Network Vision/LTE - Tampa Market

Feech

In case anyone is wondering where all those towers photos went, Majorzaid has just created a thread over in the Sponsor's forum with all of the excellent photos. In an effort to keep this thread a little more streamlined, the photos have been moved over there. Now back to your regularly scheduled Tampa tower talk.

Just saw a blue pickup truck driving out of

5229 Gunn Highway, Tampa

I was driving on fumes and didn't have my glasses on to see if anything was going on. I know the site is marked as owned by the water district so it could have been unrelated. It's also an internal flagpole mono tower so its hard to ever see if there is anything ever going on here. Theres a very tall tower that just had a bunch of trees cleared recently a stones throw away, I'd think they would upgrade that tower first but who knows.

In case anyone is wondering where all those towers photos went, Majorzaid has just created a thread over in the Sponsor's forum with all of the excellent photos. In an effort to keep this thread a little more streamlined, the photos have been moved over there. Now back to your regularly scheduled Tampa tower talk.

In case anyone wants to look at, or add any Sprint tower photos, the new thread is located here:

> http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/2935-photos-of-sprint-towers-in-the-tampa-bay-area/

You'll need to be a Sponsor to access the new thread. Believe me, access to content like this, and to the interactive maps is well worth a few bucks...

OK I need help. I'm not sure if anyone looks at the Sensorly map more than me, but I'm hoping someone does. I think something has changed.

Park and Gandy now looks like tracks head further out east than when I mapped on the 1st.

Tracks at NE High that I haven't see I don't think.

49th and 54th seem to be darker by Northside Hospital

2 blobs (one earlier today) at the St. Pete/Clearwater airport.

Between 49th and 34th there is a blob

Its at University Community Hospital

That's the points I mapped on the 6th floor of the hospital. Also, University Hospital is now called Florida Hospital Tampa, as it has new owners. Kind of a pain, as I still always want to call it University Hospital too...

My wife will be happy, that is the one near where she works.

I should have waited before I said it was live. I still believe it is though and here the reasons why. I was able to pick up the tower on 66th and 54th and I took 54th all the way to 49th, streaming a HD movie trailer. That was more by accident than anything else and this is a lesson that if you see a Camry go the other way cuz I am a danger on the road.

I was able to stream with no issues all the way to the 49th st site with no stutter, loading, or lag perfectly. From driving this route just the other day, normally LTE would drop off when I made the turn onto 49th. Today it held and handed off to the 49th site. My signal strength at the site was as good as -79dbm as I drove that area. I'm thinking they must have done something to the downtilt on 54th/66th. I have been able to drive west and east on 70th street and hold that signal from 54th it was weak but I was able to hold it until it was almost unusable. This time though it dropped off as I headed west. I think the reason for this is because the handoff tower would have been at Park st, but obviously it isn't being worked on yet.

The only reason I pause is because Sensorly is not showing the marker as dark as I thought it would but still adding everything else up I believe its live.

Did one of you guys map on the Courtney Campbell today? I'm curious as to where that LTE is actually coming from since there is so much open space out there.

You know what I'm finding out? If its near water, don't bother. All bets are off. Not sure what the effect it but the propagation of the signal gets wacky. It makes you have real respect for these engineers

• Like 1

@ Feech,

The blobs at PIE (airport acronym) airport aka St Pete Clearwater Airport were mapped by me when I was there. I also mapped the "staircase" you see in Dunedin. I believe that is all from the megatower on Main Street in Dunedin. I have been getting LTE everywhere in Dunedin and at the airport. 25mb down on Lake Haven. ^-^ Sweetness. (Mind you I have stuck with Sprint since 1996 so its payback time!)

post-9354-0-40217700-1357257153_thumb.png

Edited by michjg
  • Like 1

@ Feech,

The blobs at PIE (airport acronym) airport aka St Pete Clearwater Airport were mapped by me when I was there. I also mapped the "staircase" you see in Dunedin. I believe that is all from the megatower on Main Street in Dunedin. I have been getting LTE everywhere in Dunedin and at the airport. 25mb down on Lake Haven. ^-^ Sweetness. (Mind you I have stuck with Sprint since 1996 so its payback time!)

Thanks man. I went over there today and couldn't connect for the life of me at the airport. Actually left work to go over there. What was your coverage like at the airport? You are doing a great job in Dunedin, coverage looks great so far. Do you really think that tower is blowing all the way to Clearwater?

If you go to the restaurant at the airport upstairs or in baggage claim then you get good signal but only around 4-5mb down. It would be good to organize but i am just glad to have 4g after having paid the extra "$10" for premium data. Had an LTE fon since they came out in the hopes sprint would move. Well, a little under 2 years later FINALLY getting some love. This Sensorly program could be set up to not constantly overpaint the map but I am not in the know on android programs. Make sure you toggle either airplane mode or the cdma - cdma/lte toggles and that should kick you in to receiving the 4g at least where I have been.

I was just looking at sensory, and it's truely amazing to see the amount of work sprint is putting into their network. We are so focused on the bay area that I don't think some of us don't appreciate what sprint is doing. I see Gainsville got their first tower lit up. There's a couple towers in Orlando going. And of course up and down the east coast. I even see New Orleans got their first tower. I know sprint put themselves behind the 8 ball, but it's clear that they want to give us the best possible network as soon as can humanly be done. I just thought it was cool to look at sensory and see how far sprint has come in a few months.