Network Vision/LTE - Columbus Market

abrcrmdl23

I'm going to get some help from digiblur to hopefully build a database for Columbus like he's done for NOLA, but this seems where we are in terms of known Serving Cells. So if you see a new Serving Cell ID on a Samsung phone different than this, it's a new site:

Stringtown/Jackson Pike site

• 212 SW
  • 213 NW
  • 217 E
Morse Road (Northland Area)

• 203 SW
  • 388 E
  • 390 NW
For Samsung Multiscreen folks, if you know how to do so, snap your screenshots as of such. It will show where you are on the map and the Serving Cell ID you're receiving in that spot. Example below:

post-9228-13723862431006_thumb.jpg

I can't get sensorly to show 4G on my map. I only get the option for 2g and 3g. Are you using the app or website?

I can't get sensorly to show 4G on my map. I only get the option for 2g and 3g. Are you using the app or website?

While viewing the coverage map on your phone, hit menu and the select Sprint LTE.

If you're referring to LTE you just mapped, it takes time before the map refreshes.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

uploadfromtaptalk1374705599563.jpg

When you say "none of them" what exactly are you referring to? The computer system? We've found that in other markets, once NV starts rolling, they get further and further removed from the original schedule.

I have access to a schedule which has been accurate for every 3G NV upgrade. The 2 LTE towers however were not on that schedule. But there are LTE towers scheduled so we will see how precise it is.

I have access to a schedule which has been accurate for every 3G NV upgrade. The 2 LTE towers however were not on that schedule. But there are LTE towers scheduled so we will see how precise it is.

I'm holding you to my Granville schedule... Lol

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 4 Beta

I'm impressed.  I drove down High Street to see how useable that new LTE site is on the south side is....

If you're looking at map ( or not ) where High street INTERSECTS with 270 - you're still maybe a mile away from the LTE site..

Well I did a speedtest about 3/4 of a mile North of that point.  It was a place where there are many resteraunts, gas stations and a few apartments.  My speed test was just a tad under 7 Mb/s down.. up was only about 2 Mb/s..

As I got to my closest point to 270 (driving South on High) ... the signal was about -94 ...I was still almost a mile away from the LTE site..

So I take the ramp off High and get on 270 and begin driving EAST.. I drive a mile east from that point and my speed test is around 8 Mb/s down.. I'm thinking "I'm nearly 2 miles away"..

So I guess geographically the flat area works well with the whole line of site principal..because the signal there was much more useable far away then the Morse Road tower..  For example, You can pick up LTE by Shell Gas Station ( On Morse Road ) next to Easton, but when you drive west and head closer to the tower you LOSE the signal because the road dips down for a mile before the elevation of the road goes back up.. during this time even though you're closer you've lost the signal.  The area surronding the LTE site on the south has a more level terrain which is better for those around there getting LTE off that site.. 

It seems to me the 1900 has pretty decent range.. It also seems apparent once Sprint gets towers all around 270 it's gonna be really nice..

Nope. I just added two lines on the old Everything Data plans. No reason to pay more for something we will never use (unlimited minutes.) Especially since there's no indication that unlimited is going anywhere on the Everything Data lines. 

rf40928 says:

Also if you look CLOSELY at the plans.. on the NEW plans once you add more then 2 lines you pay on the new data plans then the old 'Everything' plans. For TWO LINES both old and new plans cost about the same..It's when lines three and four are introduced where people start to get screwed. Let's look at a situation where you would need a family plan. Each line after the first line ($50) would cost $10 less than the line before (i.e. $40 for the second line, $30 for the third, $20 for the fourth). It's nice of Sprint to decrease the price by $10 a month, but you still have to pay $30 for unlimited data on each line. On the new plans, a family plan with four people will run you about $260 every month. Currently, the most similar plan would currently run you around $210 which, unless your family is calling a boatload of landlines every month ( because the old plan only covers unlimited cell to cell calls ) - you're probably never going to run into a problem with. It's also worth mentioning that these new plans would make a family plan with three lines the same $210 it costs now to have a four line family plan with data, when it used to cost just $179.98.  So new plans best for accounts with 2 lines or less.. New plan makes unlimited calls include land lines ( old plan was only cell to cell ). New plan guarantees data for life. I'm staying with the old plan though: it's cheaper ( I have more then 2 lines ) and I don't see any stipulation yet that'll make them take away my unlimited data on my older plan.

