Network Vision/LTE - Philadelphia Metro Market (including Lehigh Valley/Reading)

HappyHappy

It seemed like there was a lot of tower activity today in the Bensalem area. LTE was off & on several times and my BSL for 1xRTT was bouncing all over the place while I sat in my office. At one point my voice service was practically non-existent while I was connected to a tower in Willingboro, NJ (almost 5 miles away). This went on throughout the day for several hours...it was extremely frustrating trying to get business done, but hopefully it will result in some more LTE accepted sites over the next few days/weeks.

Similar things going on in Center City. All day at 18th & Market (normally 5 bars of [slow] 3G service), it's been flipping between one bar of 3G, one bar of LTE, and a few bars of 1xRTT. I'm assuming they're doing something with our closest tower (1701 JFK). Maybe it'll go live with LTE soon! Even just being 3G NV complete would be nice; it's been "in progress" for a very long time :)

Similar things going on in Center City. All day at 18th & Market (normally 5 bars of [slow] 3G service), it's been flipping between one bar of 3G, one bar of LTE, and a few bars of 1xRTT. I'm assuming they're doing something with our closest tower (1701 JFK). Maybe it'll go live with LTE soon! Even just being 3G NV complete would be nice; it's been "in progress" for a very long time :)

Definitely agreed. The closest LTE tower to my office is close enough that I can barely pick up the signal in the parking lot & the closer towers are definitely not NV complete yet...my 3G speeds are only maybe 5-10% or so of what I'm seeing at home in Willow Grove (0.1-0.2 Mbps vs 1.5 - 2.5 Mbps). It makes a big big difference.

• Like 1

NEW Cell Site Near Maple Grove Speedway (Reading, PA).

http://readingeagle.com/article.aspx?id=467990

From readingeagle.com

The Brecknock Township Zoning Hearing Board has unanimously approved allowing a 120-foot high Sprint Nextel cellphone tower at the end of the 5000 block of Kachel Road.

Zoning approval was needed because the tower site is in the general commercial district at an elevation of less than 800 feet. The property elevation is 520 feet.

The zoners also granted permission to exceed the usual 5-foot maximum height for the antennas on the tower. Witnesses for Sprint Nextel testified three 6-foot antennas would do the work of the six 5-foot antennas that would otherwise be required.

Witnesses also testified that the tower location would close a gap in service for Sprint Nextel customers, extending reliable service by between 1 and 2 miles in all directions.

- By Stephen F. DeLucas

• Like 2

NEW Cell Site Near Maple Grove Speedway (Reading, PA).

http://readingeagle.....aspx?id=467990

From readingeagle.com

The Brecknock Township Zoning Hearing Board has unanimously approved allowing a 120-foot high Sprint Nextel cellphone tower at the end of the 5000 block of Kachel Road.

Zoning approval was needed because the tower site is in the general commercial district at an elevation of less than 800 feet. The property elevation is 520 feet.

The zoners also granted permission to exceed the usual 5-foot maximum height for the antennas on the tower. Witnesses for Sprint Nextel testified three 6-foot antennas would do the work of the six 5-foot antennas that would otherwise be required.

Witnesses also testified that the tower location would close a gap in service for Sprint Nextel customers, extending reliable service by between 1 and 2 miles in all directions.

- By Stephen F. DeLucas

With Reading only 30 miles from Lancaster, this is promising news. I heard a rumor from a co-worker of mine that workers are starting in 1-2 weeks in Central PA more so Lancaster County. It cannot come soon enough!!!

So it looks like they are doing some testing in Horsham, my neighbor got a real brief LTE signal on his Galaxy S3, by the time I cycled airplane mode, it was gone...

It's been inconsistent in Fort Washington for a few days now. I was unable to get LTE this morning in spots where I can sometimes.

Was out in Exton/Downingtown a few weeks ago and had a fee minutes of 4g. Care more about better 3g, but 4g would be nice for simultaneous voice/data since LTE is the only option for the Note2.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

There are sites that have been fully lit with just T1 backhaul (Delaware Avenue across from Pier 70 comes to mind) so the process is moving.

Onto other news, my company is now focusing on South and Central Jersey with the majority of the work that still have to be done is new fiber construction, which slows things down considerably. We are focusing mostly on coastal communities and several of those sites have directional LTE arrays (the one site in particular in Margate has all three LTE attennas on a rack together all facing towards Wildwood instead of AC.) Philly itself has taken a slight back burner temporarily since Sprint and Alcatel-Lucent wants those sites on yesterday!!

• Like 2

We are focusing mostly on coastal communities and several of those sites have directional LTE arrays (the one site in particular in Margate has all three LTE attennas on a rack together all facing towards Wildwood instead of AC.) Philly itself has taken a slight back burner temporarily since Sprint and Alcatel-Lucent wants those sites on yesterday!!

So Avalon should be blanketed nicely? Should be good for bringing the mifi and not worrying about having a house with Internet.

So Avalon should be blanketed nicely? Should be good for bringing the mifi and not worrying about having a house with Internet.

Yea, I can definitely understand wanting to make beach areas a priority with the summer rapidly approaching.

• Like 1

So it looks like they are doing some testing in Horsham, my neighbor got a real brief LTE signal on his Galaxy S3, by the time I cycled airplane mode, it was gone...

I was getting great LTE today around the Pennsylvania Business Campus along Witmer Rd. Did a lot of mapping, and someone else hit some spots before I did including the power line trail off Dresher Rd.

• Like 1

There are sites that have been fully lit with just T1 backhaul (Delaware Avenue across from Pier 70 comes to mind) so the process is moving.

Onto other news, my company is now focusing on South and Central Jersey with the majority of the work that still have to be done is new fiber construction, which slows things down considerably. We are focusing mostly on coastal communities and several of those sites have directional LTE arrays (the one site in particular in Margate has all three LTE attennas on a rack together all facing towards Wildwood instead of AC.) Philly itself has taken a slight back burner temporarily since Sprint and Alcatel-Lucent wants those sites on yesterday!!

This is good news because the coast is a trouble spot for quality signal. when I'm in Brigantine, I usually end u having to put my phone in airplane mode unless I needs make a call. Otherwise I drain a ton of battery hunting for signal.

Interesting, seems like Dish Network is now interested in purchasing Sprint Nextel before the SoftBank purchase goes through.

There's a separate thread to discuss this. It's already up to eight pages.

What a difference a month makes...this was my commute this morning. I drive from Willow Grove to Horsham to drop my son at school, then head over to the PA Turnpike & head east to Bensalem. I then take Street Rd east to my office, which is 2 blocks from the interchange with I-95. You can't ask for much more than this:

post-12191-13662034176954_thumb.jpg

• Like 1