Will the 2013 LTE build out require devices not yet available?

jeffcarp

I live in Des Moines Iowa so it will be quite a while before we have LTE here. I do travel to some areas that have LTE so I could use it periodically if my phone supported it.

I am currently running the Cyanogenmod 9 beta on my galaxy s2. It is probably the best Android experience I have had yet on any phone so I am very reluctant to upgrade before I need to. However, I am eligible for an upgrade from Sprint now.

One option is that I could update now, enjoy a little bit of LTE in some markets when I travel and be in a position for my next update in the fall of 2014 after the network is completely ruled out.

The other option is to keep this current phone, enjoy cyanogenMod 9 and 10 and wait to update until Des Moines gets LTE in late 2013 (hopefully).

My question is, I have read something in these forums about Sprint using different frequencies for LTE once they get rid of all of the Nextel stuff. Does this mean that in order to take advantage of the entire Sprint LTE capability of the completely built out network, that the user would need to have a phone with radios that do not exist today in the current LTE phones?

If that is the case, then I would really be inclined to hold on my update and stick with my Galaxy S2 solution running CyanogenMod and wait until those phones came out (next year?).

If that is not the case I may be leaning towards updating now, enjoying LTE where I can and then be in a position for a new update in 2014 after the rollout is complete. Then again, the Galaxy S2 runs so well with CyanogenMod even if this is not true about the radios, just the natural evolution of how much better phones will be in a year makes me inclined to wait until Des Moines is live as well.

Obviously I'm confused and talking myself into and out of each option. What would you do?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

I live in Des Moines Iowa so it will be quite a while before we have LTE here. I do travel to some areas that have LTE so I could use it periodically if my phone supported it.

I am currently running the Cyanogenmod 9 beta on my galaxy s2. It is probably the best Android experience I have had yet on any phone so I am very reluctant to upgrade before I need to. However' date=' I am eligible for an upgrade from Sprint now.

One option is that I could update now, enjoy a little bit of LTE in some markets when I travel and be in a position for my next update in the fall of 2014 after the network is completely ruled out.

The other option is to keep this current phone, enjoy cyanogenMod 9 and 10 and wait to update until Des Moines gets LTE in late 2013 (hopefully).

My question is, I have read something in these forums about Sprint using different frequencies for LTE once they get rid of all of the Nextel stuff. Does this mean that in order to take advantage of the entire Sprint LTE capability of the completely built out network, that the user would need to have a phone with radios that do not exist today in the current LTE phones?

If that is the case, then I would really be inclined to hold on my update and stick with my Galaxy S2 solution running CyanogenMod and wait until those phones came out (next year?).

If that is not the case I may be leaning towards updating now, enjoying LTE where I can and then be in a position for a new update in 2014 after the rollout is complete. Then again, the Galaxy S2 runs so well with CyanogenMod even if this is not true about the radios, just the natural evolution of how much better phones will be in a year makes me inclined to wait until Des Moines is live as well.

Obviously I'm confused and talking myself into and out of each option. What would you do?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2[/quote']

You are correct. Sprint is deploying LTE now in 1900MHz and will additionally add LTE in 800MHz starting in late 2013. Currently no devices support LTE 800. They are not expected until Q2/Q3 of 2013.

There is a third option also. You could get a Sprint LTE hotspot the next time you go out of town and keep that with you. They are pretty inexpensive.

Robert via CM9 Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

Will LTE 800 be deployed nationwide or is it isolated to certain markets?

Will LTE 800 be deployed nationwide or is it isolated to certain markets?