OK! Its scheduled along with mount Vernon, Urbana, and bellefontaine + others.

I'm excited for lte but I'm even more excited to get backhaul and get NV 3g/800 to get better voice and data on 3g.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 4 Beta

thenight84

Is Washington Court House scheduled to transition soon as well?

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

There's a 4g tower marked for Greenfield, Wash.CH will be totally saturated with 3G but I'm unclear of when it will have backhaul.
  • Like 1

There's a 4g tower marked for Greenfield, Wash.CH will be totally saturated with 3G but I'm unclear of when it will have backhaul.

Thanks for the info!

I think I know the answer but I'll ask anyway.  You say Washington CH will be saturated with 3G soon.  Doesn't it already have 3G?  What I assume is that it will get upgraded 3G which is faster and of the 800 variety??  Or is this crappy speed I get, that says 3G, not really 3G?

I think I know the answer but I'll ask anyway. You say Washington CH will be saturated with 3G soon. Doesn't it already have 3G? What I assume is that it will get upgraded 3G which is faster and of the 800 variety?? Or is this crappy speed I get, that says 3G, not really 3G?

I do know this much.... three of the towers Washington Court House have been upgraded with the new Samsung Cabinets and RRU's (Rowe Ging Rd SE, Cisco Road and U.S. 22/Burkerhill Glendon Rd) I was kinda snooping as they were installing them. The speed has increased... slightly. The problem is, the three towers that I mentioned sit outside of WCH around US 35. It didn't affect me much because I just work there (at the Walmart DC) and I tend to get a really good signal. Download speed is between 1.5 - 2.5 mbps. It's much less than that inside WCH though.

What WCH is waiting for is the backhaul. Once the backhaul arrives, speeds should increase significantly.

I remember when they were working in the towers about a month and a half ago. It was a painful time to be a Sprint customer.

Anyone know what the "NextLTEscan timer" parameter does in the ##DATA# screen under BSR Menu>Timer Menu? Mine has a 5 in that field. I'm guessing that's scan for LTE every 5 minutes or every 5 scan intervals? The thing I noticed today was that I was right on top of the Jackson Pike/Stringtown cell before detecting LTE. I would like to detect sooner ;)

I also noticed that while sitting at my desk on Goodale Blvd my phone spent a lot of time bouncing around cells and connecting to a couple cells that I would consider completely out of range. One cell was up the hill, two miles away through dense housing and trees. I'm hoping that is caused by more turn-ups coming.

Lastly maybe there's a Sprint site person reading this, it would be a benefit in coverage for Grandview to put a cell over at the Grandview Yard Hyatt Place Hotel. I can get you in touch with the property manager. The Butler Ave site is barely above the trees and there have been and will be tall structures built all around there blocking signal to the west. 

Also if you look CLOSELY at the plans.. on the NEW plans once you add more then 2 lines you pay on the new data plans then the old 'Everything' plans. For TWO LINES both old and new plans cost about the same..It's when lines three and four are introduced where people start to get screwed. ....

I'm staying with the old plan though: it's cheaper ( I have more then 2 lines ) and I don't see any stipulation yet that'll make them take away my unlimited data on my older plan.

Oh yes, I went over all of that. I have three lines now. No way I was paying an extra 30 just for unlimited minutes, when 1500 is way more than enough.

• Like 2

Anyone know what the "NextLTEscan timer" parameter does in the ##DATA# screen under BSR Menu>Timer Menu? Mine has a 5 in that field. I'm guessing that's scan for LTE every 5 minutes or every 5 scan intervals? The thing I noticed today was that I was right on top of the Jackson Pike/Stringtown cell before detecting LTE. I would like to detect sooner ;)

Others adjusted this setting in the past with no change. The problem you'll continue to have until LTE is wide spread is, your phone is designed to not drop your data unless absolutely necessary. So if any data is sending in 3G (i.e. Sensorly) it will not look for LTE until your send/receive stops. This is one reason why toggling Airplane mode works. I purchased the upgrade to LTE Discovery which alleviate the issue when mapping.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

rf40928 says:

Also if you look CLOSELY at the plans.. on the NEW plans once you add more then 2 lines you pay on the new data plans then the old 'Everything' plans. For TWO LINES both old and new plans cost about the same..It's when lines three and four are introduced where people start to get screwed. Let's look at a situation where you would need a family plan. Each line after the first line ($50) would cost $10 less than the line before (i.e. $40 for the second line, $30 for the third, $20 for the fourth). It's nice of Sprint to decrease the price by $10 a month, but you still have to pay $30 for unlimited data on each line. On the new plans, a family plan with four people will run you about $260 every month. Currently, the most similar plan would currently run you around $210 which, unless your family is calling a boatload of landlines every month ( because the old plan only covers unlimited cell to cell calls ) - you're probably never going to run into a problem with. It's also worth mentioning that these new plans would make a family plan with three lines the same $210 it costs now to have a four line family plan with data, when it used to cost just $179.98.  So new plans best for accounts with 2 lines or less.. New plan makes unlimited calls include land lines ( old plan was only cell to cell ). New plan guarantees data for life. I'm staying with the old plan though: it's cheaper ( I have more then 2 lines ) and I don't see any stipulation yet that'll make them take away my unlimited data on my older plan.

I'm really not trying to be negatvie. But why do you think that they only outline unlimited data locked in for life with the new plans?

My guess is they will cut off your current unlimited plan in the next 12 months. But I bet they will give all current customers a chance to move before that.

I'm really not trying to be negatvie. But why do you think that they only outline unlimited data locked in for life with the new plans?

My guess is they will cut off your current unlimited plan in the next 12 months. But I bet they will give all current customers a chance to move before that.

I was thinking that they outlined it explicitly for new plans to differentiate themselves from Verizon, who has had drama surrounding data usage and now have capped data plans.

Yo!

Yinz are mapping the hell outta GroveTucky!!! Keep up the good work. I feel like I need to go map Morse some more to catch up!

• Like 1

OK! Its scheduled along with mount Vernon, Urbana, and bellefontaine + others.

MOUNT VERNON, MOUNT VERNON!!!

WHen when when??? lol

Although I am curious how far out.  In actuality, I am on the edge of Mount Vernon, very close to centerburg.  I haven't figured out what tower provides for it.  I am really just after the NV upgrade for that tower, I want 800 Mhz.  No more choppy cell phone!  But it's also help inside Mount Vernon.  A lot of the stores on Coshocton rd get pretty poor signal inside.  

But, I am excited.  That, and Westerville (where I work) are what I am looking for.

The last three mornings I've hit over 500 points in Sensorly on LTE as I drive to and from my sons babysitter in Grove City. I've been shocked at the range of that tower considering it sits right on the outward east boundary of Grove City

• Like 1

rf40928 says:

Can you show me any proof of your 12 month "time limit" for all of us to move our plans?? 

The My-Way and All-In plans aren't meant to a tool against current Sprint Everything Data Plan holders.. They were a response to the other carriers Plans of which I'm sure early phone trade-ins were a part of. but here's a excerpt of a SPRINT column:

"Sprint Chief Executive Dan Hesse told Reuters the [new] guarantee would reassure customers who were worried about leaving AT&T or Verizon Wireless and then having Sprint pull the offer of unlimited services."

There you have it.  Guarantee'd Unlimited data is a marketing tool to assure customers leaving other carriers that  it's ok to leave and go to Sprint ..it's nothing to do with all current Everything Data plan holders..

If you have ONE line My-way is pretty much a win-win for the consumer.  You go from unlimited cell to cell calls in the old plan ..to.. unlimited calls (period) in the new.. In the new My-Way ( single line plan ) You get a 5 GB mobile hot spot thrown in and the GUARANTEE of unlimited data that you keep pitching.  Otherwise, for current customers that have more then TWO lines.. The new plans cost more.. until there is a reason - for those customer like me - THERE IS NO REASON TO SWITCH.  I'm saving money right now staying on the old..

I'm not worried about losing unlimited data.  SoftBank CEO Masayoshi Son has said he wants to keep Unlimited data around to differentiate Sprint from it's rival carriers.  Son says's he spending the bulk of 16 Billion of additional upgrades (over the next two years ) on base stations - which means more coverage in areas where Sprint has little or none..

A win-win for all of us - More Coverage & Unlimited data will be offered for a long time..

• Like 2

The last three mornings I've hit over 500 points in Sensorly on LTE as I drive to and from my sons babysitter in Grove City. I've been shocked at the range of that tower considering it sits right on the outward east boundary of Grove City

Grove City and the areas immediately around it are fairly flat. Trees aren't super high and there really isn't any hills, so that signal will run crazy with LTE.