4G to 3G to 4G

4G LTE is very good now in the Lake County area north of Lake Cook Rd. for the past week. However, can someone explain the technology between switching from 3G to 4G LTE? When I enter a building from a well saturated area of LTE outside with no issues driving for about 20 minutes connected to super fast LTE, and then when I enter the building it goes to 3G. This is understandable when in the building. However, when I come out and take the same route home there is no connection to LTE at all. It only works if I cycle through LTE/CDMA or update the PRL list. Isn't this suppose to be the opposite of the WiMAX disaster? Can someone take me through the technology? FYI this is a well saturated area of 4G LTE with no issues outside for 1 week now. I am interested on how this new technology will work with Network Vision. Thank you.

You have a weak LTE signal when you walk indoors, you just don't realize it. Read this thread: http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/2040-bars-lie-for-lte-signal-strength-how-to-determine-your-actual-lte-signal-strength/

Though you have decent LTE coverage, it is nowhere near as dense yet as the 3G network. LTE is nowhere near complete in Lake County and not ready to compare to WiMax yet.

Robert via Samsung Galaxy S-III 32GB using Forum Runner

• Like 1

I am in an area that is getting 30 mpbs down and 10 up consistently. When I leave the building and go outside it does not connect to 3G unless I do the above specified. I understand the signal strength meter is for voice. I read that post recently.

Edited by abepilot

I am in an area that is getting 30 mpbs down and 10 up consistently. When I leave the building and go outside it does not connect to 3G unless I do the above specified. I understand the signal strength meter is for voice. I read that post recently.

If you have a strong LTE signal outdoors and no signal indoors, then it is your building.

I can tell you based on our observations, going indoors produced a 8 to 12 dBm signal reduction. A strong LTE signal of approx -90dBm would be reduced to -102dBm RSRP, a way more than usable LTE signal.

If you are losing more than 12dBm going inside, then you are going into a building that is affecting signal way more than normal. And some building types are just brutal to RF.

If you have a strong LTE signal outdoors and no signal indoors, then it is your building.

I can tell you based on our observations, going indoors produced a 8 to 12 dBm signal reduction. A strong LTE signal of approx -90dBm would be reduced to -102dBm RSRP, a way more than usable LTE signal.

If you are losing more than 12dBm going inside, then you are going into a building that is affecting signal way more than normal. And some building types are just brutal to RF.

Actually, Robert, it doesn't seem like he has a problem with losing his signal indoors. He expects it and is OK with it. His problem is that when he leaves the building and is now in a well-saturated LTE area outdoors, his phone is not reconnecting to LTE.

Actually, Robert, it doesn't seem like he has a problem with losing his signal indoors. He expects it and is OK with it. His problem is that when he leaves the building and is now in a well-saturated LTE area outdoors, his phone is not reconnecting to LTE.

He says his device goes to the 3G when he goes indoors, thus he loses LTE when he goes indoors. Two separate issues.

Most Sprint LTE devices are having issues of connecting to LTE automatically when they come into a new LTE area. When he goes back outside, it is the same as driving into a new area. He has to force the device to scan for LTE, via airplane mode or PRL update. The scan timers are set pretty far out to preserve battery life.

However, the iPhone 5 seems to have its scan set at much shorter intervals, and people connect to LTE much faster when coming into a coverage area. The GS3 is a little slower than the iPhone, the GNex and LG Viper slower still, and the EVO LTE almost always has to have a force scan.

Robert

He says his device goes to the 3G when he goes indoors, thus he loses LTE when he goes indoors. Two separate issues.

Robert

Yes, but he says that that's not his problem.

4G LTE is very good now in the Lake County area north of Lake Cook Rd. for the past week. However, can someone explain the technology between switching from 3G to 4G LTE? When I enter a building from a well saturated area of LTE outside with no issues driving for about 20 minutes connected to super fast LTE, and then when I enter the building it goes to 3G. This is understandable when in the building. However, when I come out and take the same route home there is no connection to LTE at all. It only works if I cycle through LTE/CDMA or update the PRL list. Isn't this suppose to be the opposite of the WiMAX disaster? Can someone take me through the technology? FYI this is a well saturated area of 4G LTE with no issues outside for 1 week now. I am interested on how this new technology will work with Network Vision. Thank you.

His problem is that his phone is not reconnecting to LTE when he leaves the building.

Edit: Robert's edit addressed the issue. Disregard this.

Edit 2: Maybe it's the difference in devices or the ROM I'm using, but I don't usually have trouble connecting to LTE as soon as I reach an LTE area. Maybe my device is just scanning at the right time.

Edited by EndlessDissent

Let me clarify my original post. I don't care about LTE in a building. I use Wi-Fi when inside my home and business. When I leave the building it simply connects to 3G and not LTE unless I do what I originally posted. Airplane mode,update PRL,or cycle LTE/CDMA radio. This is a very strong -75to-85 dB LTE area. I get 30 + down and 10+ up. I have a Galaxy Nexus LTE with Jelly Bean 4.1.1.

Edited by abepilot

Yes, but he says that that's not his problem.

Today was a difficult day for me to run the board. I had to do all my site reading via a wireless connection and on my phone during work meetings, going through dozens of PM's and posts. I rushed quickly through this one and missed some important details in the OP. In retrospect after going back and re-reading the post, I finally absorbed the original point.

I just saw going inside building lost LTE, and why is this different than the WiMax debacle when I initially read the post. Thank you both for your patience.

Robert

Let me clarify my original post. I don't care about LTE in a building. I use when inside my home and business. When I leave the building it simply connects to 3G and not LTE unless I do what I originally posted. Airplane mode,update PRL,or cycle LTE/CDMA radio. This is a very strong -75to-85 dB LTE area. I get 30 + down and 10+ up. I have a Galaxy Nexus LTE with Jelly Bean 4.1.1.

I have answered your question above. http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/2215-4g-to-3g-to-4g/page__view__findpost__p__51829

Robert

When I have my EVO 3D, I get 4G inside my building. Now only 3G on my HTC 4G LTE phone.

This is weak LTE signal and not LTE penetration right?

Because WiMax is a full deployment in your area and the nearest WiMax site to you is much closer than the nearest LTE site is now. As the deployment completes in Atlanta, you will find LTE coverage to be far superior to WiMax.

Robert

• Like 1

Because WiMax is a full deployment in your area and the nearest WiMax site to you is much closer than the nearest LTE site is now. As the deployment completes in Atlanta, you will find LTE coverage to be far superior to WiMax.

Robert

Thanks Robert. Once I get LTE inside my office bulding, my life will come full circle. I already got consistant LTE at my house.

• Like 1

Once I get LTE inside my office bulding, my life will come full circle.

Sing along...

It's the Circle of LTE

And it moves us all

Through despair and hope

Through faith and love

Till we find our place

On the path unwinding

In the Circle

The Circle of LTE

AJ

• Like 1

That would have been so much more effective if you'd have edited out Simba and Photoshopped in an LTE panel or something.

We have converted you! Welcome to the Club. You are now a certified Wireless Dork!!!

Robert

Followup challenge (emphasis on challenge because I think it'd be a bit more difficult): Photoshops of a couple animal shots in the valley below with cellphones.

For an assist, see the intro vid here: http://youtu.be/4sqP9RpVR0E?t=3m

Probably would have to limit it to either the elephant trunks or excited chimps...zebras wouldn't really work well *g*

• Like 1