Network Vision/LTE - Tampa Market

Feech

I hope something g is about to happen my speeds have gone to shit

This past few weeks. I hate paying for premium data and don't even get usable data come on sprint light up Brandon

Please...please, please do not bring up Premium Data. Thankfully you are in a market being actively deployed. It is always darkest before the dawn.

Robert via Nexus 7 on Tapatalk

• Like 3

I hope something g is about to happen my speeds have gone to shit

This past few weeks. I hate paying for premium data and don't even get usable data come on sprint light up Brandon

I guess I should have always been lucky. Where I work is an absolute black hole for Sprint so I have never expected or seen anything better than what I get now. The only time it was better is when they were ripping the roof of the building for a week I was happy. I have noticed though since becoming a member of this site that Sprint sites at least here in Florida seem to be in a lot of cases the lowest site on a shared tower and rarely 200' or higher. Nextel sites I come across and installed usually were 150' and above. Not sure if that has anything to do with the spectrum or the topography of Florida but I wonder if coverage would be helped in this area if they were higher. I wish one of the more intelligent members would write an article about this

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1

Well, I am off this morning, Saturday 11/17, and was browsing through the network.sprint.com site, and thought it was unusual that I didn't see the tower far off from my back yard that I have normally seen on there. So, I decided to get some actual exercise, loaded up the camera, and bicycled to the site :)

I this site showed on network.sprint.com slated for a data upgrade. Here is its location link (which is actually a community building again since the bubble). Ok, the site isn't as accessible at least from the sub as it shows in the Google Maps photo as there is a house there now, and others being built near it.

What I did find was something interesting, an arrangement different than what I have seen in more populated areas than this neighborhood tower is, so, I am not sure what I am looking at with regards to the bottom rung of antennas. I have seen other carriers in the area doing upgrades, like AT&T and T-Mobile, but those upgrades generally replace all antennas with separate boxes for each. In this lower rung, based on the original Google Maps photo shown below in a link, an additional middle antenna was added and at least 1 RRU to the original two antenna configuration. I guess why I am not sure is that it doesn't look anything like the Pinellas County sites that I have seen recently with the stacked RRUs behind the middle antenna.

On another note, I have seen no other upgrades near me off the main drags in Riverview (or in Brandon), or anywhere else on this side of the bay yet and had to take some photos of this one. Look at the Google Map photo before and these after shots and let me know what you think. Thanks.

Google Map Photo before site upgrade

New photo 1 of this site

New photo 2 of this site (close up)

Wildman I have seen a few configs like that here actually on a site I get pretty good speeds from. Like you though I was confused because it looked nothing like what I had seen previously. The panel looks like the ones Sprint is using but theirs look to be more rounded

Wildman I have seen a few configs like that here actually on a site I get pretty good speeds from. Like you though I was confused because it looked nothing like what I had seen previously. The panel looks like the ones Sprint is using but theirs look to be more rounded

Well, then I hope this site still gets the "data upgrade." :)

He left that one wide open... As a ome back you could have posted a picture of you driving ;)

Sent from my EVO sometimes-LTE

As in I'm on my way where did you pick it up at.. lmao

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

New-Tech has 2 permits for tower equipment and tower antenna at 11204 US Hwy 19, Port Richey. Which corresponds with a tower that sprint is using but it looks like multiple carriers are on it. it is in a Self storage lot. will try to run up there this weekend. to look at it.

Ok so rode up to the Self Storage with the huge tower just south of SR 52... I didn't see any NV antennae on the tower, and it is a security gated storage so I couldn't get in to see if there was any permits onsite.

This may seem like a gripe, but I will call it a intense observation instead. I have been to quite a few sites in Pinellas County. Some based on permits and some based on the sponsor maps. What I find varies but the one issue that sticks out is how much isn't done.

