can ask some intelligent questions and find out how much fiber is being run.

I saw the ground ouside the tower is marked for digging. Do you know the fiber requirement for sprint on its towers? I am sure that this dig is in relations to T-Mobile current upgrade. If I can catch the dig crew working maybe I can ask some intelligent questions and find out how much fiber is being run.

The fiber requirement?  Are you talking about minimum performance specification?  If so, it varies by site based on anticipated demand.  But it must be scalable to increase for future growth.

Robert

• Like 1

There were two reacceptances yesterday. One in Albuquerque and one in Alamogordo. So, someone is working again. A reacceptance is a site that was accepted complete, but later was found to be deficient during integration. Hopefully they will continue with more.

Good to know. I was getting a little depressed. 

• Like 1

Do you have an estimated percentage of sites that are reacceptances (overall, per vendor)?

Do you have an estimated percentage of sites that are reacceptances (overall, per vendor)?

It seems to happen most often in Ericsson markets.  But it is not something I track.  Especially since automation.  It has to be something that stands out to me (like a market I watch closely, like ABQ) for me to even notice.  Because if I get a 3G acceptance, and the site already has been 3G accepted, I don't actually log anything.  And now that the whole thing is automated, if the computer script sees something is 3G accepted, and it was before, it just completely ignores it.  And I'm none the wiser.

It is also possible, that a second 3G acceptance is related to voice and data integration happening separately.  Most of the time, they are integrated together.  But sometimes, they are not.  I have seen many Sprint schedules where 3G Voice and 3G Data integration occurred on different dates.  Especially in Ericsson markets.

Robert

• Like 1

The fiber requirement?  Are you talking about minimum performance specification?  If so, it varies by site based on anticipated demand.  But it must be scalable to increase for future growth.

Robert

I was thinking more along the line of type and number of cables run from the tower to CL. (If that is the correct way to phrase it) i do not know anything about fiber. Just was wondering if T-Moble runs their own will Sprint have to run a new and separate line.

Has anyone seen anything happening in the Duke City? Looking like they left us in the dark and rolled out of town.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

I'm thinking the same thing. It's very frustrating.

Sent from my Nexus 5

• Like 1

I'm wondering if CenturyLink is even the fiber people now? Maybe Sprint is trying to find someone else and was testing some of the work of others on these sites that got 800? Could be a reason to no acceptance.

I'm wondering if CenturyLink is even the fiber people now? Maybe Sprint is trying to find someone else and was testing some of the work of others on these sites that got 800? Could be a reason to no acceptance.

I don't think they would abandon CL this late in the game, even though it would be bet tempting. It still bugs me that Robert meet the guy installing fiber in Santa Fe a long time ago and we still haven't seen any live sites.

Sent from my Nexus 5

I don't think they would abandon CL this late in the game, even though it would be bet tempting. It still bugs me that Robert meet the guy installing fiber in Santa Fe a long time ago and we still haven't seen any live sites.

Sent from my Nexus 5

He wasn't installing fiber. He was installing the termination boxes for a later to occur fiber conduit install and fiber pull.

Robert via Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Still, bottom line is, whether or not it's the case, the result is we feel abandoned by Sprint at this point.  When the contract is up, if nothing has happened, I'm jumping ship.

I can't disagree with you. I debated to leaving to Tmo.  However, I travel too much out of to locations with no native Tmo service. 

I am willing to wait to June/July to reevaluate if Sprint is meeting my needs.

Still, bottom line is, whether or not it's the case, the result is we feel abandoned by Sprint at this point.  When the contract is up, if nothing has happened, I'm jumping ship.

You have been abandoned.  You should go to another provider.  Probably even worth paying the ETF.

Robert

sarcasm?

Sent from my Nexus 5

Yes and no.  ABQ and Honolulu are the largest markets in the country with zero Sprint LTE.  Sprint has lost and will continue to lose a lot of customers in these markets.  I'm not going to beg them to stay.  They have lost so many customers though, that when they do finally get it together, these markets should hold up pretty well for Sprint.