The exact extents of LTE 800 is not completely known yet. But a few things we do know:

• They will be deploying one 5MHz wide FD-LTE carrier in most markets. In some markets they may be limited to a 3MHz wide LTE deployment (especially the Southeast U.S.)
  • There are licensing issues within 75 miles of the Canadian and Mexican borders that the FCC and Sprint are working through with neighboring countries/license holders that could delay deployment and possibly size of channels used in these areas.
  • They are not deploying in LTE 800 in Puerto Rico initially
  • Sprint is targeting that 80% of sites will receive LTE 800 within each market
  • Sprint will be starting FIT (Field Implementation Testing) for LTE 800 this Fall
  • Sprint is tentatively scheduled to begin LTE 800 deployment in the 2nd Half of 2013

Robert

hi, i'm also from the des moines area :) i just upgraded to the EVO 4G LTE from the original EVO and this phone is awesome! i wouldn't let what the network will be when its done hinder you from getting what you want now. if you upgrade now you will be due for another one in 20 months which will probably be just when sprint is getting done with LTE 800 and then it will be ready for you and your upgrade. however, there are 3 4G wimax protection sites in the des moines area, depending on where you live you might pickup a signal from them you can be using in the meantime, also if you travel to any 4G wimax markets you will be be able to take advantage of 4G there as well. so really you can't go wrong either way :)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The exact extents of LTE 800 is not completely known yet. But a few things we do know:

• They will be deploying one 5MHz wide FD-LTE carrier in most markets. In some markets they may be limited to a 3MHz wide LTE deployment (especially the Southeast U.S.)
  • There are licensing issues within 75 miles of the Canadian and Mexican borders that the FCC and Sprint are working through with neighboring countries/license holders that could delay deployment and possibly size of channels used in these areas.
  • They are not deploying in LTE 800 in Puerto Rico initially
  • Sprint is targeting that 80% of sites will receive LTE 800 within each market
  • Sprint will be starting FIT (Field Implementation Testing) for LTE 800 this Fall
  • Sprint is tentatively scheduled to begin LTE 800 deployment in the 2nd Half of 2013

Robert

No LTE 800 in Puerto Rico initially. From the information you have, is there a schedule for deployment of LTE 800 in Puerto Rico? 2014 or beyond? Its good to know taking into account phone upgrade terms and phone availability with LTE 800 capabilities beyond 2013.

No LTE 800 in Puerto Rico initially. From the information you have' date=' is there a schedule for deployment of LTE 800 in Puerto Rico? 2014 or beyond? Its good to know taking into account phone upgrade terms and phone availability with LTE 800 capabilities beyond 2013.[/quote']

I do not know about the long term prospects for LTE 800 in Puerto Rico at this time. I assume the problems stem from either rebanding or negotiations with neighboring countries due to interference.

Robert via Nexus 7 using Forum Runner

I do not know about the long term prospects for LTE 800 in Puerto Rico at this time. I assume the problems stem from either rebanding or negotiations with neighboring countries due to interference.

Robert via Nexus 7 using Forum Runner

Hopefully it will not be forgotten by Sprint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hopefully it will not be forgotten by Sprint.

Not "forgotten" -- maybe just not possible. Other licensees hold SMR 800 MHz spectrum in Puerto Rico. Sprint simply may not have the spectrum to deploy LTE 800.

AJ

• Like 1

Not "forgotten" -- maybe just not possible. Other licensees hold SMR 800 MHz spectrum in Puerto Rico. Sprint simply may not have the spectrum to deploy LTE 800.

AJ

Interesting that as I was bored watching the Bears currently shutting out the hapless lions, I just so happened to be skimming this: http://www.800ta.org...PR_06.30.12.pdf If I'm reading page 30 of this document correctly (always a big "if"), are not the licensees of SMR spectrum being relocated in Puerto Rico to clear contiguous spectrum ~817-824MHz for Sprint just as they are in the mainland?

AJ

That's well explained, thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...

any word on where or when now?

It was supposed to be in Montana and the New Orleans market. But I have not heard or seen one peep about it since early last Summer.

Robert

It was supposed to be in Montana and the New Orleans market. But I have not heard or seen one peep about it since early last Summer.

Robert

figured as much...

off topic : im looking for a cheap iphone 4s or iphone 5 for my blind brother, know of anywhere cheap or someone selling one cheap?