Network Vision/LTE - Columbus Market

abrcrmdl23

Can someone please explain 3G/800? If it's still 3G,why is it such an upgrade? Please forgive my ignorance.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

800 Mhz can go further and penetrate structures much better then 1900 Mhz..  Overall signal will be better, but noticeably indoors as well where signal sometimes gets weak - especially in work buildings that have more brick and steal then a typical home. There are not phones (yet) that can do 800 Mhz LTE, but most are excited that Sprint is improving quality in more then one aspect.  For now 800 Mhz means mostly better call quality.  Where I work I can call from outside - but once I go inside I won't even try because I'll drop the call.  This is where 800 Mhz comes in and will change that. 800 should also improve coverage because in places where the call quality is "iffy" right now it should be solid when 800 is rolled out since 800 goes further then 1900..

I have a feeling that the majority of the people who live in the LTE ZONE care less about it then those who don't. Although I love the speed of it , I'm more excited about the Voice than Data upgrades. That MorseRd tower is like a Shrine now

I'm also looking forward to 800 because I'll be able to make calls indoors at work - which now I can't..

Overall, though, my call quality is good and I rarely drop calls - but I have more the last couple months - which Iam blaming on the upgrade process ... The 3G upgrades are nice,but in most areas are not a big deal.  Sprint needs LTE so that its UNLIMITED data package is truly a reason to switch ( and stay ) with Sprint- otherwise 3g is usually enemic.. 

Can someone please explain 3G/800? If it's still 3G,why is it such an upgrade? Please forgive my ignorance.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Since it's a lower frequency than PCS 1900 it provides better building penetration and longer range.

And before AJ comes and makes a comment, nothing is better than better penetration at a longer range!

;)

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

• Like 3

800 Mhz can go further and penetrate structures much better then 1900 Mhz..  Overall signal will be better, but noticeably indoors as well where signal sometimes gets weak - especially in work buildings that have more brick and steal then a typical home. There are not phones (yet) that can do 800 Mhz LTE, but most are excited that Sprint is improving quality in more then one aspect.  For now 800 Mhz means mostly better call quality.  Where I work I can call from outside - but once I go inside I won't even try because I'll drop the call.  This is where 800 Mhz comes in and will change that. 800 should also improve coverage because in places where the call quality is "iffy" right now it should be solid when 800 is rolled out since 800 goes further then 1900..

Well then, this is great news.  I work in a steel building and have absolutely no service inside.  I have decent 3G speed outside, but forget it once I walk through that door.  I roam all day inside.  I even took my Airvave to work with me.  I put the GPS antenna up as high as I could above the ceiling tiles.  I periodically worked, but without a clear view of the sky it never did really lock on to location.  

Yep, posted two new ones in the sponsor area this morning.

That's what caused me to look when I got the alert in the Ohio/WV thread.

Oh. My. God.

Cell service in Westerville is horrible at the moment. It's taking me upwards of 10-12 minutes to get a call to go through. Keep getting call failed. Inbound calls don't happen. The only way I know someone called is when voicemail goes off. This has been going on since yesterday morning. I spend most of my day on the phone for work and this is very painful.

Ok so the reason for my bitching? I called Sprint to log a complaint. Turns out 2 of the 5 towers are completely down, two more are in a degraded state, and the last is functioning. 2 are scheduled to be full service by 2pm today, two on the 26th, and maintenance on the last (which is the only one at full capacity now) on the 27th.

Y'all know what this means!! Yup, confirmed. Westerville is IN PROGRESS! Woot!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2

• Like 3

Oh. My. God.

Cell service in Westerville is horrible at the moment. It's taking me upwards of 10-12 minutes to get a call to go through. Keep getting call failed. Inbound calls don't happen. The only way I know someone called is when voicemail goes off. This has been going on since yesterday morning. I spend most of my day on the phone for work and this is very painful.

Ok so the reason for my bitching? I called Sprint to log a complaint. Turns out 2 of the 5 towers are completely down, two more are in a degraded state, and the last is functioning. 2 are scheduled to be full service by 2pm today, two on the 26th, and maintenance on the last (which is the only one at full capacity now) on the 27th.

Y'all know what this means!! Yup, confirmed. Westerville is IN PROGRESS! Woot!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2

When they say it gets worse before it gets better, that definitely applies here. I wonder when they told you full service by 2 PM today if that's just normal maintenance or NV upgrades. Guess we'll see. I still wouldn't count on that 2 PM time being 100% correct. Things get delayed.

When they say it gets worse before it gets better, that definitely applies here. I wonder when they told you full service by 2 PM today if that's just normal maintenance or NV upgrades. Guess we'll see. I still wouldn't count on that 2 PM time being 100% correct. Things get delayed.

It wouldn't make a lot of sense to bring down several towers at once for "normal maintenance" in one area - all at the same time, unless something happened to damage these towers and disrupt service, but Sprint doesn't always seem to make sense either.

Even if these are NV upgrades though.. it may be like a lot of places where you get NV 3G and/or 800, but no LTE due to awaiting fiber backhaul.. Of course better call quality is always a plus..

• Like 1

Our conversation was 3G/800 related.

Obviously, these dates are projected, but they are straight off the outage reports the Sprint tech had available to him. The was a 2nd level tech, btw, not first line support.