CenturyLink sucks.  I get that.  Many of the remaining communities in the country with little to no LTE are in CenturyLink markets.  But Sprint has other options.  Sprint and CL are closely connected, since Sprint spun off their landline business and it was later absorbed by CL.  Probably a lot of executives and senior managers closely connected to Sprint.  However, business is business.

Maybe Sprint is moving on from using CL in ABQ.  I don't know.  I think they should.  And maybe it's too late.  Or maybe CL is close to being able to start firing sites up.  I have no idea.  But I do know that Sprint is languishing in New Mexico.  And it is not powerless to solve the problem.

Robert

• Like 1

Yes and no.  ABQ and Honolulu are the largest markets in the country with zero Sprint LTE.  Sprint has lost and will continue to lose a lot of customers in these markets.  I'm not going to beg them to stay.  They have lost so many customers though, that when they do finally get it together, these markets should hold up pretty well for Sprint.

CenturyLink sucks.  I get that.  Many of the remaining communities in the country with little to no LTE are in CenturyLink markets.  But Sprint has other options.  Sprint and CL are closely connected, since Sprint spun off their landline business and it was later absorbed by CL.  Probably a lot of executives and senior managers closely connected to Sprint.  However, business is business.

Maybe Sprint is moving on from using CL in ABQ.  I don't know.  I think they should.  And maybe it's too late.  Or maybe CL is close to being able to start firing sites up.  I have no idea.  But I do know that Sprint is languishing in New Mexico.  And it is not powerless to solve the problem.

Robert

Not planning to jump that quickly, as the ETF is rough, though doable.  However, knowing what you do know about the other providers in the Albuquerque area Robert, if you still lived here and had no ETF's to think about, who would you go with for the best data speeds, voice/call quality are actually not the most important factor to me?

I have been waiting for LTE for two years now. We are now on the backside of the NV upgrade I do not think another six months is all that long. And now that I have cut my cell bill by $80/m on the new Framily plan I am not going to sweat the wait for LTE. 98% of my data is wifi anyway. As son. As LTE is lit up everyone will be screaming for Sprint Spark. then once that is out everybody will be screaming the the next best thing. They way I see it you will always be waiting for something.

• Like 1

Not planning to jump that quickly, as the ETF is rough, though doable.  However, knowing what you do know about the other providers in the Albuquerque area Robert, if you still lived here and had no ETF's to think about, who would you go with for the best data speeds, voice/call quality are actually not the most important factor to me?

It really depends on where you go and how you use your service.  Tmo works very well in ABQ, except it does have patchy indoor coverage in places in between towers.  Tmo is fairly good in Santa Fe, except for one big glaring coverage hole in the middle of Cerrillos.  Everywhere else in Central and Northern New Mexico, Tmo is awful.  Shoot yourself in the head awful.  Using Tmo in Espanola, Farmington, Los Alamos, Santa Rosa, Clovis, Las Vegas, Taos, any of these places and you will go bat shit stupid.  Coverage is spotty and EDGE data speeds are awful.  Usually less than 100kbps.  Whereas Sprint 3G works really well in most places in New Mexico outside the city.

AT&T offers pretty good coverage, and their HSPA+ and LTE speeds are good.  However, AT&T shows a lot of native coverage that is actually EDGE roaming on Commnet.  However, AT&T is only on Commnet mostly in rural areas between cities/towns.  The only notable exception is Los Alamos, where most of the city is on EDGE.

Verizon is by far the best in coverage in North & Central New Mexico.  However, speeds were dropping fast in many places.  Some parts of Farmington were below 1Mbps.  I don't know if VZW has started any AWS deployments in New Mexico.  But they need to.

If Verizon is within your budget, that's who I'd recommend if you cannot wait for Sprint.  However, AT&T is a good option if cost matters.  AT&T is getting dirt cheap if you buy your phone.  They have lowered most of their pricing to match or get close to Tmo.  But AT&T has the least options to deploy faster LTE (like 20MHz channels).  Tmo is only a good option for city folks, and don't need to do anything but text or call when outside the city.  Tmo's high speed networks literally die out within a few hundred feet of each city edge.  Also, indoor coverage on Tmo can be really poor in places.

Good luck!

Robert

• Like 1