I'm not sure if its Sprint, Ericsson, or the Tower Tech/General Contractors fault but I'm amazed that I see NOTHING done at some sites and just the beginning stages at others. I know that the nesting season ran smack in the middle of deployment plans here in Florida (which in itself should have moved deployment either forward or back its not a new thing with the birds) Every site is going to be different I know but at the very least in most cases you needed the backhaul run, slabs poured/built, cabinets set, and power run to the cabinets . Slabs alone could be about 3-5 days with the weather we get here in these months, which then holds up the cabinets being set, which prevents the electrician from doing his/her thing. I understand that towers can't be climbed during the nesting season but there was plenty of ground work to do and from what I have seen nothing was done. The permits I have seen were pulled starting in June.

I'm not sure who is too blame or even if it was preventable. I'm not sure if it was an equipment thing or possibly a money thing but it does seem odd that of the 20 or so sites I have looked at a good portion of them are sitting there untouched. If the ground work had been completed, hanging panels and cable is the easy part and deployment would have been quicker in this area. I'm speculating of course and this is by no means a "lets pile on Sprint" thing but I'm curious about the other contractors besides Ericsson and how the deployment went for them, and what other members saw when deployment started for them

• Like 1

Whoooo so I am due for am upgrade on the 1st, but I'll be calling to see if I can get it on Black Friday instead. With any luck, I'll be out searching for LTE with you guys this week lol.

What did you decide to get?

What did you decide to get?

Think I'm still leaning towards the EVO LTE. Haven't been convinced that the LTE scan issue isn't anything other than a software problem so I'm not too concerned about it. Plus the camera and Sense really impress me on the EVO. Not saying the SG3 is anything but a great phone, it's just nothing about it really strikes me.

Think I'm still leaning towards the EVO LTE. Haven't been convinced that the LTE scan issue isn't anything other than a software problem so I'm not too concerned about it. Plus the camera and Sense really impress me on the EVO. Not saying the SG3 is anything but a great phone, it's just nothing about it really strikes me.

I wouldn't fault the EVO if it just had an issue connecting to a signal. But it would also lose the signal before all the rest. It would too often lose signal transitioning to a new tower because the transition area was too weak for it, whereas the other devices would hang on.

There was one time in Waco, where I handed off to four towers in a 5 minute time frame, all three other devices handed over no problems. But each time the EVO had to be cycled through airplane mode again to get a signal with the new site. If I didn't have other devices that were connecting to new sites, I probably would have assumed that I drove out of LTE coverage or a LTE site was down.

I wouldn't fault the EVO if it just had an issue connecting to a signal. But it would also lose the signal before all the rest. It would too often lose signal transitioning to a new tower because the transition area was too weak for it, whereas the other devices would hang on.

There was one time in Waco, where I handed off to four towers in a 5 minute time frame, all three other devices handed over no problems. But each time the EVO had to be cycled through airplane mode again to get a signal with the new site. If I didn't have other devices that were connecting to new sites, I probably would have assumed that I drove out of LTE coverage or a LTE site was down.

Could the fix be as easy as raising the threshold for which it drops a signal? Similarly to what many of us have done on our WiMax phones? I know we don't have access to change these threshold values, but I don't imagine that to be a hard fix for HTC. Although that would beg the question about why it hasn't been addressed yet.

Would you not recommend the EVO, Robert?

Could the fix be as easy as raising the threshold for which it drops a signal? Similarly to what many of us have done on our WiMax phones? I know we don't have access to change these threshold values, but I don't imagine that to be a hard fix for HTC. Although that would beg the question about why it hasn't been addressed yet.

Would you not recommend the EVO, Robert?

It seems like a threshold adjustment would make a difference. However, with how much flack HTC and Sprint have been getting, you think if it was that easy, they would do that. It seems to be a much more difficult issue. We know when you put the EVO in LTE only mode, it will stay connected in the lower signal transition areas and hand off seamlessly from one LTE site to another. Yet, HTC has yet to provide a software update that will allow that to occur while in CDMA/LTE mode.

I am hesitant to recommend the EVO to anyone at this time, unless they will only use the EVO 3G only or only need LTE in a static/non-mobile condition.

• Like 1