He assured me by the end of the week I would be very happy with my service. He gave me his direct line to contact him and advised he would contact me on Friday to make sure I was happy with the results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

• Like 2

Obviously, these dates are projected, but they are straight off the outage reports the Sprint tech had available to him. The was a 2nd level tech, btw, not first line support.

He assured me by the end of the week I would be very happy with my service. He gave me his direct line to contact him and advised he would contact me on Friday to make sure I was happy with the results.

That sounds like great customer service or bragging. Hopefully both!

If the second level guys gave you that info I'd put a lot more stock in it. I hope it's true! I'm just skeptical of timetables anyone gives me, anywhere. Would it make sense for all those towers to go down at once for normal maintenance, of course not.. But it's Sprint and their aging equipment.

• Like 2

Anyone see any evidence of NV on these pics?

This is tower is east Columbus, sorta edge of blacklick

I don't believe so, but another angle may reveal more. One thing I've noticed about Samsung NV Antenna and RRU setup is that it looks ridiculous and horrible. With there being 6 wire cables running to the antennas from the RRUs, they stick out like glow sticks in pitch blackness.

My office is in Westerville and I noticed quite a few signal / drop call issues yesterday but figured it was a fluke.  It appeared that the S. Street tower is the one that appeared down.  The one on Lauffer is what I was jumping onto, but I'm simply too far away for usable signal.  Words cannot describe how excited I am about 1X 800...

My office is in Westerville and I noticed quite a few signal / drop call issues yesterday but figured it was a fluke.  It appeared that the S. Street tower is the one that appeared down.  The one on Lauffer is what I was jumping onto, but I'm simply too far away for usable signal.  Words cannot describe how excited I am about 1X 800...

Yeah.. I'm really excited for LTE, but Iam for 800Mhz 1x A as well.. cuz it'll mean I can actually make calls indoors at work.. Right now on breaks I go outside.. which can be nice.. but in the freezing cold or storm showers it's not so ideal, huh?

• Like 1

I don't believe so, but another angle may reveal more. One thing I've noticed about Samsung NV Antenna and RRU setup is that it looks ridiculous and horrible. With there being 6 wire cables running to the antennas from the RRUs, they stick out like glow sticks in pitch blackness.

Thx for the reply..I sent you a msg to your mail because iam not sure what can be said in open topic by sponsors..

Yeah.. I'm really excited for LTE, but Iam for 800Mhz 1x A as well.. cuz it'll mean I can actually make calls indoors at work.. Right now on breaks I go outside.. which can be nice.. but in the freezing cold or storm showers it's not so ideal, huh?

C'mon!!! Who really wants to make phone calls a-these-days??? :lol:  Honestly though, by the time the freezing cold rolls around, we should be lit up enough to be usable indoors.

Thx for the reply..I sent you a msg to your mail because iam not sure what can be said in open topic by sponsors..

Oh, that message was fine according to forum policy. You can discuss things being in progress as that's not really giving away too much. May want to stay away from site IDs. That's where you run into issues.

• Like 1

I meant to add, I won't hold my breath until thenight84 is able to confirm it, :).

• Like 1

C'mon!!! Who really wants to make phone calls a-these-days??? :lol:  Honestly though, by the time the freezing cold rolls around, we should be lit up enough to be usable indoors.

Oh, that message was fine according to forum policy. You can discuss things being in progress as that's not really giving away too much. May want to stay away from site IDs. That's where you run into issues.

Funny you say that " C'mon!!! Who really wants to make phone calls a-these-days???"

In the 600 Mhz Topic thread someone had a theory Sprint would move data to 600 Mhz LTE and have 800 for 1xa.. I said I doubt Sprint would waste all of its 800 Mhz for voice calls when people are making less voice calls every year.. Sprint would first off have to get enough 600 to move all data there.. and right now there's too many "what- ifs"... I think Sprint would use 600 to enhance data or voice.. and possibly use it in select markets.. but ok.. im getting off Columbus topic..

Today has been a horible day in Marion as well.  The data keeps dropping, and  calls  and texts are barley going through.  I called sprint and they said that several towers are down and being worked on right now.  According to  my source about NV this would make sense ...

Just picked up some LTE love leaving Grove City on Jackson Pike. It's a good sign. Speeds weren't great, but it at least shows work in progress. Can thenight84 confirm LTE being lit up in Grove City. Not sure which tower us serving it up. Why doesn't Sensorly map 4g on the Note 2? It shows you hitting points but doesn't actively map them.

post-15831-0-10245200-1374623317_thumb.png

post-15831-0-84499200-1374623347_thumb.png

• Like 2

Just picked up some LTE love leaving Grove City on Jackson Pike. It's a good sign. Speeds weren't great, but it at least shows work in progress. Can thenight84 confirm LTE being lit up in Grove City. Not sure which tower us serving it up. Why doesn't Sensorly map 4g on the Note 2? It shows you hitting points but doesn't actively map them.

Before mapping 4G you need to do an airplane mode toggle or use LTE Discovery app. I mapped a lot of Morse Road using my Note 2. If you did successfully map, it takes some time to update. It's usually there within 45 mins according to Sensorly.

Is there anyone in Grove City now that can pull up their LTE engineering screen when connected to the site?

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 4 Beta